Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Squirt-bottle (dilute Dawn soap) stopped working; soap clogged it? Removable?

A 16 or 20 oz squirt bottle: I filled it with a VERY
dilute mixture of water and Dawn soap. Works fine
for squirting onto a dish or pan or dish-brush, great
at minimizing soap wastage and pollution of the water.

Problem: after maybe 6 or more months, it'll suddenly
stop working.

[Yes, I know that I can simply buy another for $4 or $5,
but I view as a challenge to make it work again. Also,
you might be on a camping trip, say, where it ISN'T so
easy to buy another!]

My only guess, other than that some cheap piece of the
plastic mechanism has broken or gear has separated, ie
mechanical problem, is that the soap has crudded it up
inside.

[However, it didn't *slowly* reduce spray amount, but
simply stopped 100%, suddenly.]

Anyway, suppose there is soap crudded up within the
narrow tube.

What to use to disolve it out?

I've tried hot (from tap) water, but to no effect.

Ideas?

---

Also, is there a way to fix these things, like shoving a thin nail into
the mechanism and wiggling, or other trick?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 11:28*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
[...]

I used to spend that range on 'high quality' sprayers only to find
they last anywhere from one day [that's right, one day] to one month,
even with careful rinsing after each use! I started collecting them
until found a way to dissaemble them and replace internal parts,
especially the rusted/broken springs that are exposed to whatever
chemical you're using. But, again the replacement/repair only worked
until the tiny little ball bearin valve rusted so it stopped working
too. Mad? yes. considering I had gone through over 40 of these at
$2.80 a pop.So I looked elsewhere.

Go to Walmart. Purchase their brand of bathroom clenaer in a spray
bottle that contains bleach [$1.88 to $2.37 depending where]

Use THAT sprayer ANYWHERE to spray ANYTHING. We found it will spray
soaps, bleach, etc for years before failing, and then seems to stop
only because of wearing out.

Spray is NOT adjustable, but for most applications, does not matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 12:28*am, (David Combs) wrote:
[...]

Soak it in hot water for several minutes every 4 months.

WIRE SOAP, ANYONE? jusme[_2_] Metalworking 16 March 25th 08 02:13 AM
dish soap.. [email protected] Woodturning 20 July 27th 07 03:57 PM
sugar soap Leslie Eaton UK diy 6 March 20th 06 01:29 PM
Soap dispenser miamicuse Home Repair 2 November 27th 05 02:30 AM
sugar soap [email protected] UK diy 5 August 1st 05 10:01 PM