Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery drain

Hey I got a new radio for Christmas after 3 days of installing my car
died...we jumped it off and ran just fine that day...over night it died...got
a new battery replaced n fix the wiring on the radio...car ran fine until a
few days ago...same problem it dies within a 8 hours period...the alternater
has been recently replaced n when I unhook the cable it runs...now it's at the
mechanics and they even unhook the radio n the car still dies over
night...it's an Infiniti qx4 2001...I've had the car for 3yrs n the problem
started with aftermarket radio...any ideas

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1123863-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 03:44:03 GMT, Jessie m wrote:

Hey I got a new radio for Christmas after 3 days of installing my car
died...we jumped it off and ran just fine that day...over night it died...got
a new battery replaced n fix the wiring on the radio...car ran fine until a
few days ago...same problem it dies within a 8 hours period...the alternater
has been recently replaced n when I unhook the cable it runs...now it's at the
mechanics and they even unhook the radio n the car still dies over
night...it's an Infiniti qx4 2001...I've had the car for 3yrs n the problem
started with aftermarket radio...any ideas

Jessie,

First, this is a home repair news group, not an auto repair news group, in case you didn't notice the groups name.
Secondly, you should have paid more attention in school when you were suppose to be learning the English language.
Thirdly, the idiot that installed the radio did a ****ty job probably because he (you?) didn't understand what you
should have learned in school. Last, but not least, read the ****ing manual because you ****ed up -- again!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/11/2017 10:44 PM, Jessie wrote:
Hey I got a new radio for Christmas after 3 days of installing my car
died...we jumped it off and ran just fine that day...over night it
died...got
a new battery replaced n fix the wiring on the radio...car ran fine
until a
few days ago...same problem it dies within a 8 hours period...the
alternater
has been recently replaced n when I unhook the cable it runs...now
it's at the
mechanics and they even unhook the radio n the car still dies over
night...it's an Infiniti qx4 2001...I've had the car for 3yrs n the
problem
started with aftermarket radio...any ideas

1. Measure the charging voltage (with the car running).

2. Measure the current draw on the battery with everything off.

Report back

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 11:16:18 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 03:44:03 GMT, Jessie m wrote:

Hey I got a new radio for Christmas after 3 days of installing my car
died...we jumped it off and ran just fine that day...over night it died...got
a new battery replaced n fix the wiring on the radio...car ran fine until a
few days ago...same problem it dies within a 8 hours period...the alternater
has been recently replaced n when I unhook the cable it runs...now it's at the
mechanics and they even unhook the radio n the car still dies over
night...it's an Infiniti qx4 2001...I've had the car for 3yrs n the problem
started with aftermarket radio...any ideas

Jessie,

First, this is a home repair news group, not an auto repair news group, in case you didn't notice the groups name.

Is that the same response you post to every OT thread in this newsgroup? Thousands of political
posts each month and you push back on a question that actually discusses the need to repair
something. Really?

Secondly, you should have paid more attention in school when you were suppose to be learning the English language.

Kettle, meet Black. Black, meet Kettle.

The structure of your "First" sentence grammatically sucks and you didn't use the progressive
form of "group's".

Thirdly, the idiot that installed the radio did a ****ty job probably because he (you?) didn't understand what you
should have learned in school. Last, but not least, read the ****ing manual because you ****ed up -- again!

So helpful, so very helpful. Crawl back into your hole now. We have no need for you here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/11/2017 09:44 PM, Jessie wrote:
Hey I got a new radio for Christmas after 3 days of installing my car
died...we jumped it off and ran just fine that day...over night it
died...got
a new battery replaced n fix the wiring on the radio...car ran fine until a
few days ago...same problem it dies within a 8 hours period...the
alternater
has been recently replaced n when I unhook the cable it runs...now it's
at the
mechanics and they even unhook the radio n the car still dies over
night...it's an Infiniti qx4 2001...I've had the car for 3yrs n the problem
started with aftermarket radio...any ideas

First off, you need to find a mechanic that knows how to actually check
your electrical system rather than just blindly throw parts at it. You
probably did not need an alternator or battery. That said, if your
battery was over five years old, replacing it was probably not a bad
precaution.

