Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Melting aluminum

Just took off the aluminum siding on the front of my house. I don't know if
it's worth the gasoline to drive it to the scrap metal dealer. I probably
have about 20 lbs.

Is this siding aluminum suitable for melting and casting?

Another question. My wife has three kilns. They go up to about 2000° F.
Can I just simply snip up a bunch of siding, place it in a cast iron skillet
and put it in one of her kilns? Just wondering.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Just took off the aluminum siding on the front of my house. I don't

know if
it's worth the gasoline to drive it to the scrap metal dealer. I

probably
have about 20 lbs.

Is this siding aluminum suitable for melting and casting?

Another question. My wife has three kilns. They go up to about

2000° F.
Can I just simply snip up a bunch of siding, place it in a cast iron

skillet
and put it in one of her kilns? Just wondering.

Ivan Vegvary

You are fighting physics. The ratio of surface area to volume of your
siding is far too high and as you melt it, it will form a very large
proportion of various aluminium oxides which will settle out as a
thick layer of dross on the surface of your melt. Melting it
commercially they would plunge it into an already molten pool of
aluminium so as to exclude the air. I found all this out when I
started casting a couple of decades ago and was re-cycling beer cans.
Produced as much dross as aluminium.

Now if you cut your siding into kiln sized pieces in a skillet, and
filled the kiln with an inert gas you'd be fine !

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Just took off the aluminum siding on the front of my house. I don't know if
it's worth the gasoline to drive it to the scrap metal dealer. I probably
have about 20 lbs.

Is this siding aluminum suitable for melting and casting?

Another question. My wife has three kilns. They go up to about 2000° F.
Can I just simply snip up a bunch of siding, place it in a cast iron skillet
and put it in one of her kilns? Just wondering.

Ivan Vegvary

its better to melt it in a ceramic container. the aluminum is caustic when its
molten and can eat through iron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

[...]

Pretty much what Andrew said, although I'd add that the vessel in which
you'd do the melting wouldn't be a good choice. Molten metals have
considerable solvent power------and will dissolve other metals when well
below their melting points. That principle is used in assaying, where
molten lead, reduced from litharge, collects metals that melt at much higher
temperatures (platinum, for example) and includes them in the button.
Platinum melts well over 3,000 degrees F, yet it is dissolved nicely by the
lead at a much lower temperature.

If your objective were to reduce the aluminum for the sake of the exercise,
a cast iron skillet would work, but you'd be contaminating the aluminum and
altering its characteristics. You would end up with aluminum that is of
poor quality. You'd also likely regret the stink and smoke that came from
the finish on the siding.

Extruded aluminum, or rolled aluminum doesn't cast as well as aluminum
alloyed for the purpose. If your objective is to use the resulting metal
for casting, you'd be far better served to re-melt existing castings, which
are alloyed appropriately and flow much better.

Right now, the scrap market is quite strong. If you have a recycling yard
near, you might be pleasantly surprised to find your material is worth the
trip. It's no retirement plan, but it should buy a nice lunch for you and
the Mrs.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 06:23:14 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ivan
Vegvary" quickly quoth:

Just took off the aluminum siding on the front of my house. I don't know if
it's worth the gasoline to drive it to the scrap metal dealer. I probably
have about 20 lbs.

Is this siding aluminum suitable for melting and casting?

Another question. My wife has three kilns. They go up to about 2000° F.
Can I just simply snip up a bunch of siding, place it in a cast iron skillet
and put it in one of her kilns? Just wondering.

Oh, sure. And the next time we hear from you, you'll be singing
soprano after the Bobbitting job she did on you. She'll like that as
much as you would like her cutting up the frozen turkey with your
metalcutting bandsaw.

For a hoot, google up "resawed beans" on the Wreck (rec.woodworking
newsgroup.) Then there was that Canuckistani guy who used his 20,000
RPM router for making whipped cream in the kitchen...

