Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Traffic Speed Detecting Signs

On 08/13/2016 01:00 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 20:30:56 +0100, T wrote:

On 08/13/2016 12:10 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 19:55:54 +0100, Tekkie® wrote:

James Wilkinson posted for all of us...

The cop appeared alongside me and made very rude gestures.

A good copper. He didn't know you but his ahole detector was maxed
out on
you.

Everyone who isn't a cop is an arsehole to a cop.

I grew up around cops. One of my childhood friends became
a cop.

There really is an "us and them" mentality. For
starters, they believed that it was next to impossible
to outsiders to understand what they went/go through. They
also told me that no one wants them around, UNLESS you
want them to do something to someone else. I thought
it was a bit insular thinking, but I am not in their
shoes ...

No sane person would ever be a cop, because most of today's laws are wrong.

Having grew up around them, I have to tell you that it
is a bit of a calling. The good ones are actually fighting
for something larger then themselves. And they should be
honored for that. It is a good sign that folks like
that still exist in this world.

The bad ones on the other hand (they are the minority) are
psychopaths looking for a safe venue to practice their trade.

I was told as a kids by the cops around me that you will never
know who the bad ones are if you are polite to them. Back
talk them and your will quickly find out which ones are which.
I have never once back talked a cop in my entire life.

The good ones I grew up around told me they hated the
bad ones because they were under a lot of pressure to back
the bad ones up when they caused trouble (fights, chases, etc.)

You can tell a bad traffic cop if they light up from a far
distance. This is to try to trigger a chase. The proper method
is to get right behind you and then light up. That way
running from them does not seem like such an option.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/13/2016 01:59 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 21:51:00 +0100, T wrote:

On 08/13/2016 01:02 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
Nope, I can drive perfectly well after quite a few pints.

Then you wouldn't trigger their suspicion.

And I don't believe you by the way. Booze impairs your
judgment.

It calms you and lets you think more clearly.

You are deceiving yourself. Next time you go to the
pub, try not drinking. Then look at how the drunks
around you are acting. That is you drunk. You
are not thinking more clearly. Your judgment
is impaired.

You should not put other's lives at risk when
your judgment is impaired.

Don't tell me what to do.

When you are putting other lives in danger, they have they
right to say something to you about it

The rights of your fist end where the rights of my nose begin.

Those that do trigger their suspicion need to be taken off
the road. Drunk driving is arguably the main cause behind
the carnage on our roads.

No, **** driving is. Most accidents have no alcohol involved.

https://report.nih.gov/nihfactsheets...t.aspx?csid=24

In the mid 1970s, alcohol was a factor in over 60% of
traffic fatalities. Traffic crashes were the leading
cause of alcohol-related deaths and two-thirds of
traffic deaths among persons aged 16 to 20 involved alcohol.

Since the early 1980s, alcohol-related traffic deaths
per population have been cut in half with the greatest
proportional declines among persons 16-20 years old.

Reductions in driving after drinking saved more than
150,000 lives between 1982 and 2001 €” more than the
combined total saved by increases in seat belt use,
airbags, and motorcycle and bicycle helmets. Today
alcohol is involved in 37% of all traffic deaths
among persons aged 16 to 20.

It is a long well documented article.

I can remember the looks on those cops faces as a kid when they
had just comes from an accident caused by a drunk driver
and had to use a shovel (figuratively speaking) to remove
all the body parts of all the victims. These guys
really are our heroes.

Speed traps are all about revenue.

Agreed.

It ****ed my off that SLEAZY POLITICIANS have made these
heroes in to robbers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 22:00:53 +0100, T wrote:

[...]

I'm normally polite to traffic ops, it gets me let off more. But when one said my reg plate could fall off and slice someone's head in two, I couldn't resist making fun of him.

--
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not
Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a difference between blind drunk and talking ****e, and having a few pints.

You should not put other's lives at risk when
your judgment is impaired.

Don't tell me what to do.

When you are putting other lives in danger, they have they
right to say something to you about it

They can moan all they want.

The rights of your fist end where the rights of my nose begin.

No they don't. If I have good reason to smash up your nose, I am free to do so. Self defence would be one reason.

[...]

Must be different in the US. Over here in the UK most crashes are people making mistakes. If most crashes had drunk people, the police would attend every single accident to nick them.

Speed traps are all about revenue.

Agreed.

It ****ed my off that SLEAZY POLITICIANS have made these
heroes in to robbers.

Police have never been heroes.

--
A male gynecologist is like an auto mechanic who never owned a car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/13/2016 02:18 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
You can tell a bad traffic cop if they light up from a far
distance. This is to try to trigger a chase. The proper method
is to get right behind you and then light up. That way
running from them does not seem like such an option.

I'm normally polite to traffic ops, it gets me let off more. But when
one said my reg plate could fall off and slice someone's head in two, I
couldn't resist making fun of him.

