Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Battery Drain Mystery

"Ron P" wrote in
:

"ransley" wrote in message
.
..
On May 6, 12:13 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Ron P" wrote
:

I have in my home a Microsoft wireless keyboard which uses 3 AA
batteries. It transmits to a nearby receiver which is connected to
a USB port on the computer. When the keyboard was new, the
batteries would last for 7 or 8 months. For some strange reason,
I'm now changing them monthly.

Recently, I was away for a week and the system was completely shut
down. When I returned and booted up, the keyboard was lifeless. I
tested the batteries, and they tested completely and totally
drained on my meter. That's unusual, because they usually test
just weak when I replace them. So, while I was gone and the system
was off, something drained the batteries completely.

At first, I assumed it was the keyboard, so I replaced it with
another one of the same model, an older one that I still had on
hand. Same result, one month. Does this make sense to anyone?
Thanks.

maybe a stuck key that causes the keyboard to constantly emit the IR
signal? Or something pressing a key.... something laying on the KB?
Or dirt/crud causing leakage that makes the KB emit the IR signal
constantly.
Idea;try using a digital camera to view the IR emitter to see if
it's on when there's no keys depressed. Press a key to see what
happens that way,too.

Maybe you should switch to those pre-charged NiMH rechargeables.
They hold their charge much better than ordinary NiMH cells.
Then you can recharge them every so often and not buy so many
alkaline cells.

as a last resort,you could clean your KB in the auto
dishwasher(alone,not with dishes..) and dry -thoroughly- with a hair
dryer. use a gel detergent,not the abrasive powder detergents.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Good idea, My camera and digicam sees IR, that is how ive tested
remotes that were dead.

How is this done? I just now tried pointing my camera at the keyboard
and hitting some keys. I didn't see any change in the display.

you have to find where the IR port is.
Should be a dark plastic window somewhere,most likely on the back edge of
the KB.

You can check your camera's IR response with a TV remote.
If you can't see the TV remote's LED with your camera,then the
camera has a filter that blocks IR,and will not work for the keyboard test.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik