Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, Russian House Wiring

Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ヽ()ノ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

[8~{} Uncle Crimped Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 09:29:21 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ?(?)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

[8~{} Uncle Crimped Monster

Seems odd, does it get a receptacle or a blank cover plate?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ?(?)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

[8~{} Uncle Crimped Monster

Seems odd, does it get a receptacle or a blank cover plate?

I imagine it gets a cover plate but there are a number of Russian wiring technique YouTube videos. I used Google Translate to sort of kind of figure out WTF the electrician was doing. In the other videos I'm sure they're yacking up a Russian storm but I don't know what they're saying. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Yacking Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ?(?)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

[8~{} Uncle Crimped Monster

Seems odd, does it get a receptacle or a blank cover plate?

выглядит слишком поздно для добавления емкости

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ?(?)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

[8~{} Uncle Crimped Monster

Seems odd, does it get a receptacle or a blank cover plate?

I imagine it gets a cover plate but there are a number of Russian wiring technique YouTube videos. I used Google Translate to sort of kind of figure out WTF the electrician was doing. In the other videos I'm sure they're yacking up a Russian storm but I don't know what they're saying. \_(?)_/

[8~{} Uncle Yacking Monster

I was thinking a blank cover plate. Maybe they don't trust the
correct sized wire nuts. They use a lot of tools, eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/03/2016 12:29 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ヽ()ノ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

[8~{} Uncle Crimped Monster

Looks good to me. And the insulation on the conductors is the right
color too -- the same as Australia. Is that an international standard?
-- which the USA does not follow.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ?(?)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

[8~{} Uncle Crimped Monster

Seems odd, does it get a receptacle or a blank cover plate?

выглядит слишком поздно для добавления емкости

now the power runs backwards

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 1:46:33 PM UTC-6, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 12/03/2016 12:29 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ヽ()ノ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

[8~{} Uncle Crimped Monster

Looks good to me. And the insulation on the conductors is the right
color too -- the same as Australia. Is that an international standard?
-- which the USA does not follow.

Perce

I wonder if the Russians use 230vac 50Hz for a table lamp? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Hertzian Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was thinking a blank cover plate. Maybe they don't trust the
correct sized wire nuts. They use a lot of tools, eh?

The guy who taught me electrical wiring in trade school back in the mid
1970's would never approve of those connectors. All the wires had to be
twisted together firmly and topped off with wire nuts tight enough to
withstand a light fixture falling off the wall without the wires coming
apart. He used to go around and check our work by clamping his lineman's
pliers onto each wire nut and pulling hard as he could with full body
weight.

The connections looked strong enough to me in the video however
I don't know what NEC allows today.

Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ?(???)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

[8~{} Uncle Crimped Monster

Interesting. They like to crimp. Bet those crimpers get tiring at the end of
the day. They need a Milwaukee power crimper. Look at the rest of the vids.
I would really like an English translation... Nothing I see there is
designed to save time so I guess how that's the economy is...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was thinking a blank cover plate. Maybe they don't trust the
correct sized wire nuts. They use a lot of tools, eh?

The guy who taught me electrical wiring in trade school back in the mid
1970's would never approve of those connectors. All the wires had to be
twisted together firmly and topped off with wire nuts tight enough to
withstand a light fixture falling off the wall without the wires coming
apart. He used to go around and check our work by clamping his lineman's
pliers onto each wire nut and pulling hard as he could with full body
weight.

The connections looked strong enough to me in the video however
I don't know what NEC allows today.

Steve

Using wire nuts, I understand not to twist the wires. Or at least
that is my basic/limited understanding. Applying the wire nut serves
that purpose and gives a better bite on the wire. Use the correct
sized wire nut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Using wire nuts, I understand not to twist the wires. Or at least
that is my basic/limited understanding. Applying the wire nut serves
that purpose and gives a better bite on the wire. Use the correct
sized wire nut.

We were taught to twist the wires together first, then top it off with
the wire nut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was thinking a blank cover plate. Maybe they don't trust the
correct sized wire nuts. They use a lot of tools, eh?

The guy who taught me electrical wiring in trade school back in the mid
1970's would never approve of those connectors. All the wires had to be
twisted together firmly and topped off with wire nuts tight enough to
withstand a light fixture falling off the wall without the wires coming
apart. He used to go around and check our work by clamping his lineman's
pliers onto each wire nut and pulling hard as he could with full body
weight.

The connections looked strong enough to me in the video however
I don't know what NEC allows today.

Steve

That's the CORRECT way to use wirenuts!
The only time I dont twist the wires is when I am just putting something
together temporarily, like to test something, or overnight, before a job
is completed. And I'll only do that for small loads, like a lightbulb,
never for something that draws large amperage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Using wire nuts, I understand not to twist the wires. Or at least
that is my basic/limited understanding. Applying the wire nut serves
that purpose and gives a better bite on the wire. Use the correct
sized wire nut.

We were taught to twist the wires together first, then top it off with
the wire nut.

Same with me. This says to twist the "ends". I suppose it doesn't
mean the entire exposed wire. The idea is to get a good and secure
bonding of the wires.

