Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default OT, Russian House Wiring

On 12/04/2016 08:22 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I worked in industry for many years and used all kinds of connectors.
Thousands of wire nuts. Everything from about # 24 wire to much large
wire. For some of the larger motors we used the split bolts and wrapped
it with the yellow non stick insulation tape and then lots of the vynal
tape. Later we did the same,but used lots less tape and a rubber boot
similar to a giant wrap cap was used. It had some ty-wraps near the
open end to keep it from comming off.
Much easier to put on and take off than a roll of tape.

That's for sure. We're revamping our intranet and the contractor is
pulling a lot of PoE cable in wire trays. I was watching him and he had
a roll of what I assumed was tape. It was actually a roll of Velcro.
I've got a bunch of the precut strips I use at home but never thought
about just getting a roll. As he pulled in another bundle, he just had
to undo the velcro and rewrap. I used to leave a trail of Ty-Raps when I
added wires to a harness.

Even worse, we had a contract to build the sequential landing light
controllers used at airports. That came under the purview of the FAA,
which was still living in the 1930's and wasn't ready for those
new-fangled nylon thingies so we had to use lacing cord:

http://www.dairiki.org/hammond/cable-lacing-howto/

It goes pretty fast once you get the hang of it although a background in
macrame helps. Fortunately most of our techs were women and picked it
right up.