Besides, I'm sure you'd have much more fun building your own
propane-fired melting furnace.

--
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when
they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

Hearing these stories always makes me thankful for the mother and wife that
I have. We ate dinner on TV trays several times when I was in high school,
because I had my S.U. carburetors all in pieces on the dining room table,
and the smell of gasoline was too strong to eat there. And my wife never
complained when I used our oven for bending wood, tempering steel, or curing
industrial A-B cure epoxy.

You have to pick these important people in your life very carefully.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

For a hoot, google up "resawed beans" on the Wreck (rec.woodworking
newsgroup.) Then there was that Canuckistani guy who used his 20,000
RPM router for making whipped cream in the kitchen...

LOL!
Sounds just like me, when I used my Dremel to froth up some milk for a
cappuccino. Don't ask what happened. Just imagine the worst.

--
Jeff R.
(flat white, that day.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

Pretty much what Andrew said, although I'd add that the vessel in which
you'd do the melting wouldn't be a good choice. Molten metals have
considerable solvent power------and will dissolve other metals when well
below their melting points.

Harold,

Is that why the guy on the field's metal thread is saying the tin and
bismuth will combine with the indium at 313F?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

And my wife never
complained when I used our oven for bending wood, tempering steel, or curing
industrial A-B cure epoxy.

Well divorce works too but it is far more expensive than buying an oven for
the shop. I guess I can consider that last batch of springs I did in the
oven as a discount on the price of the divorce.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

erik litchy wrote:
... the aluminum is caustic
when its molten and can eat through iron.

Well, it might, but so slowly as to be irrelevant. I have melted
aluminum in sawed off propane torch cans (20 ga?) without any noticeable
thinning of the steel.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
. ..
erik litchy wrote:
... the aluminum is caustic when its molten and can eat through iron.

Well, it might, but so slowly as to be irrelevant. I have melted aluminum
in sawed off propane torch cans (20 ga?) without any noticeable thinning
of the steel.

Bob

It's a noticeable problem in aluminum diecasting, where the aluminum
impinges on the steel with some pressure and cuts right through the oxide to
the parent metal. Other than that, the process of dissolving iron in
aluminum is pretty slow, although, as others have said, it quickly becomes
enough to degrade the aluminum if you melt it in an iron or steel crucible.
One useful solution is Dave Gingery's method of using crucibles made from
"iron" pipe: he coated the inside with a thin wash of refractory clay and
allowed it to dry before using the crucible to melt aluminum.

Aluminum will dissolve in iron, and vice versa, even at temperatures far
below the melting point of iron. The two metals can exist in a very wide
range of solutions.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 09:33:20 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

And my wife never
complained when I used our oven for bending wood, tempering steel, or curing
industrial A-B cure epoxy.

Well divorce works too but it is far more expensive than buying an oven for
the shop. I guess I can consider that last batch of springs I did in the
oven as a discount on the price of the divorce.

I learned early on that people change in different ways and at
different rates, so marriage doesn't stay together for very long.
(Some exceptions are some of you old farts.)

By my 10th high school reunion, not ONE of the people I'd attended
high school with who'd gotten hitched (during/since high school) was
still married to the same person. Hell, even my parents got divorced
(and remarried to each other a year later.) At age 14, I attended my
grandfather's wedding. That was 8 years after my parent's wedding.
(Oops, that was Grandpa's second marriage. Never mind.)

The cheapest way around a divorce is to shack up with a disclaimer
clause for palimony (unless she supports YOU.

-- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" fired this volley in
:

It's a noticeable problem in aluminum diecasting, where the aluminum
impinges on the steel with some pressure and cuts right through the
oxide to the parent metal.

It's not the high-temperature "corrosivity" of aluminum that's at issue.
What happens is, iron oxide and aluminum enter into a Goldshmidt reaction
-- that is, the combination is Thermite.

This has the side effect of raising the interface temperature sharply,
further increasing the solubility of the iron in the aluminum.

