Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery Drain Mystery

I have in my home a Microsoft wireless keyboard which uses 3 AA batteries.
It transmits to a nearby receiver which is connected to a USB port on the
computer. When the keyboard was new, the batteries would last for 7 or 8
months. For some strange reason, I'm now changing them monthly.

Recently, I was away for a week and the system was completely shut down.
When I returned and booted up, the keyboard was lifeless. I tested the
batteries, and they tested completely and totally drained on my meter.
That's unusual, because they usually test just weak when I replace them.
So, while I was gone and the system was off, something drained the batteries
completely.

At first, I assumed it was the keyboard, so I replaced it with another one
of the same model, an older one that I still had on hand. Same result, one
month. Does this make sense to anyone? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron P" wrote in
:

I have in my home a Microsoft wireless keyboard which uses 3 AA
batteries. It transmits to a nearby receiver which is connected to a
USB port on the computer. When the keyboard was new, the batteries
would last for 7 or 8 months. For some strange reason, I'm now
changing them monthly.

Recently, I was away for a week and the system was completely shut
down. When I returned and booted up, the keyboard was lifeless. I
tested the batteries, and they tested completely and totally drained
on my meter. That's unusual, because they usually test just weak when
I replace them. So, while I was gone and the system was off, something
drained the batteries completely.

At first, I assumed it was the keyboard, so I replaced it with another
one of the same model, an older one that I still had on hand. Same
result, one month. Does this make sense to anyone? Thanks.

maybe a stuck key that causes the keyboard to constantly emit the IR
signal? Or something pressing a key.... something laying on the KB?
Or dirt/crud causing leakage that makes the KB emit the IR signal
constantly.
Idea;try using a digital camera to view the IR emitter to see if it's on
when there's no keys depressed. Press a key to see what happens that
way,too.

Maybe you should switch to those pre-charged NiMH rechargeables.
They hold their charge much better than ordinary NiMH cells.
Then you can recharge them every so often and not buy so many alkaline
cells.

as a last resort,you could clean your KB in the auto dishwasher(alone,not
with dishes..) and dry -thoroughly- with a hair dryer.
use a gel detergent,not the abrasive powder detergents.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron P wrote:
[...]

Hi,
It may not be KB problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron P wrote:
I have in my home a Microsoft wireless keyboard which uses 3 AA
batteries. It transmits to a nearby receiver which is connected to a
USB port on the computer. When the keyboard was new, the batteries
would last for 7 or 8 months. For some strange reason, I'm now
changing them monthly.
Recently, I was away for a week and the system was completely shut
down. When I returned and booted up, the keyboard was lifeless. I
tested the batteries, and they tested completely and totally drained
on my meter. That's unusual, because they usually test just weak when
I replace them. So, while I was gone and the system was off,
something drained the batteries completely.

At first, I assumed it was the keyboard, so I replaced it with
another one of the same model, an older one that I still had on hand.
Same result, one month. Does this make sense to anyone? Thanks.

Any good reason to use a wireless keyboard? They seem pretty pointless to me for
most desktop usage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 May 2010 11:35:07 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:
Ron P wrote:
[...]

The KB is the only device connected to the batteries and is solely
responsible for battery drain. Like it or not, it's time to switch
brands.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 1:36*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Ron P wrote:
[...]

most desktop usage.- Hide quoted text -

I use logitec's bluetooth wireless keyboard and it has an on/off
switch. You can turn it off when it is not being used. It has a
mouse pad on it as well. Great for use in an easy chair or couch.
Works with my ps3 as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron P" wrote in message
[...]

I'd replace the batteries. Test the battery theory by just
sticking in alkalines and seeing how they last. Just don't try
recharging them. Most rechargeable batteries have a lower output
voltage than alkaline batteries and as they age, it gets even
lower. My guess is that the rechargeables in your keyboard are
getting tired.

--
Nonny
On most days,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 12:13*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Ron P" wrote :

[...]

dot com- Hide quoted text -

Good idea, My camera and digicam sees IR, that is how ive tested
remotes that were dead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message

Any good reason to use a wireless keyboard? They seem pretty pointless to
me for most desktop usage.

I like mine and I'd never go back to a cord. Easily moved out of the way
when I need more open space. YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron P wrote:
I have in my home a Microsoft wireless keyboard which uses 3 AA
batteries. It transmits to a nearby receiver which is connected to a
USB port on the computer. When the keyboard was new, the batteries
would last for 7 or 8 months. For some strange reason, I'm now
changing them monthly.
Recently, I was away for a week and the system was completely shut
down. When I returned and booted up, the keyboard was lifeless. I
tested the batteries, and they tested completely and totally drained
on my meter. That's unusual, because they usually test just weak when
I replace them. So, while I was gone and the system was off,
something drained the batteries completely.

At first, I assumed it was the keyboard, so I replaced it with
another one of the same model, an older one that I still had on hand.
Same result, one month. Does this make sense to anyone? Thanks.

