Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Traffic Speed Detecting Signs

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 16:08:30 -0400, wrote:

If a cop dont know, who does? I'm wondering if they go back to zero, or
just keep showing 99?????

...or they show 3 digits.

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/cal...360093813-stop
-creating-strava-segments-non-sanctioned-trails-radartrailer176mph.gif
Most metric units have 3 digit readout. Imperial units for urban use
generally have only 2 digits - 100mph in urban areas is not "expected"
but 100kph is far from unheard of.

I always have a tough time with most metric stuff, but if I'm right,
100kph is roughly 62mph (62.137mph).

(Yea, I cheated, I used an old program called convert.exe which was made
for Windows3.x, or was it Win95. One of the most useful pieces of
software ever made. It converts darn near everything).

I'm glad they never changed the traffic signs in the US to metric. I'd
probably always be so confused that I'd have to have a computer on the
seat next to me at all times that I am driving.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 13:44:53 -0700, T wrote:

If a cop dont know, who does? I'm wondering if they go back to zero,
or just keep showing 99?????

Obviously your town doesn't have a Idiot Ordinance. If they did, the
cops would have arrested you on the spot.

+10 and bet the cop had a good laugh later telling his fellow cops about the
idiot at the store

Dudes! This is not a stupid question. This is a fun
question. When did you guys lose your sense of curiosity?

My guess is that the display is driven by a BCD (binary coded
decimal) counter and that it just rolls over to 00.

I know this cop and he's a decent guy. I think I caught him off guard
with this question, but he was having a little fun with it, as well as I
was. But it really is a question which has an answer (somewhere). I
assume those signs have user manuals, and there must be a mention of
using them for speeds over 99. Normal drivers wont experience that
speed, but if those same signs were used at a race track, they would not
work, since many race cars exceed 99mph. Since truck and tractor pulls
uses these signs, I would think that race tracks would use a similar
device, but obviously need one that allows for 3 digits. (I assume they
make a 3 digit one for such uses).

I wish I knew the manufacturer of the sign, so i could see if there is a
user manual online.....

Till then, I'll go along with the "roll over to 00" !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 21:34:15 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

The cop appeared alongside me and made very rude gestures.

What do you consider to be "very rude gestures"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

James wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 14:20:58 +0100, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 8/10/2016 8:11 AM, Pat wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 03:09:05 -0400, wrote:

I've always wondered how they work, and
why they dont detect cars going the opposite direction.(I assume they
work on radar). ???

Yes, they work on radar. Cars going the opposite direction DO get
detected, but they show up as going a negative speed. The built-in
software just ignores those signals and displays only positive speeds.

Interesting.

Seems obvious that they must employ a unique radar frequency as
oftentimes my Valentine One (a great radar detector) doesn't utter a
sound even though it's set to report ALL threats.

The silent treatment occurs with a fair number of the portable "Speed
Alert" trailers the police move around to provide a courtesy warning to
motorists as well.

Those detectors are ****, I got too many false positives from other things that use the same frequencies (apparently tractor and taxi radios?!). The best thing to use is a GPS which has all the spots they put cameras (including mobile ones) in its database.
--
What do you call kinky sex with chocolate?
S&M&M

I haven't used a detector for around twenty years. When I did have one I was driving 30 miles to work. One morning I was late and was doing 125 mph. The detector beeped once, I knew the cop was a long way off. I kept speeding. As I got closer it would beep faster. When I got to the state line I slowed down to 55, I could tell the cop was a few miles away. I merged into traffic. When I saw the cop he was coming fast and he was looking down the road past the group of cars I was in, like he expected the speeder to be coming.

Sorry Charlie.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/10/2016 8:11 AM, Pat wrote:
[...]

I spotted a cop recently, flying towards me in an unmarked BMW. But the way he kept speeding up and slowing down, I knew he was speed matching the cars. I was doing about 90 as he approached me, so I dropped a gear and went to 70 quite rapidly without using the brake lights. The cop appeared alongside me and made very rude gestures.

