Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default OT, Russian House Wiring

On 12/04/2016 01:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
If the unions had their way, it would take several people. After the
wires are in, one to strip the wires, one to twist them, one to place
the connector, one to work the crimping tool, one to do the insulation.

Even with all of them, I probably left out a couple of men.

Unions are not all bad, but there needs to be a ballance between them
and the management.

I once set up a molding system in Western Electric Omaha, or I should
say tried to. I couldn't physically touch anything only give direction.
Any wire connection needed an electrician but invariably something would
have to be moved to give him access and that required a millwright. Then
if the wiring involved a solenoid controlled air valve, that needed a
plumber.

After I would round up an electrician I would have to go find the other
necessary trades, most of which were hiding in the huge mens rooms. Of
course by the time I got back with the plumber the electrician would
have fled the scene.

I found the secret was to go in on the second shift. There were no shop
stewards around and nobody gave a damn what you did as long as you
didn't bother them.

In those golden days Ma Bell was a monopoly and WE was their subsidiary
so actually achieving any efficiency wasn't a priority. I will have to
say WE made good gear mostly because AT&T wasn't interested in doing a
lot of repair work.

I have no idea what those highly paid trades did after the bubble burst.
Got jobs shoveling **** down at the stockyards?