"...Twist the exposed wire ends 1 1/2 turns clockwise. Place the Wire
Nut on the end of the twisted, exposed wires and turn clockwise to
secure it. It should hold the wires together firmly and completely
cover any exposed wiring."

http://www.ehow.com/how_7616956_use-wire-nuts.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 12:29:24 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ヽ()ノ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

[8~{} Uncle Crimped Monster

If they get paid by the hour, I want that job! (It's a good thing youtube
has a 2X speed option.)

Although some of that cash will probably go towards an operation or two
after years of pumping that crimper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Dec 2016 14:04:37 -0800, Oren wrote:

Using wire nuts, I understand not to twist the wires. Or at least
that is my basic/limited understanding. Applying the wire nut serves
that purpose and gives a better bite on the wire. Use the correct
sized wire nut.

The code is silent on that. It only says to follow the manufacturer's
instructions and most manufacturers say you can do it either way.
Old electricians tend to twist, new guys just stab and screw on the
nut. As long as you are sure to maintain all of the ends together, it
really does not make that much difference.

The Blue neutral, Brown hot and Green/yellow ground is a standard used
in a lot of european countries. You will see it in PC power cords if
you cut the plug off and strip the wires, even those with "American"
5-15 plugs on them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ?(?)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

[8~{} Uncle Crimped Monster

That is some heavy duty stuff that could be replaced by a pair of
strippers and some gray wire nuts.

I would hate to have to lug that stuff around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
lid says...

wrote:

Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ?(???)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

[8~{} Uncle Crimped Monster

That is some heavy duty stuff that could be replaced by a pair of
strippers and some gray wire nuts.

I would hate to have to lug that stuff around.

Most of what I saw was solid wire. Wire nuts work fine with that. To
get a good crimp on solid wire it takes a lot of pressure.

In the late 1960's I worked at a place that built mobile homes. They
twisted the solid wires and used a crimp connector. That connector was
just big enough for the wires and about 1/4 of an inch long. Over that
was what they called a wrap cap. Not sure if that was just what they
called it or if a trade name. It was made of rubber like a top hat that
had a tail with a larger circle of rubber at the other end. They put
the top hat over the crimp and brought the tail between the wires and
the circle over the hat to hold it in place.
The crimps were done with simple hand tools like the Stakeon connectors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/03/2016 09:06 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In the late 1960's I worked at a place that built mobile homes. They
twisted the solid wires and used a crimp connector. That connector was
just big enough for the wires and about 1/4 of an inch long. Over that
was what they called a wrap cap. Not sure if that was just what they
called it or if a trade name. It was made of rubber like a top hat that
had a tail with a larger circle of rubber at the other end. They put
the top hat over the crimp and brought the tail between the wires and
the circle over the hat to hold it in place.
The crimps were done with simple hand tools like the Stakeon connectors.

http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/668...FQoxaQodPGINUA

That's what Ideal calls them. I don't know if anyone else makes a
similar product. For high voltage industrial motor and transformer
connections we used ring tongue connectors with a 8-32 screw and nut
holding the connectors together. The connectors were then wrapped with
self-fusing electrical tape for abrasion resistance. That in turn was
covered with 3M vinyl electrical tape. It wasn't fast but it was a
dependable connection if you did it right. The crimping was done with
ratcheting crimpers. That gave a uniform crimp rather than the simpler
plier types where Godzilla could overcrimp and Willie the Wuss could
barely dent the barrel of the connector.

I still wrap wirenuts with vinyl tape for some junctions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/668...FQoxaQodPGINUA

That's what Ideal calls them. I don't know if anyone else makes a
similar product. For high voltage industrial motor and transformer
connections we used ring tongue connectors with a 8-32 screw and nut
holding the connectors together. The connectors were then wrapped with
self-fusing electrical tape for abrasion resistance. That in turn was
covered with 3M vinyl electrical tape. It wasn't fast but it was a
dependable connection if you did it right. The crimping was done with
ratcheting crimpers. That gave a uniform crimp rather than the simpler
plier types where Godzilla could overcrimp and Willie the Wuss could
barely dent the barrel of the connector.

I still wrap wirenuts with vinyl tape for some junctions.

That is what was used in the mobile homes that I ws thinking about. I
was just working there during the summer for several years while in
school. I did not do any electrical work there, but saw it done.

I worked in industry for many years and used all kinds of connectors.
Thousands of wire nuts. Everything from about # 24 wire to much large
wire. For some of the larger motors we used the split bolts and wrapped
it with the yellow non stick insulation tape and then lots of the vynal
tape. Later we did the same,but used lots less tape and a rubber boot
similar to a giant wrap cap was used. It had some ty-wraps near the
open end to keep it from comming off.
Much easier to put on and take off than a roll of tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 23:06:30 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

The waqy the Ruskies do it is the way we'de be doing it if the unions
had their way ----
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2016 08:22 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I worked in industry for many years and used all kinds of connectors.
Thousands of wire nuts. Everything from about # 24 wire to much large
wire. For some of the larger motors we used the split bolts and wrapped
it with the yellow non stick insulation tape and then lots of the vynal
tape. Later we did the same,but used lots less tape and a rubber boot
similar to a giant wrap cap was used. It had some ty-wraps near the
open end to keep it from comming off.
Much easier to put on and take off than a roll of tape.

