Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Battery Drain Mystery

"Ron P" wrote in message
I have in my home a Microsoft wireless keyboard which uses 3 AA
batteries. It transmits to a nearby receiver which is connected
to a USB port on the computer. When the keyboard was new, the
batteries would last for 7 or 8 months. For some strange
reason, I'm now changing them monthly.

Recently, I was away for a week and the system was completely
shut down. When I returned and booted up, the keyboard was
lifeless. I tested the batteries, and they tested completely
and totally drained on my meter. That's unusual, because they
usually test just weak when I replace them. So, while I was gone
and the system was off, something drained the batteries
completely.

At first, I assumed it was the keyboard, so I replaced it with
another one of the same model, an older one that I still had on
hand. Same result, one month. Does this make sense to anyone?
Thanks.

I'd replace the batteries. Test the battery theory by just
sticking in alkalines and seeing how they last. Just don't try
recharging them. Most rechargeable batteries have a lower output
voltage than alkaline batteries and as they age, it gets even
lower. My guess is that the rechargeables in your keyboard are
getting tired.

--
Nonny
On most days,