Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default OT, Russian House Wiring

In article ,
lid says...

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 09:29:21 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

Check out how the Russians wire a junction box. ?(???)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbVLb--_uk

[8~{} Uncle Crimped Monster

That is some heavy duty stuff that could be replaced by a pair of
strippers and some gray wire nuts.

I would hate to have to lug that stuff around.

Most of what I saw was solid wire. Wire nuts work fine with that. To
get a good crimp on solid wire it takes a lot of pressure.

In the late 1960's I worked at a place that built mobile homes. They
twisted the solid wires and used a crimp connector. That connector was
just big enough for the wires and about 1/4 of an inch long. Over that
was what they called a wrap cap. Not sure if that was just what they
called it or if a trade name. It was made of rubber like a top hat that
had a tail with a larger circle of rubber at the other end. They put
the top hat over the crimp and brought the tail between the wires and
the circle over the hat to hold it in place.
The crimps were done with simple hand tools like the Stakeon connectors.