Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default melting polystyrene

Any one got a tip for reducing the volume of polystyrene packaging. I know burning it is effective but not popular !. I also noticed that certain petroleum products melt it but thats not very eco-friendly. So are there any alternative methods of reducing the volume of polystyrene packaging materials ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd be very careful whatever you do as the chemicals it gives off are very
toxic.
I have seen it kind of chipped into plastic bags, where, I assume it is
used for packaging or recycled.

There seems to be two distinct types though. One is the traditional kind
that is brittle and breaks easily the other is far more solid and rubbery
with what feels like a film over it.

The former type does seem to melt with acetone, or even quite low heats,
but both seem to cause a very nasty smell.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"fred" wrote in message
Any one got a tip for reducing the volume of polystyrene packaging. I know
burning it is effective but not popular !. I also noticed that certain
petroleum products melt it but thats not very eco-friendly. So are there any
alternative methods of reducing the volume of polystyrene packaging
materials ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 17, 2014 1:24:04 PM UTC, fred wrote:
Any one got a tip for reducing the volume of polystyrene packaging. I know burning it is effective but not popular !. I also noticed that certain petroleum products melt it but thats not very eco-friendly. So are there any alternative methods of reducing the volume of polystyrene packaging materials ?

shred, ebay
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
Any one got a tip for reducing the volume of polystyrene packaging. I
know burning it is effective but not popular !. I also noticed that
certain petroleum products melt it but thats not very eco-friendly. So
are there any alternative methods of reducing the volume of polystyrene
packaging materials ?

Alas no. I suspect this is why it's rarely recycled from domestic waste.
It's just too darned bulky.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's OK to burn it. Years ago they altered the formula so it doesn't
give out the deadly gases like it used to. It looks bad now when you
burn it, but the particulates are large and fall to the ground. There's
very little pollution. Trouble is prodnoses aren't aware of these facts,
so you need to do it at night.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred
writes
Any one got a tip for reducing the volume of polystyrene packaging. I
know burning it is effective but not popular !. I also noticed that
certain petroleum products melt it but thats not very eco-friendly. So
are there any alternative methods of reducing the volume of polystyrene
packaging materials ?

give it to a group of children, they will break it up into lots of small
pieces.

Do it outside and it will all blow away
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message
Any one got a tip for reducing the volume of polystyrene packaging. I know
burning it is effective but not popular !. I also noticed that certain
petroleum products melt it but thats not very eco-friendly. So are there any
alternative methods of reducing the volume of polystyrene packaging
materials ?

Petrol + expanded polystyrene = Napalm.

Interesting stuff to play with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 17:05:45 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

In message , fred
writes
Any one got a tip for reducing the volume of polystyrene packaging. I
know burning it is effective but not popular !. I also noticed that
certain petroleum products melt it but thats not very eco-friendly. So
are there any alternative methods of reducing the volume of polystyrene
packaging materials ?

give it to a group of children, they will break it up into lots of small
pieces.

Do it outside and it will all blow away

It's coming up to the time when children are told to build nativity
scenes at school. Let them take it in as snow.

G.Harman