With the engine running, check the battery voltage , it should be
approx. 13.8 volts plus or minus .2 volts is normal

If that is OK then obviously something is draining the battery
overnight. Since you would probably notice a light on, it might be the
trunk light...I'd check the trunk light switch first then go from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/12/2017 09:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Is that the same response you post to every OT thread in this newsgroup? Thousands of political
posts each month and you push back on a question that actually discusses the need to repair
something. Really?

***Please do not feed the troll***
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 10:27:48 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

Since it started with the install of the new, apparently aftermarket
radio, I'd suspect it's possible something is wired up wrong there.
These cars have all kinds of computers and screwing up something
with the radio could result in something else staying on. I'd
start with just disconnecting the new radio as an obvious test.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 10:14:25 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

That be "possessive". (I hate my iPad)

Thirdly, the idiot that installed the radio did a ****ty job probably because he (you?) didn't understand what you
should have learned in school. Last, but not least, read the ****ing manual because you ****ed up -- again!

So helpful, so very helpful. Crawl back into your hole now. We have no need for you here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 9:44:06 PM UTC-6, Jessie wrote:
Hey I got a new radio for Christmas after 3 days of installing my car
died...we jumped it off and ran just fine that day...over night it died....got
a new battery replaced n fix the wiring on the radio...car ran fine until a
few days ago...same problem it dies within a 8 hours period...the alternater
has been recently replaced n when I unhook the cable it runs...now it's at the
mechanics and they even unhook the radio n the car still dies over
night...it's an Infiniti qx4 2001...I've had the car for 3yrs n the problem
started with aftermarket radio...any ideas
--

Was any part of your new stereo put in the glove box or behind it? Did the installer remove the glove box door or interior to access the space and wiring behind the glove box? It's possible that your glove box light is staying on because some action by the installers knocked it and the glove box door out of alignment. You could get in the car at night and with the overhead lights off, look around the glove box to see if there is any light. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Box Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 07:57:25 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 10:14:25 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The structure of your "First" sentence grammatically sucks and you didn't use the progressive
form of "group's".

That be "possessive". (I hate my iPad)

You dodged the bullet on that one DD. I had noticed your egregious error,
and was preparing the mother of all grammar flames when I noticed your
retraction.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/12/2017 9:56 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Since it started with the install of the new, apparently aftermarket
radio, I'd suspect it's possible something is wired up wrong there.
These cars have all kinds of computers and screwing up something
with the radio could result in something else staying on. I'd
start with just disconnecting the new radio as an obvious test.

"..now it's at the mechanic's and they even unhook[ed] the radio [a]n[d]
the car still dies overnight.."

Would agree it's good possibility the install did something bad, but
seems to be more than just what is powering the radio...unless, of
course, the chump mechanic didn't actually disconnect the radio but
something else...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 11:40:50 AM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 07:57:25 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 10:14:25 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The structure of your "First" sentence grammatically sucks and you didn't use the progressive
form of "group's".

That be "possessive". (I hate my iPad)

You dodged the bullet on that one DD. I had noticed your egregious error,
and was preparing the mother of all grammar flames when I noticed your
retraction.

I have no problem admitting my errors. I'll bet Gordo doesn't do the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 09:27:40 -0600, philo wrote:

First off, you need to find a mechanic that knows how to actually check
your electrical system rather than just blindly throw parts at it. You
probably did not need an alternator or battery. That said, if your
battery was over five years old, replacing it was probably not a bad
precaution.

With the engine running, check the battery voltage , it should be
approx. 13.8 volts plus or minus .2 volts is normal

If that is OK then obviously something is draining the battery
overnight. Since you would probably notice a light on, it might be the
trunk light...I'd check the trunk light switch first then go from there.