It takes all the self discipline I can muster to not
laugh at them when they get out of their car looking all
stern and serious and have to pull their pants up. I
feel your pain!

:-)

Just making conversation. Road signed on poles are made
so if you hit the pole the sign will go over your car
and not into your wind shield (cutting your head off).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/13/2016 02:21 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I can remember the looks on those cops faces as a kid when they
had just comes from an accident caused by a drunk driver
and had to use a shovel (figuratively speaking) to remove
all the body parts of all the victims. These guys
really are our heroes.

Must be different in the US. Over here in the UK most crashes are
people making mistakes. If most crashes had drunk people, the police
would attend every single accident to nick them.

I watch English TV on Netflix. It never ceases to amuse
when you use the term "nick". Always a warm chuckle.

For the longest time, I did not know what the word "grass"
meant.

"The IT Squad" made me puke from laughing several times.
I think they were making fun of us IT folks, but I am not
sure how.

If you read the article, drunk driving was not above
50%, it was just the majority of the causes.

Idiots "texting" is causing a lot of problems around these
parts. Chicks talking on cell phones and driving one
handed too.

Speed traps are all about revenue.

Agreed.

It ****ed my off that SLEAZY POLITICIANS have made these
heroes in to robbers.

Police have never been heroes.

I have seen both. I really admired the guys I grew up around.

Funny story. Years and years ago when I still lived in
the PRC (people's republic of California), I was renting
an apartment next to an under cover cop. One day UPS left
a parcel for him with us. When I went to give it to
him, we got aquatinted. After a bit, I asked him how long
he'd been a cop. He got white faced. He told me he was
under cover and asked me how I knew. I told him I grew
up around cops and the way he asked questions was like
a flashing sign over his head. He was a nice guy, I hope
didn't get hurt or killed.

And, no, I didn't get away with ****e as a kid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 22:25:40 +0100, T wrote:

On 08/13/2016 02:18 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
You can tell a bad traffic cop if they light up from a far
distance. This is to try to trigger a chase. The proper method
is to get right behind you and then light up. That way
running from them does not seem like such an option.

I'm normally polite to traffic ops, it gets me let off more. But when
one said my reg plate could fall off and slice someone's head in two, I
couldn't resist making fun of him.

It takes all the self discipline I can muster to not
laugh at them when they get out of their car looking all
stern and serious and have to pull their pants up. I
feel your pain!

Ours aren't that bad.

:-)

Just making conversation. Road signed on poles are made
so if you hit the pole the sign will go over your car
and not into your wind shield (cutting your head off).

Shame about the trees.

--
Say it with flowers - send her a triffid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 22:36:56 +0100, T wrote:

[...]

"Not above 50%, just the majority". WTF?

Idiots "texting" is causing a lot of problems around these
parts. Chicks talking on cell phones and driving one
handed too.

I can text while driving with a broken finger.

Speed traps are all about revenue.

Agreed.

It ****ed my off that SLEAZY POLITICIANS have made these
heroes in to robbers.

Police have never been heroes.

I have seen both. I really admired the guys I grew up around.

Funny story. Years and years ago when I still lived in
the PRC (people's republic of California), I was renting
an apartment next to an under cover cop. One day UPS left
a parcel for him with us. When I went to give it to
him, we got aquatinted. After a bit, I asked him how long
he'd been a cop. He got white faced. He told me he was
under cover and asked me how I knew. I told him I grew
up around cops and the way he asked questions was like
a flashing sign over his head. He was a nice guy, I hope
didn't get hurt or killed.

And, no, I didn't get away with ****e as a kid.

I did.

--
Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe - Frank Zappa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2016 4:51 PM, T wrote:
On 08/13/2016 01:02 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
Nope, I can drive perfectly well after quite a few pints.

Then you wouldn't trigger their suspicion.

And I don't believe you by the way. Booze impairs your
judgment. You should not put other's lives at risk when
your judgment is impaired.

Those that do trigger their suspicion need to be taken off
the road. Drunk driving is arguably the main cause behind
the carnage on our roads. Speed traps are all about revenue.

The serious side of it is when the drunk kills others and that happens
too often. JW may think he drives well after drinking, but the first
thing that goes is judgement.

Almost 50 years ago I drove home from a bar late at night. I know I was
speeding at one point admiring how well my car handled at that speed. I
was lucky and afterward realized how dumb it was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/13/2016 02:51 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
If you read the article, drunk driving was not above
50%, it was just the majority of the causes.

"Not above 50%, just the majority". WTF?

Leader if the pack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 23:13:54 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/13/2016 4:51 PM, T wrote:
On 08/13/2016 01:02 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
Nope, I can drive perfectly well after quite a few pints.

Then you wouldn't trigger their suspicion.

And I don't believe you by the way. Booze impairs your
judgment. You should not put other's lives at risk when
your judgment is impaired.

Those that do trigger their suspicion need to be taken off
the road. Drunk driving is arguably the main cause behind
the carnage on our roads. Speed traps are all about revenue.

