Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default OT, Russian House Wiring

In article ,
says...

http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/668...FQoxaQodPGINUA

That's what Ideal calls them. I don't know if anyone else makes a
similar product. For high voltage industrial motor and transformer
connections we used ring tongue connectors with a 8-32 screw and nut
holding the connectors together. The connectors were then wrapped with
self-fusing electrical tape for abrasion resistance. That in turn was
covered with 3M vinyl electrical tape. It wasn't fast but it was a
dependable connection if you did it right. The crimping was done with
ratcheting crimpers. That gave a uniform crimp rather than the simpler
plier types where Godzilla could overcrimp and Willie the Wuss could
barely dent the barrel of the connector.

I still wrap wirenuts with vinyl tape for some junctions.

That is what was used in the mobile homes that I ws thinking about. I
was just working there during the summer for several years while in
school. I did not do any electrical work there, but saw it done.

I worked in industry for many years and used all kinds of connectors.
Thousands of wire nuts. Everything from about # 24 wire to much large
wire. For some of the larger motors we used the split bolts and wrapped
it with the yellow non stick insulation tape and then lots of the vynal
tape. Later we did the same,but used lots less tape and a rubber boot
similar to a giant wrap cap was used. It had some ty-wraps near the
open end to keep it from comming off.
Much easier to put on and take off than a roll of tape.