Rig a milliamp meter between the battery and the keyboard. See what's going
on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nonny" wrote in message

"Ron P" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, but I've always used new alkalines, not rechargeables.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

How is this done? I just now tried pointing my camera at the keyboard and
hitting some keys. I didn't see any change in the display.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 May 2010 13:31:12 -0700, "Ron P" wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Many of them are RF (radio). There is no IR to see. All I can think
of that would affect both your current as well as the older
replacement keyboard are leaky capacitors that cause more current
drain than the design called for. If that's it, it would be age
related rather than usage related. Or, as others said, someone places
something on your keyboard that presses a key continuously. You
probalby would have noticed that. Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron P wrote:
[...]

Could the batteries be from a batch that was at some point stored in a
hot environment?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

It is old, maybe 7-8 years, and you're right, it is RF. I should have
realized that. I should probably get a new one, but I've yet to see one
with a special key assortment/selection that I like as much. Plus, the
Windows 7 drivers work well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Windows 7 drivers work well.- Hide quoted text -

Rf ok , it wont work sorry I was thinking an IR led. could it be
transmitting continously from a stuck key, maybe a real cleaning could
help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron P wrote:
[...]

You tried another keyboard and the same thing happens? This is really
odd unless it is a common problem for that model keyboard. Do the
batteries go into the keyboard itself or another device?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron P" wrote in
:

"ransley" wrote in message
.
..
[...]

you have to find where the IR port is.
Should be a dark plastic window somewhere,most likely on the back edge of
the KB.

You can check your camera's IR response with a TV remote.
If you can't see the TV remote's LED with your camera,then the
camera has a filter that blocks IR,and will not work for the keyboard test.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

Maybe you should switch to those pre-charged NiMH rechargeables.
They hold their charge much better than ordinary NiMH cells.
Then you can recharge them every so often and not buy so many alkaline
cells.

Rechargeable batteries are not a good choice for his keyboard
because it uses three cells. If he leaves the rechargeable cells in
the keyboard until it no longer works, one of the three cells will
be reversed and ruined most of the time.

Some devices are designed to use rechargeable cells. They shut off
when the voltage drops to around 1.0 to 1.1 volts per cell. Devices
that use just one or two cells can not reverse cells.
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 06 May 2010 11:35:07 -0600, Tony wrote:
Ron P wrote:
[...]

Keep in mind KB is two way device. I mean it is I/O device.
Mostly input to the system but output from system to KB as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron P wrote:
[...]

Not necessarily a brand related issue, regardless what the microsoft
haters say - and the problem is not NECESSARILY the keyboard. It could
be the interface constantly sending a signal to the keyboard keeping
it turned on. Did you try using the interface from the older
keyboard??

As for why use a wireless keyboard? It keeps the desk area uncluttered
and generally is just a lot neater.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 May 2010 10:50:02 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On May 6, 1:36Â*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Ron P wrote:
I have in my home a Microsoft wireless keyboard which uses 3 AA
batteries. It transmits to a nearby receiver which is connected to a
USB port on the computer. Â*When the keyboard was new, the batteries
would last for 7 or 8 months. Â*For some strange reason, I'm now
changing them monthly.
Recently, I was away for a week and the system was completely shut
down. When I returned and booted up, the keyboard was lifeless. Â*I
tested the batteries, and they tested completely and totally drained
on my meter. That's unusual, because they usually test just weak when
I replace them. So, while I was gone and the system was off,
something drained the batteries completely.

At first, I assumed it was the keyboard, so I replaced it with
another one of the same model, an older one that I still had on hand.
Same result, one month. Â*Does this make sense to anyone? Â*Thanks.

Any good reason to use a wireless keyboard? They seem pretty pointless to me for
most desktop usage.- Hide quoted text -

I use logitec's bluetooth wireless keyboard and it has an on/off
switch. You can turn it off when it is not being used. It has a
mouse pad on it as well. Great for use in an easy chair or couch.
Works with my ps3 as well.

Keyboard with a switch IS a better way to go - and the bluetooth
stuff IS coming down in price to the point it is a viable option.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

MOST current cordless keyboards are RF, not IR
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron P wrote:
[...]

If no keys have been pressed after a while, it should be asleep.

Leave it to microsoft to design a keyboard whose sleep timer is
disfunctional. You can set it next to your windows PC whose monitor
fails to shut off 20% of the time. Creating a timer and reliably
counting down to turn off a monitor is beyond microsoft's technical
skills. I wouldn't expect them to be able to do it on a keyboard
either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron P wrote:
[...]

What he means is, I think, that if there is a transmitter that has it's
own wall wart, that plugs into the PC , or if your PC maintains power to
the USB ports even when it is 'shut down' (but is really just in standby
mode), the transmitter end could be continually polling the keyboard and
keeping it active. A lot of PCs, like a lot of TVs, aren't really OFF
unless you yank the plug out of the wall.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron P wrote:
[...]

