Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Battery drain

On 02/12/2017 09:56 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 10:27:48 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 02/11/2017 09:44 PM, Jessie wrote:
Hey I got a new radio for Christmas after 3 days of installing my car
died...we jumped it off and ran just fine that day...over night it
died...got
a new battery replaced n fix the wiring on the radio...car ran fine until a
few days ago...same problem it dies within a 8 hours period...the
alternater
has been recently replaced n when I unhook the cable it runs...now it's
at the
mechanics and they even unhook the radio n the car still dies over
night...it's an Infiniti qx4 2001...I've had the car for 3yrs n the problem
started with aftermarket radio...any ideas

First off, you need to find a mechanic that knows how to actually check
your electrical system rather than just blindly throw parts at it. You
probably did not need an alternator or battery. That said, if your
battery was over five years old, replacing it was probably not a bad
precaution.

With the engine running, check the battery voltage , it should be
approx. 13.8 volts plus or minus .2 volts is normal

If that is OK then obviously something is draining the battery
overnight. Since you would probably notice a light on, it might be the
trunk light...I'd check the trunk light switch first then go from there.

Since it started with the install of the new, apparently aftermarket
radio, I'd suspect it's possible something is wired up wrong there.
These cars have all kinds of computers and screwing up something
with the radio could result in something else staying on. I'd
start with just disconnecting the new radio as an obvious test.

You are probably right