Aluminum will dissolve in iron, and vice versa, even at temperatures
far below the melting point of iron. The two metals can exist in a
very wide range of solutions.

Yup. The best miniature soldering irons have tips masked with aluminum
plating to prevent any but the very tip to become tinned.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

33 years married to my first wife, here. She's a keeper.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks everybody!!!!

I think everybody. You've enlightened me on dross and saving my marriage.
What a group.

Thanks again,

Ivan Vegvary (will be driving to the recyler)

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Just took off the aluminum siding on the front of my house. I don't know
if it's worth the gasoline to drive it to the scrap metal dealer. I
probably have about 20 lbs.

Is this siding aluminum suitable for melting and casting?

Another question. My wife has three kilns. They go up to about 2000° F.
Can I just simply snip up a bunch of siding, place it in a cast iron
skillet and put it in one of her kilns? Just wondering.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

erik litchy wrote:
Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Just took off the aluminum siding on the front of my house. I don't know if
it's worth the gasoline to drive it to the scrap metal dealer. I probably
have about 20 lbs.

Is this siding aluminum suitable for melting and casting?

Another question. My wife has three kilns. They go up to about 2000? F.
Can I just simply snip up a bunch of siding, place it in a cast iron skillet
and put it in one of her kilns? Just wondering.

Ivan Vegvary

its better to melt it in a ceramic container. the aluminum is caustic when its
molten and can eat through iron.

molten aluminum eats cast iron really fast. I tried using a nice Lodge
melting pot with molten aluminum, That was a bad idea.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Ed sez: "33 years married to my first wife, here. She's a keeper."

Good on you two, Ed ! I'm sure you are both equally blessed

You didn't hear how long I've been married to my second wife. g

Yeah, we're lucky. Interestingly, many of our friends have been married
roughly as long. I guess that's why we're friends.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Bob Sez: "Well, it might, but so slowly as to be irrelevant. I have
melted
aluminum in sawed off propane torch cans (20 ga?) without any noticeable
thinning of the steel." That seems to be consistent with results of
aluminum melted via a rosebud
acet heater in a crucible.

This gets back to Harold's answer where he said (implied ? ) that
aluminum melted without a
sufficiently higher temperature than it's melting point would yield a
great deal of dross. At least
that is what I think he said. (Harold you want to jump back in here?)

Bob (easily confused) Swinney

That was Andrew, and it revolves around the huge surface area of thin
objects, which readily oxidize to form aluminum oxide. Once formed, it is
reduced only with an extremely high temperature, usually accomplished with
an arc furnace. It's not materially different from the reduction of
aluminum from ore, in other words.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

Pretty much what Andrew said, although I'd add that the vessel in which
you'd do the melting wouldn't be a good choice. Molten metals have
considerable solvent power------and will dissolve other metals when well
below their melting points.

Harold,

Is that why the guy on the field's metal thread is saying the tin and
bismuth will combine with the indium at 313F?

Wes

I've been real busy of late, and haven't followed that thread due to lack of
time, but I feel that's the point to which he's alluding.

Molten metals are wonderful solvents of other metals. Think how mercury
reacts to form amalgams. That's an excellent opportunity to see it happen
at ambient temperature.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Robert Swinney" wrote in message

Ed sez: "33 years married to my first wife, here. She's a keeper."

Good on you two, Ed ! I'm sure you are both equally blessed

You didn't hear how long I've been married to my second wife. g

Yeah, we're lucky. Interestingly, many of our friends have been married
roughly as long. I guess that's why we're friends.

--
Ed Huntress

And I just celebrated the 30th anniversary with the 2nd Mrs. W.

Adding that to 14 years with the first one makes for a total of 44 years
of married bliss.

No complaints, the dissolution of my first marriage was an perfect
example of what "clutch" said earlier on this thread:

"I learned early on that people change in different ways and at
different rates, so marriage doesn't stay together for very long."

