Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs David Combs is offline

Default Squirt-bottle (dilute Dawn soap) stopped working; soap clogged it? Removable?

A 16 or 20 oz squirt bottle: I filled it with a VERY
dilute mixture of water and Dawn soap. Works fine
for squirting onto a dish or pan or dish-brush, great
at minimizing soap wastage and pollution of the water.

Problem: after maybe 6 or more months, it'll suddenly
stop working.

[Yes, I know that I can simply buy another for $4 or $5,
but I view as a challenge to make it work again. Also,
you might be on a camping trip, say, where it ISN'T so
easy to buy another!]

My only guess, other than that some cheap piece of the
plastic mechanism has broken or gear has separated, ie
mechanical problem, is that the soap has crudded it up
inside.

[However, it didn't *slowly* reduce spray amount, but
simply stopped 100%, suddenly.]

Anyway, suppose there is soap crudded up within the
narrow tube.

What to use to disolve it out?

I've tried hot (from tap) water, but to no effect.

Ideas?

---

Also, is there a way to fix these things, like shoving a thin nail into
the mechanism and wiggling, or other trick?

Thanks!

David