--
A woman storms into her boss's office with this complaint:
"All the other women in the office are suing you for sexual harassment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/10/2016 07:44 AM, ChairMan wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 4:11:00 AM UTC-4,
wrote:
Our town recently got one of those Traffic Speed Detecting Signs,
that tell you how fast you're going. I've always wondered how they
work, and why they dont detect cars going the opposite direction.(I
assume they work on radar). I also noticed that they only have TWO
digits. Therefore, if you exceed 99mph, what does the sign do?

Last night I was in a convenvience store, when one of the local cops
walked in. That was my chance to ask him what happens if someone
exceeds 99mph. His reply was "I'll give you a speeding ticket". I
laughed and said "that's what I thought you'd say". Then I said,
"besides the ticket, what would the sign do?" He said he never tried
it, so he dont know.

If a cop dont know, who does? I'm wondering if they go back to zero,
or just keep showing 99?????

Obviously your town doesn't have a Idiot Ordinance. If they did, the
cops would have arrested you on the spot.

+10 and bet the cop had a good laugh later telling his fellow cops about the
idiot at the store

Dudes! This is not a stupid question. This is a fun
question. When did you guys lose your sense of curiosity?

My guess is that the display is driven by a BCD (binary coded
decimal) counter and that it just rolls over to 00.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/10/2016 8:11 AM, Pat wrote:
[...]

One time when I left Fort Smith, AR, for Oklahoma City, I got caught caught up in some fast moving traffic. We were all speeding. It took an hour and a half to get from Fort Smith to OK city.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2016 01:34 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
A woman storms into her boss's office with this complaint:
"All the other women in the office are suing you for sexual harassment.
"Since you haven't sexually harassed me, I'm suing you for discrimination."

Love it.

Rush Limbaugh's law on sexual harassment: She will either

1) sue you, or

2) hit you, or

3) marry you

And I might add, if she marries you and you STOP harassing her,
you will die a slow, protracted, NOISY death.

Posted to alt.home.repair

He clenched his fist in a way you do when you lose a game. Then I'm pretty sure he made a ****** motion.

--
Exersize: the act of removing excess baggage
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2016 02:15 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I like being with other fast cars, it means the chances of me getting
done are very low (especially if I'm not the one at the front). When I
find other fast cars, I let them think they're faster by letting them
pass, then stay behind them.

It doesn't seem to matter what I do. I still get
a ticket.

I get passed by cars going so fast my card shutters.
I still get the ticket.

My dad, the second worst drive I have ever known, once
drove to another city to take a fired and his wife to a
restaurant. The guy was a highway patrolman. The
guy told my father later that he had counted close
to 200 infractions. My father never got a ticket in
his life.

Maybe I am easier to catch?

:'(

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-08-10, Frank "frank wrote:
One day with gps's and computers recording they could do this to anybody.

Only if you have a car with gps and computers.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If a cop dont know, who does? I'm wondering if they go back to zero, or
just keep showing 99?????

Why not fire an RPG at one and see what it says? (Too bad Mythbusters is
no more.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 22:34:25 +0100, T wrote:

On 08/11/2016 02:15 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
I like being with other fast cars, it means the chances of me getting
done are very low (especially if I'm not the one at the front). When I
find other fast cars, I let them think they're faster by letting them
pass, then stay behind them.

It doesn't seem to matter what I do. I still get
a ticket.

I get passed by cars going so fast my card shutters.
I still get the ticket.

My dad, the second worst drive I have ever known, once
drove to another city to take a fired and his wife to a
restaurant. The guy was a highway patrolman. The
guy told my father later that he had counted close
to 200 infractions. My father never got a ticket in
his life.

Maybe I am easier to catch?

:'(

All you need to do is make looking out for cops more important than not crashing.

--
A woman brought an old picture of her dead husband, wearing a hat, to the photographer. She wanted to know if the photographer could remove the hat from the picture.
He convinced her he could easily do that, and asked her what side of his head her husband parted his hair on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that formulated :
[...]