And, the first spouse and I handled our divorce with courtesy and
respect for each other and we still have a nonacrimonious relationship.

I'm fond of bragging that my first divorce (Which I hope will also be my
only one.) is better than most marriages. G

I think that swans are doing better than homo sapiens with regard to
staying mated for life these days. I hear tell that 50% of all marriages
in the last few decades have ended in divorce.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Thanks everybody!!!!

I think everybody. You've enlightened me on dross and saving my marriage.
What a group.

Thanks again,

Ivan Vegvary (will be driving to the recyler)

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

Just took off the aluminum siding on the front of my house. I don't know
if it's worth the gasoline to drive it to the scrap metal dealer. I
probably have about 20 lbs.

Is this siding aluminum suitable for melting and casting?

Another question. My wife has three kilns. They go up to about 2000° F.
Can I just simply snip up a bunch of siding, place it in a cast iron
skillet and put it in one of her kilns? Just wondering.

Ivan Vegvary

I may have missed seeing it mentioned, but I'd iexpect that all that
paint or whatever coating is on the siding would likely make one heaven
of a stink when it burned off.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:
erik litchy wrote:
Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Just took off the aluminum siding on the front of my house. I don't know if
it's worth the gasoline to drive it to the scrap metal dealer. I probably
have about 20 lbs.

Is this siding aluminum suitable for melting and casting?

Another question. My wife has three kilns. They go up to about 2000? F.
Can I just simply snip up a bunch of siding, place it in a cast iron skillet
and put it in one of her kilns? Just wondering.

Ivan Vegvary

its better to melt it in a ceramic container. the aluminum is caustic when its
molten and can eat through iron.

molten aluminum eats cast iron really fast. I tried using a nice Lodge
melting pot with molten aluminum, That was a bad idea.

I've had some success with stainless steel cookware (NOT from the
kitchen, nor in the oven
I assume this works because stainless protects itself with an inert
layer of oxide, which even the aluminium can't eat.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Larry Jaques :

[ ... ]

I learned early on that people change in different ways and at
different rates, so marriage doesn't stay together for very long.
(Some exceptions are some of you old farts.)

Well ... I didn't get married until I was 35, and I'm still
married (to the same person) at age 66. I guess that qualifies me as an
old fart, but it also speaks in favor of not being too eager to get
married right away.

And my wife is amazingly tolerant of my hobbies (since the
hobbies don't include other women. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 6:48 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
[...]

Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

Ed...you have been blessed.

In my case I would have been hind and quartered.

Give your special people a thank you from the group.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Jeff Wisnia wrote on Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:17:00
-0400 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I think that swans are doing better than homo sapiens with regard to
staying mated for life these days. I hear tell that 50% of all marriages
in the last few decades have ended in divorce.

That's because most of those getting divorced, are repeat offenders
(What's Liz Taylor up to now, #9?)
Got a buddy, he's just been divorced by wife number three. Wife #1
is happily remarried, Wife #2 is "happily" single again.
OTOH, I've an old flame who was married three times. Divorced the
last one, and when he was moping & whining about it, everyone told him
"You were lucky, the first two died!"
--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
Well ... I didn't get married until I was 35, and I'm still
married (to the same person) at age 66. I guess that qualifies me as an
old fart, but it also speaks in favor of not being too eager to get
married right away.

And my wife is amazingly tolerant of my hobbies (since the
hobbies don't include other women. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Well, Right on Don. I got married at 25 and yesterday marked
50 yrs with the same woman. Society just isn't the same any longer.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
DoN. Nichols wrote:
Well ... I didn't get married until I was 35, and I'm still
married (to the same person) at age 66. I guess that qualifies me as an
old fart, but it also speaks in favor of not being too eager to get
married right away. And my wife is amazingly tolerant of my hobbies
(since the
hobbies don't include other women. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Well, Right on Don. I got married at 25 and yesterday marked
50 yrs with the same woman. Society just isn't the same any longer.
...lew...