_How To Perform a Parasitic Draw Test - EricTheCarGuy _

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

I have seen an instance in an older car where the brake pedal
depressed just a bit, not enough the light the brake lights, but the
pedal switch was causing the drain.... FWIW.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 12:44:33 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
[...]

Honda Odyssey's have been known to have problems with the multiple contacts
involved with the power sliding doors. Everything works fine, no lights or
buzzers, but a bad contact causes enough parasitic draw to drain the battery
overnight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/12/2017 09:56 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

You are probably right
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/12/2017 10:09 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Doggone it. The other day I yelled at you for making what I thought was
a stupid political post and now you made one much smarter than the one I
made about checking the trunk light ...because the glove box is way more
likely...so now that you have made me look like an idiot (which is not
all that hard) could you kindly go back to making stupid political posts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/12/2017 12:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 12:44:33 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:

I have seen an instance in an older car where the brake pedal
depressed just a bit, not enough the light the brake lights, but the
pedal switch was causing the drain.... FWIW.

Honda Odyssey's have been known to have problems with the multiple contacts
involved with the power sliding doors. Everything works fine, no lights or
buzzers, but a bad contact causes enough parasitic draw to drain the battery
overnight.

LOL

Read that as "Homer's Odyssey"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 4:14:01 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 02/12/2017 12:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 12:44:33 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:

I have seen an instance in an older car where the brake pedal
depressed just a bit, not enough the light the brake lights, but the
pedal switch was causing the drain.... FWIW.

Honda Odyssey's have been known to have problems with the multiple contacts
involved with the power sliding doors. Everything works fine, no lights or
buzzers, but a bad contact causes enough parasitic draw to drain the battery
overnight.

LOL

Read that as "Homer's Odyssey"

I understand your confusion. Homer's Odyssey was an LX trim level. The power
sliding doors are only available on the EX trim and above. ;-)

I had an LX for a while, until Mother Nature convinced me to upgrade.

http://i.imgur.com/aqbXjIu.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 16:33:28 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

That must've been a real drain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

If that is OK then obviously something is draining the battery
overnight. Since you would probably notice a light on, it might be the
trunk light...I'd check the trunk light switch first then go from there.

My first car was like that. It took a long time to find the problem,
glove compartment light switch.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 07:56:55 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

Since it started with the install of the new, apparently aftermarket
radio, I'd suspect it's possible something is wired up wrong there.
These cars have all kinds of computers and screwing up something
with the radio could result in something else staying on. I'd
start with just disconnecting the new radio as an obvious test.

I agree. And the radio should be wired to the original radio power wire,
NOT the light wire for the radio dial light. OR connect it to the cig
lighter power.

To eliminate any power drain overnight, go to an auto parts store and
buy a battery disconnect switch. It mounts on the battery and the cable
goes to the other side of the switch. You just need to open the hood and
shut it off when you park for the night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 16:33:28 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote:

I had an LX for a while, until Mother Nature convinced me to upgrade.

http://i.imgur.com/aqbXjIu.jpg

From the picture, it does not look like a total loss. I'm guessing that the
driver's 'post' is out of position and thus the whole car would not be safe
during a mobile accident.

And I'm a bit curious about the texture of the driver's window. Is it
fractured but with the pieces remaining integrated?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 9:00:54 PM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 16:33:28 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote:

I had an LX for a while, until Mother Nature convinced me to upgrade.

http://i.imgur.com/aqbXjIu.jpg

From the picture, it does not look like a total loss. I'm guessing that the
driver's 'post' is out of position and thus the whole car would not be safe
during a mobile accident.

And I'm a bit curious about the texture of the driver's window. Is it
fractured but with the pieces remaining integrated?

The tree hit the roof just above the driver's side of the windshield and then slid
down to the hood. The initial impact pushed the driver's door towards the rear. It
"opened" enough to overlap the slider by about a half inch. If you look at the top
of the seam between the 2 doors you'll see that the driver's door is slightly lower
than the slider. You can also see the gap at the lower front corner of the door.