If there isn't a human pressing keys, the keyboard should be asleep.
Status LEDs are usually on the receiver for a good reason.

A bluetooth keyboard has a thousand times the sophistication of the
typical IR keyboard and they're smart enough to sleep when not in use.
Why not a rock stupid IR keyboard? Truly, time to switch brands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

If no keys have been pressed after a while, it should be asleep.

Leave it to microsoft to design a keyboard whose sleep timer is
disfunctional. You can set it next to your windows PC whose monitor
fails to shut off 20% of the time. Creating a timer and reliably
counting down to turn off a monitor is beyond microsoft's technical
skills. I wouldn't expect them to be able to do it on a keyboard
either.

Or maybe they changed windows so it doesn't let the keyboard sleep right
anymore. You know, one of those "auto-updates" windows is so fond of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 May 2010 07:37:53 -0700, Bob F wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:

If no keys have been pressed after a while, it should be asleep.

Leave it to microsoft to design a keyboard whose sleep timer is
disfunctional. You can set it next to your windows PC whose monitor
fails to shut off 20% of the time. Creating a timer and reliably
counting down to turn off a monitor is beyond microsoft's technical
skills. I wouldn't expect them to be able to do it on a keyboard
either.

Or maybe they changed windows so it doesn't let the keyboard sleep right
anymore. You know, one of those "auto-updates" windows is so fond of.

Unless that windows box is connected to a robot arm that is pressing
keys, that is totally irrelevent. A keyboard that isn't being used
has no business draining a battery. If it is, the design is crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ron P wrote:
[...]

A lot?
Virtually every desktop system built in the last 15 years or more
(since the advent of the ATX standard)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 May 2010 09:43:25 -0400, Tony

On Thu, 6 May 2010 13:31:12 -0700, "Ron P" wrote:

Good idea, My camera and digicam sees IR, that is how ive tested
remotes that were dead.
How is this done? I just now tried pointing my camera at the keyboard and
hitting some keys. I didn't see any change in the display.

You can buy an ir detector for a few dollars at any electronics parts
store. It's basically a business card with a little ir sensitive patch
in the middle that glows red when IR hits it.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-6772-/72-6772

You can probably find it cheaper than this example. Maybe try ebay...

I bought one of those at Radio Shack 10+ years ago. Very handy. I
don't think Radio Shack sells them anymore, it was too good a product so
they stopped carrying it.

It didn't use batteries, so why sell it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

If no keys have been pressed after a while, it should be asleep.

Leave it to microsoft to design a keyboard whose sleep timer is
disfunctional. You can set it next to your windows PC whose monitor
fails to shut off 20% of the time. Creating a timer and reliably
counting down to turn off a monitor is beyond microsoft's technical
skills. I wouldn't expect them to be able to do it on a keyboard
either.

Or maybe they changed windows so it doesn't let the keyboard sleep right
anymore. You know, one of those "auto-updates" windows is so fond of.

Unless that windows box is connected to a robot arm that is pressing
keys, that is totally irrelevent. A keyboard that isn't being used
has no business draining a battery. If it is, the design is crap.

It used to work, so it's not really a "design" issue - sounds like a
"failure" issue. With the transciever interface REMOVED from the
computer see if the battery still goes dead. If so it is LIKELY a
popped capacitor in the keyboard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 May 2010 16:40:32 -0400, Tony wrote:
wrote:

I've seen plenty of remote controls that had to be replaced because
they would intermittantly start transmitting random signals without
being touched.

On a very old TV, with a remote control (a motor to change the channels,
ca chunk, ca chunk). It started going on and off and changing channels

I've looked inside those remote controls, they would bang a short
piece of metal that worked like a tuning fork to generate the
ultrasonic frequencies. Later in the late 70's, a grandmother had a
tv with a solid state version that drove an ultrasonic transducer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 May 2010 12:19:24 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

Ron P wrote:
[...]

One of mine has both a "soft" power switch, and a "hard" power switch.
I've seen quite a few others like that. It is about 3 or 4 years old.

The "hard" power switch is on the back of the power supply? Out of
reach where nobody uses it, if they even know it's there. I;'ve had
service calls where the customer can't turn the computer on. Because
that "unknown" switch was accidentally bumped off.

When you use the normal switch or tell the computer to shut off, it is
still drawing power.

Not so on MOST laptops, which have a real OFF as well as a standby
position. - but the laptop power supply still draws power if it is
plugged in. NO power to any ports or peripherals though when turned
OFF.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On a very old TV, with a remote control (a motor to change the channels,
ca chunk, ca chunk). It started going on and off and changing channels
by itself. Finally I figured it out (I was about age 10). Something on
the vacuum cleaner was the cause. The wheels on the vacuum cleaner had
a high pitched squeal, and I suppose a higher pitched one we couldn't
hear, and the remote signal was an ?ultra high frequency sound. I oiled
the wheels of the vacuum and it fixed the TV.

We had a B&W TV back in the late 60's like that.
It would change channels every time the Phone rang.