The serious side of it is when the drunk kills others and that happens
too often. JW may think he drives well after drinking, but the first
thing that goes is judgement.

No it isn't. I know perfectly well what my judgement is.

Almost 50 years ago I drove home from a bar late at night. I know I was
speeding at one point admiring how well my car handled at that speed. I
was lucky and afterward realized how dumb it was.

Funny how I every time I'm over the limit, I keep precisely to the limit to avoid being stopped for speeding.

--
Instructions on a Chinese fuzzaway:
Do not use it in shaving off beard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 23:31:28 +0100, T wrote:

On 08/13/2016 02:51 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
If you read the article, drunk driving was not above
50%, it was just the majority of the causes.

"Not above 50%, just the majority". WTF?

Leader if the pack.

Ah, like politics.

--
In 1977, researchers detected a strong radio signal from space that lasted 72 seconds. It hasn't been detected since.
Posted to alt.home.repair

James Wilkinson pretended :
[...]

Most. You're not too bright are you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 4:51:05 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
On 08/13/2016 01:02 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
Nope, I can drive perfectly well after quite a few pints.

Then you wouldn't trigger their suspicion.

And I don't believe you by the way. Booze impairs your
judgment. You should not put other's lives at risk when
your judgment is impaired.

Don't even bother arguing with Mr. McCaw...errr...I mean...Wilkinson.

He'll go away after a little while, just like he did when he was the BirdBrain
and then come back under a different name. Of course, he'll still be the
same a-hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 3:04:37 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

Answers in-line...

I've been stopped for speeding 3 times.

The first time I was doing 70 in 55 in a rented car. I told the officer that I didn't know
how to use the cruise control. He gave me a ticket for a noisy muffler.. (Brand new car,
less than 3000 miles on it).

Equipment violation, the rental co. should have taken care of it.

You couldn't have missed the point by any farther of a distance.

Brand new car, less than 3000 miles on it.

Do you really think it had a noisy muffler?

Do you really think the rental company wouldn't have questioned a
noisy muffler violation on a brand new vehicle that clearly did
not have a noisy muffler?

Do you really think I was going go though the hassle of trying to
get them to cover it instead of just mailing the check to the
municipality?

Good grief.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 00:01:43 +0100, FromTheRafters wrote:

James Wilkinson pretended :
[...]

"A majority is the greater part, or more than half, of the total."
As in 50%.

--
There are two sides to every divorce:
Yours and the stupid idiot's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/13/2016 02:51 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

I can text while driving with a broken finger.

Driving while intoxicated and texting. Hmmmm. You realize
you are a public menace?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/13/2016 06:13 PM, T wrote:
On 08/13/2016 02:51 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

I can text while driving with a broken finger.

Driving while intoxicated and texting. Hmmmm. You realize
you are a public menace?

Ooops. Driving while "****ed". ("****ed is English slang
for being drunk on your ass.) Sorry. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 05:56:40 +0100, T wrote:

On 08/13/2016 06:13 PM, T wrote:
On 08/13/2016 02:51 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

I can text while driving with a broken finger.

Driving while intoxicated and texting. Hmmmm. You realize
you are a public menace?

Ooops. Driving while "****ed". ("****ed is English slang
for being drunk on your ass.) Sorry. :-)

You can be drunk on your feet too.

--
In 1961, 87-year-old Harry Meadows, a resident at the Haslemere home for the elderly in Great Yarmouth, England, achieved late-in-life notoriety when he accidentally killed another 3 residents of his care home by dressing up as the grim reaper and peering through the residents' lounge window whilst holding a scythe.

The year before Harry's performance, another resident of the same home, the then 81-year-old Gladys Elton, for reasons best known to herself, had conceived the idea of performing a striptease for her fellow residents of the home; unfortunately such was the effect of Elton's performance that it caused the death of one resident by way of a cardiac arrest and the treatment for shock of five other residents.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 02:13:34 +0100, T wrote:

On 08/13/2016 02:51 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

I can text while driving with a broken finger.

Driving while intoxicated and texting. Hmmmm. You realize
you are a public menace?

Nope, the only accidents I've ever had have been other people's fault, or my mistake when sober, or my car not handling as well as I thought it would.

--
In 1961, 87-year-old Harry Meadows, a resident at the Haslemere home for the elderly in Great Yarmouth, England, achieved late-in-life notoriety when he accidentally killed another 3 residents of his care home by dressing up as the grim reaper and peering through the residents' lounge window whilst holding a scythe.

The year before Harry's performance, another resident of the same home, the then 81-year-old Gladys Elton, for reasons best known to herself, had conceived the idea of performing a striptease for her fellow residents of the home; unfortunately such was the effect of Elton's performance that it caused the death of one resident by way of a cardiac arrest and the treatment for shock of five other residents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You were doing something so you were stopped. You were cut a break with the
muffler.

--
Tekkie