Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Battery drain

On 02/13/2017 05:56 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 5:49:10 PM UTC-6, philo wrote:
On 02/13/2017 10:30 AM, TimR wrote:
The OP mentioned that he bought a new battery but it has been drained flat multiple times since.

I'm not a battery expert but in previous discussions here, others have asserted that every time you drain a battery you lose 1/2 it's life. After 4 - 5 times, you're done.

I worked in the battery field for 38 years.

A traditional lead acid battery is alloyed with antimony to give the
plates strength and can handle many deep discharges. The industry has
now moved to a lead-calcium alloy to greatly reduce water consumption.
(Maintenance free)

The lead calcium batteries do not handle a deep discharge well at all.

Though it probably would not lose half it's life with one deep
discharge, it would probably handle less than 5% of the deep discharges
of a lead-antimony battery.

How do AGM batteries hold up? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Lead Monster

Very well, they are designed for deep discharge..

Typically the 6v golf-cart type battery will give you the most
ampere-hours for the dollar.