Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron P[_3_] Ron P[_3_] is offline

Default Battery Drain Mystery

wrote in message
On Thu, 6 May 2010 13:31:12 -0700, "Ron P" wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message
On May 6, 12:13 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Ron P" wrote
:

I have in my home a Microsoft wireless keyboard which uses 3 AA
batteries. It transmits to a nearby receiver which is connected to a
USB port on the computer. When the keyboard was new, the batteries
would last for 7 or 8 months. For some strange reason, I'm now
changing them monthly.

Recently, I was away for a week and the system was completely shut
down. When I returned and booted up, the keyboard was lifeless. I
tested the batteries, and they tested completely and totally drained
on my meter. That's unusual, because they usually test just weak when
I replace them. So, while I was gone and the system was off,
something
drained the batteries completely.

At first, I assumed it was the keyboard, so I replaced it with
another
one of the same model, an older one that I still had on hand. Same
result, one month. Does this make sense to anyone? Thanks.

maybe a stuck key that causes the keyboard to constantly emit the IR
signal? Or something pressing a key.... something laying on the KB?
Or dirt/crud causing leakage that makes the KB emit the IR signal
constantly.
Idea;try using a digital camera to view the IR emitter to see if it's
on
when there's no keys depressed. Press a key to see what happens that
way,too.

Maybe you should switch to those pre-charged NiMH rechargeables.
They hold their charge much better than ordinary NiMH cells.
Then you can recharge them every so often and not buy so many alkaline
cells.

as a last resort,you could clean your KB in the auto
dishwasher(alone,not
with dishes..) and dry -thoroughly- with a hair dryer.
use a gel detergent,not the abrasive powder detergents.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Good idea, My camera and digicam sees IR, that is how ive tested
remotes that were dead.

How is this done? I just now tried pointing my camera at the keyboard and
hitting some keys. I didn't see any change in the display.

Many of them are RF (radio). There is no IR to see. All I can think
of that would affect both your current as well as the older
replacement keyboard are leaky capacitors that cause more current
drain than the design called for. If that's it, it would be age
related rather than usage related. Or, as others said, someone places
something on your keyboard that presses a key continuously. You
probalby would have noticed that. Good luck.

It is old, maybe 7-8 years, and you're right, it is RF. I should have
realized that. I should probably get a new one, but I've yet to see one
with a special key assortment/selection that I like as much. Plus, the
Windows 7 drivers work well.