If you saw the van after the tree was removed, you'd see the impression of the top
of the strut tower in the hood. It didn't quite punch through, but it was close.

Yes, the windshield was cracked, but intact.

Tip: Don't ever accept the first offer from the ins co. They offered me $3300. I said no.
Less than 24 hours later they came back with an offer of $5200. That was acceptable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/11/2017 10:44 PM, Jessie wrote:
Hey I got a new radio for Christmas after 3 days of installing my car
died...we jumped it off and ran just fine that day...over night it
died...got
a new battery replaced n fix the wiring on the radio...car ran fine
until a
few days ago...same problem it dies within a 8 hours period...the
alternater
has been recently replaced n when I unhook the cable it runs...now
it's at the
mechanics and they even unhook the radio n the car still dies over
night...it's an Infiniti qx4 2001...I've had the car for 3yrs n the
problem
started with aftermarket radio...any ideas

A good mechanic has a device similar to this they can use to check the
current through each circuit at the fuse panel.

https://www.amazon.com/ESI-304B-Fuse.../dp/B0013G2AI0

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A few years ago a huge tree fell on a car near here.
The next morning, the parking checker put a ticket on it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

The OP mentioned that he bought a new battery but it has been drained flat multiple times since.

I'm not a battery expert but in previous discussions here, others have asserted that every time you drain a battery you lose 1/2 it's life. After 4 - 5 times, you're done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/13/2017 10:30 AM, TimR wrote:
The OP mentioned that he bought a new battery but it has been drained flat multiple times since.

I'm not a battery expert but in previous discussions here, others have asserted that every time you drain a battery you lose 1/2 it's life. After 4 - 5 times, you're done.

I worked in the battery field for 38 years.

A traditional lead acid battery is alloyed with antimony to give the
plates strength and can handle many deep discharges. The industry has
now moved to a lead-calcium alloy to greatly reduce water consumption.
(Maintenance free)

The lead calcium batteries do not handle a deep discharge well at all.

Though it probably would not lose half it's life with one deep
discharge, it would probably handle less than 5% of the deep discharges
of a lead-antimony battery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 5:49:10 PM UTC-6, philo wrote:
On 02/13/2017 10:30 AM, TimR wrote:
The OP mentioned that he bought a new battery but it has been drained flat multiple times since.

I'm not a battery expert but in previous discussions here, others have asserted that every time you drain a battery you lose 1/2 it's life. After 4 - 5 times, you're done.

I worked in the battery field for 38 years.

A traditional lead acid battery is alloyed with antimony to give the
plates strength and can handle many deep discharges. The industry has
now moved to a lead-calcium alloy to greatly reduce water consumption.
(Maintenance free)

The lead calcium batteries do not handle a deep discharge well at all.

Though it probably would not lose half it's life with one deep
discharge, it would probably handle less than 5% of the deep discharges
of a lead-antimony battery.

How do AGM batteries hold up? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Lead Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/13/2017 05:56 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Very well, they are designed for deep discharge..

Typically the 6v golf-cart type battery will give you the most
ampere-hours for the dollar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 6:01:39 PM UTC-6, philo wrote:
[...]

From what I understand about the construction of AGM batteries is that the plates are pure lead and supported by the fiberglass mat thus there is no antimony since it's unnecessary. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Acidic Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/14/2017 03:23 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

From what I understand about the construction of AGM batteries is that the plates are pure lead and supported by the fiberglass mat thus there is no antimony since it's unnecessary. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Acidic Monster

This explains things better than I could

http://www.hendonpub.com/police_flee...ery_technology
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 01:23:47 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

From what I understand about the construction of AGM batteries is that the plates are pure lead and supported by the fiberglass mat thus there is no antimony since it's unnecessary. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Acidic Monster

True of at least a large numbewr of the higher end AGM batteries -
not sure if it is a "universal fact"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/14/2017 05:59 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Ony handle less than 5% of the deep discharges
of a lead-antimony battery.

How do AGM batteries hold up? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Lead Monster

Very well, they are designed for deep discharge..

Typically the 6v golf-cart type battery will give you the most
ampere-hours for the dollar.

From what I understand about the construction of AGM batteries is that the plates are pure lead and supported by the fiberglass mat thus there is no antimony since it's unnecessary. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Acidic Monster

This explains things better than I could
http://www.hendonpub.com/police_flee...ery_technology

Thanks for the link! The information has gone into my technical knowledge collection. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Info Monster

Since I worked mainly with industrial forklift batteries, I have to
admit I leaned quite a bit from that article too

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 6:41:35 AM UTC-6, philo wrote:
On 02/14/2017 05:59 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Ony handle less than 5% of the deep discharges
of a lead-antimony battery.

How do AGM batteries hold up? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Lead Monster

Very well, they are designed for deep discharge..

Typically the 6v golf-cart type battery will give you the most
ampere-hours for the dollar.

From what I understand about the construction of AGM batteries is that the plates are pure lead and supported by the fiberglass mat thus there is no antimony since it's unnecessary. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Acidic Monster

This explains things better than I could
http://www.hendonpub.com/police_flee...ery_technology

Thanks for the link! The information has gone into my technical knowledge collection. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Info Monster

Since I worked mainly with industrial forklift batteries, I have to
admit I leaned quite a bit from that article too

It's real information derived from real life experience not theory. That's the best kind of information I look for. I got a call one time from a grocery store where there was a problem with the small electric forklift in the stock room. I know it may appear to be cliché but I whacked an electric solenoid with a hammer and the forklift started working again. The store manager asked,"You're charging me $65.00 to hit it with a hammer?" My response was,"No, I'm charging you $65.00 for knowing WHERE to hit it." It's a true story which repeated itself on more than one occasion. I always resisted the urge to whack store managers on the head with my hammer. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Hammered Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2017 12:26 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

It's real information derived from real life experience not theory. That's the best kind of information I look for. I got a call one time from a grocery store where there was a problem with the small electric forklift in the stock room. I know it may appear to be cliché but I whacked an electric solenoid with a hammer and the forklift started working again. The store manager asked,"You're charging me $65.00 to hit it with a hammer?" My response was,"No, I'm charging you $65.00 for knowing WHERE to hit it." It's a true story which repeated itself on more than one occasion. I always resisted the urge to whack store managers on the head with my hammer. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Hammered Monster

I usually referred forklift repairs to the dealer, but if it was an easy
problem I'd fix it.

I also had seen a few pallet jack trucks that used a cheap car solenoid
that would weld shut. Though a temporary repair was to give it a whack,
I would replace them with a very heavy duty version and AFAIK they never
had a problem again.

By the time I retired we were charging $100 and hour but since I worked
fast and did it right got close to zero complaints.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 12:59:26 PM UTC-6, philo wrote:
[...]

My brother and friends are taking up my slack since I can't get out in the field anymore. What I have been doing is helping them by finding material online and writing proposals and bids. I can't walk but I can help with the business anywhere there is an Internet connection. Last year, Stinky and Pork Chop ran 800 feet of fiber optic cable and 1,600 feet of Cat6. They installed a gigabit switch and fiber optic connection cabinets plus fiber to Ethernet converters that connected the networks and phone lines which were 800 feet apart. Darn it, I wish I could have been in on the installation but my part was to find and order all the material plus write the proposal/bid. I get mad when I hear someone say they can't find a job because I can find work and I'm in a wheelchair! What they can't find is a skill that's in demand. Before I became to sick and disabled to work, I was doing work as an independent service tech for several national service organizations that had service contracts with places like Sears, Walmart, AutoZone and a lot of other retail stores. I installed electrical circuits for a lot of Redbox vending machines and before I had to stop, I was installing a lot of VoIP systems. It's very frustrating to be unable to get up and go. ヽ(à²*_à²*)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Frustrated Monster