Hey, congratulations, Lew. That's quite a milestone.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
snip-

And I just celebrated the 30th anniversary with the 2nd Mrs. W.

Adding that to 14 years with the first one makes for a total of 44 years
of married bliss.

Heh!

You and I must have worked from the same book. I, too, was married for 14
years to my ex, and just passed 30 years with my current bride----a keeper.
I was just shy of my 22nd. birthday when I married the first time.

That marriage was dissolved without a great deal of rancor, with a single
attorney. Being free from her, the woman from hell, is the best thing that
ever happened to me.

Women are not all alike!

Harold

No complaints, the dissolution of my first marriage was an perfect example
of what "clutch" said earlier on this thread:

"I learned early on that people change in different ways and at
different rates, so marriage doesn't stay together for very long."

And, the first spouse and I handled our divorce with courtesy and respect
for each other and we still have a nonacrimonious relationship.

I'm fond of bragging that my first divorce (Which I hope will also be my
only one.) is better than most marriages. G

I think that swans are doing better than homo sapiens with regard to
staying mated for life these days. I hear tell that 50% of all marriages
in the last few decades have ended in divorce.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 10:08:36 -0600, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:
Well ... I didn't get married until I was 35, and I'm still
married (to the same person) at age 66. I guess that qualifies me as an
old fart, but it also speaks in favor of not being too eager to get
married right away.

And my wife is amazingly tolerant of my hobbies (since the
hobbies don't include other women. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Well, Right on Don. I got married at 25 and yesterday marked
50 yrs with the same woman. Society just isn't the same any longer.
...lew...

Hey Lew,

Congratulations to you both.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:
Well ... I didn't get married until I was 35, and I'm still
married (to the same person) at age 66. I guess that qualifies me as an
old fart, but it also speaks in favor of not being too eager to get
married right away.

And my wife is amazingly tolerant of my hobbies (since the
hobbies don't include other women. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Well, Right on Don. I got married at 25 and yesterday marked
50 yrs with the same woman. Society just isn't the same any longer.
...lew...

Couldn't agree more 23 & 45
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
Well ... I didn't get married until I was 35, and I'm still
married (to the same person) at age 66. I guess that qualifies me as an
old fart, but it also speaks in favor of not being too eager to get
married right away.
And my wife is amazingly tolerant of my hobbies (since the
hobbies don't include other women. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Well, Right on Don. I got married at 25 and yesterday marked
50 yrs with the same woman. Society just isn't the same any longer.
...lew...

Married at 19 just marked 41 years with the first and only woman.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Lew Hartswick :
DoN. Nichols wrote:
Well ... I didn't get married until I was 35, and I'm still
married (to the same person) at age 66. I guess that qualifies me as an
old fart, but it also speaks in favor of not being too eager to get
married right away.

[ ... ]

Well, Right on Don. I got married at 25 and yesterday marked
50 yrs with the same woman. Society just isn't the same any longer.

Congratulations! I've got almost another twenty years to make
it to that point, and since I married later, I will be 81 at that point.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One useful solution is Dave Gingery's method of using crucibles made from

"iron" pipe: he coated the inside with a thin wash of refractory clay
and
allowed it to dry before using the crucible to melt aluminum.
Ed Huntress

This will work if you have to use a steel pipe crucible and is a good
plan even with a cast iron pot. I discovered the solvent properties
of molten aluminum back when I first started casting and decided to
make a crucible from a length of 4" i.d. steel pipe with a 1/4" thick
plate welded to the bottom. I fired it 4 times and a hole formed in
the bottom. It was just a pinhole but it was enough to let aluminum
flood the bottom of the furnace. Now I melt aluminum in a cast iron
pot coated inside and outside with furnace cement from the hardware
store thinned with water to a thick paint and brushed onto the warm
metal. This lasts for 2 or 3 heats and can easily be renewed when
neccessary.

Mike