Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] knuckle-dragger@nowhere.gov is offline

Default Melting Bar Soap?

burfordTjustice wrote:

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 10:55:52 -0400
Wade Garrett wrote:

On 4/21/17 1:52 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in
news41kfc5b4achekatlv5q5sa329hesn50iq@ 4ax.com:

I have a container full of little left-over fragments of bar soap.

I would like to melt them down and pour a nice big bar of soap.

Tried microwaving both with and without added water, but no-go.

I guess stovetop in a double boiler is next.

Is melting bar soap possible?

Yes, but it's WAY more work than it's worth. Did it once, never
again. It takes hours. What's a bar of soap cost, fifty cents? Just
throw them out. Then, next time you have a bar worn down to a
sliver, and unwrap a new bar, get both of them good and wet and
press the sliver onto the new bar and keep using it.

Works with most bar soaps- but not with Dove brand though.

Works with Dove White bar.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the "Soap Saver" product which
is specifically designed for this problem. It's an envelope of the
rough type netting (multiple layers) with a draw-string and slip knob
closure into which you put the bar soap remnants and then you use it
to wash yourself. The remnants soon merge into one chunk to which you
can add new remnants as they become available. I haven't thrown out a
remnant since I got my first Soap Saver.

The downsides a

1) the netting is a little too rough for one's intimate parts but
seems to be good for legs, arms, shoulders and feet--in fact you feel
cleaner. Given this my wife refuses to use it on her "delicate" skin
(all her skin is delicate according to her) so she gives me all the
remnants. The same netting (but not the Soap Saver) is sold in places
like Sephora for general washing so I think the "delicate" problem is
in her imagination.

2) the netting joins together at the bottom but it's not well sewn
(probably not possible to improve) and the string frays easily,

3) the cost is about $1.99 at the dollar store (much more at the
Container Store).

I doubt you save money in the long term but you do avoid the
aggravation of trying to wash yourself with little slivers and you
have the psychic feeling of saving the planet (something like that) in
being economical.