That's for sure. We're revamping our intranet and the contractor is
pulling a lot of PoE cable in wire trays. I was watching him and he had
a roll of what I assumed was tape. It was actually a roll of Velcro.
I've got a bunch of the precut strips I use at home but never thought
about just getting a roll. As he pulled in another bundle, he just had
to undo the velcro and rewrap. I used to leave a trail of Ty-Raps when I
added wires to a harness.

Even worse, we had a contract to build the sequential landing light
controllers used at airports. That came under the purview of the FAA,
which was still living in the 1930's and wasn't ready for those
new-fangled nylon thingies so we had to use lacing cord:

http://www.dairiki.org/hammond/cable-lacing-howto/

It goes pretty fast once you get the hang of it although a background in
macrame helps. Fortunately most of our techs were women and picked it
right up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 23:06:30 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ?(???)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

The waqy the Ruskies do it is the way we'de be doing it if the unions
had their way ----

If the unions had their way, it would take several people. After the
wires are in, one to strip the wires, one to twist them, one to place
the connector, one to work the crimping tool, one to do the insulation.

Even with all of them, I probably left out a couple of men.

Unions are not all bad, but there needs to be a ballance between them
and the management.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2016 03:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ?(???)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

The waqy the Ruskies do it is the way we'de be doing it if the unions
had their way ----

If the unions had their way, it would take several people. After the
wires are in, one to strip the wires, one to twist them, one to place
the connector, one to work the crimping tool, one to do the insulation.

Even with all of them, I probably left out a couple of men.

Unions are not all bad, but there needs to be a ballance between them
and the management.

A few decades ago in the UK I read a letter in the newspaper from
someone who had bought a new gas range from the gas company:

Two men delivered the new range and went away.

Two men came and disconnected the old range and went away.

Two men came and took out the old range and went away with it.

Two men came and connected the new range and went away without turning
the gas on.

Two men came and inspected the installation and turned the gas on.

I have no idea whether or not that was due to union rules.

I think there's a Monty Python skit based on just such a scenario.

I do recall that there was a lengthy dispute in the shipyards over the
drilling/cutting of holes for the rivets. Nobody disputed that cutting
the plates was the responsibility of the Boilermakers and that riveting
the plates together was the responsibility of the Riveters, but each
union claimed that cutting/drilling the holes for the rivets was the
responsibility of its own members. I do not recall how the dispute was
resolved.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2016 01:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
If the unions had their way, it would take several people. After the
wires are in, one to strip the wires, one to twist them, one to place
the connector, one to work the crimping tool, one to do the insulation.

Even with all of them, I probably left out a couple of men.

Unions are not all bad, but there needs to be a ballance between them
and the management.

I once set up a molding system in Western Electric Omaha, or I should
say tried to. I couldn't physically touch anything only give direction.
Any wire connection needed an electrician but invariably something would
have to be moved to give him access and that required a millwright. Then
if the wiring involved a solenoid controlled air valve, that needed a
plumber.

After I would round up an electrician I would have to go find the other
necessary trades, most of which were hiding in the huge mens rooms. Of
course by the time I got back with the plumber the electrician would
have fled the scene.

I found the secret was to go in on the second shift. There were no shop
stewards around and nobody gave a damn what you did as long as you
didn't bother them.

In those golden days Ma Bell was a monopoly and WE was their subsidiary
so actually achieving any efficiency wasn't a priority. I will have to
say WE made good gear mostly because AT&T wasn't interested in doing a
lot of repair work.

I have no idea what those highly paid trades did after the bubble burst.
Got jobs shoveling **** down at the stockyards?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

I once set up a molding system in Western Electric Omaha, or I should
say tried to. I couldn't physically touch anything only give direction.
Any wire connection needed an electrician but invariably something would
have to be moved to give him access and that required a millwright. Then
if the wiring involved a solenoid controlled air valve, that needed a
plumber.

After I would round up an electrician I would have to go find the other
necessary trades, most of which were hiding in the huge mens rooms. Of
course by the time I got back with the plumber the electrician would
have fled the scene.

I found the secret was to go in on the second shift. There were no shop
stewards around and nobody gave a damn what you did as long as you
didn't bother them.

Sounds sort of like the company I worked for. If a motor , no matter
how small or large, the mechanics would install it and the electricians
would unhook and reattach the wires after the motor was changed. There
was no union at the plant, just the plant rules. This was not a small
place as there were over 150 mechanics and 50 electricians.

The plant ran 24 hours a day so someone from the mechanics and
electricians had to be there 24/7. When I was covering the nights and
weekends, if a small motor needed to be changed, I would tell the
mechanic to just drop off the new motor and I would remove and replace
the motor when I wired it up. Most of the motors like that only had 4
small bolts and a coupling to deal with. Saved us both lots of time.

The only people that cared was the operators of the equipment and all
they wanted was to get th eequipment back running. They would even help
if they could.