Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default OT, Russian House Wiring

On 12/03/2016 09:06 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In the late 1960's I worked at a place that built mobile homes. They
twisted the solid wires and used a crimp connector. That connector was
just big enough for the wires and about 1/4 of an inch long. Over that
was what they called a wrap cap. Not sure if that was just what they
called it or if a trade name. It was made of rubber like a top hat that
had a tail with a larger circle of rubber at the other end. They put
the top hat over the crimp and brought the tail between the wires and
the circle over the hat to hold it in place.
The crimps were done with simple hand tools like the Stakeon connectors.

http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/668...FQoxaQodPGINUA

That's what Ideal calls them. I don't know if anyone else makes a
similar product. For high voltage industrial motor and transformer
connections we used ring tongue connectors with a 8-32 screw and nut
holding the connectors together. The connectors were then wrapped with
self-fusing electrical tape for abrasion resistance. That in turn was
covered with 3M vinyl electrical tape. It wasn't fast but it was a
dependable connection if you did it right. The crimping was done with
ratcheting crimpers. That gave a uniform crimp rather than the simpler
plier types where Godzilla could overcrimp and Willie the Wuss could
barely dent the barrel of the connector.

I still wrap wirenuts with vinyl tape for some junctions.