Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery Drain Mystery

On Fri, 07 May 2010 12:19:24 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 07 May 2010 12:10:03 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 06 May 2010 22:54:55 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 06 May 2010 11:35:07 -0600, Tony wrote:
Ron P wrote:
I have in my home a Microsoft wireless keyboard which uses 3 AA
batteries. It transmits to a nearby receiver which is connected to a
USB
port on the computer. When the keyboard was new, the batteries would
last for 7 or 8 months. For some strange reason, I'm now changing them
monthly.

Recently, I was away for a week and the system was completely shut
down.
When I returned and booted up, the keyboard was lifeless. I tested the
batteries, and they tested completely and totally drained on my meter.
That's unusual, because they usually test just weak when I replace
them.
So, while I was gone and the system was off, something drained the
batteries completely.

At first, I assumed it was the keyboard, so I replaced it with another
one of the same model, an older one that I still had on hand. Same
result, one month. Does this make sense to anyone? Thanks.

Hi,
It may not be KB problem.

The KB is the only device connected to the batteries and is solely
responsible for battery drain. Like it or not, it's time to switch
brands.
Hi,
Keep in mind KB is two way device. I mean it is I/O device.
Mostly input to the system but output from system to KB as well.

What he means is, I think, that if there is a transmitter that has it's
own wall wart, that plugs into the PC , or if your PC maintains power to
the USB ports even when it is 'shut down' (but is really just in standby
mode), the transmitter end could be continually polling the keyboard and
keeping it active. A lot of PCs, like a lot of TVs, aren't really OFF
unless you yank the plug out of the wall.

A lot?
Virtually every desktop system built in the last 15 years or more
(since the advent of the ATX standard)

One of mine has both a "soft" power switch, and a "hard" power switch.
I've seen quite a few others like that. It is about 3 or 4 years old.

The "hard" power switch is on the back of the power supply? Out of
reach where nobody uses it, if they even know it's there. I;'ve had
service calls where the customer can't turn the computer on. Because
that "unknown" switch was accidentally bumped off.

When you use the normal switch or tell the computer to shut off, it is
still drawing power.

Not so on MOST laptops, which have a real OFF as well as a standby
position. - but the laptop power supply still draws power if it is
plugged in. NO power to any ports or peripherals though when turned
OFF.