Two and a 'half' digits would be good enough for displaying speeds up
to 199 MPH. It cuts down on the circuitry needed in the display.

I wish I knew the manufacturer of the sign, so i could see if there is a
user manual online.....

Till then, I'll go along with the "roll over to 00" !!!

I would think of it as a two and a half digit display with the 'half'
being left to the reader. It could well be that a log could be kept
which logged speeds well above 100 MPH rather than a rolling over,
leaving only the display limited to two digits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

James Wilkinson used his keyboard to write :

wrote:
On 8/10/2016 8:11 AM, Pat wrote:
[...]

Motorcycling with some friends one day, they decided to see how fast
they could go. I let them, I knew they would eventually get stopped at
the lights in the next town and I would catch up to them. I got stopped
by a cop who insisted that I was speeding trying to catch up to them.

Sometimes, you just can't win.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 8/10/2016 8:11 AM, Pat wrote:
[...]

I can win...

I've been stopped for speeding 3 times.

The first time I was doing 70 in 55 in a rented car. I told the officer that I didn't know
how to use the cruise control. He gave me a ticket for a noisy muffler. (Brand new car,
less than 3000 miles on it).

The next time I was doing 70 in a 55. The cop told me to keep it under 65 and
gave me a ticket for an obstructed license plate. (I had clear plexiglass over the plate)

The last time I was doing 75 in a 55, after midnight, on a highway that gets very little traffic
even during the day. There wasn't another car in sight, other than the cop, of course. After
briefly looking at my documents, the cop said "I'm sure you know that we give drivers a little
leeway on this road. Try to keep it under 70. Have a nice night and get home safe."
Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that formulated :

I wish I knew the manufacturer of the sign, so i could see if there is a
user manual online.....

www.radarsign.com
www.tapconet.com

K-band single directional radar unit
Latest generation AlInGaP high intensity LEDs
12€ or 18€ Full Matrix (rounded) Characters for quick recognition
Minimum Speed Display, High Speed Blanking & Flashing Digit Violator Alert
Automatic intensity adjustment to ambient light conditions
12 VDC operation, 12 VDC or 100-277 VAC, 50/60 Hz input
Power consumption: 5.76W Nominal, 14.88W Peak
Keyed On/O switch
Single cycle ON/OFF clock
Sign defaults to last settings upon power up
Built in on-screen diagnostics
On-board Options & Diagnostics
Radar sensitivity
LED Operation Diagnostics
LED Intensity Diagnostics
MPH / KPH operation
Battery test
And more...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2016 03:06 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

I think you have something thee. I am watching my driving and not
watching for cops or signs of them, such a a bunch of slow moving car
all bunched up going the other direction.

Both my dad and father-in-law (two worst drivers ever) had a six sense
about cops and could spot them over the horizon. Neither one ever got
a ticket their entire lives.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2016 05:38 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:

Motorcycling with some friends one day, they decided to see how fast
they could go. I let them, I knew they would eventually get stopped at
the lights in the next town and I would catch up to them. I got stopped
by a cop who insisted that I was speeding trying to catch up to them.

Sometimes, you just can't win.

I feel your pain :'(
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2016 03:40 PM, T wrote:

[snip]

My guess is the the display is set by a BCD (binary coded
decimal) counter and that it would just roll over at 100
to 0.

I would expect some kind of overflow indication, perhaps a flashing
display. Maybe "00" which doesn't happen normally.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion,
and religious men without intelligence." -- Abu'l-Ala-Al-Ma'arri
(973-1057; Syrian poet)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2016 07:33 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:

[snip]

Two and a 'half' digits would be good enough for displaying speeds up to
199 MPH. It cuts down on the circuitry needed in the display.

I used to have digital thermometer that had 2.5 digits, which was
enough since the thermometer couldn't handle temperatures above 140 degrees.

I would think of it as a two and a half digit display with the 'half'
being left to the reader. It could well be that a log could be kept
which logged speeds well above 100 MPH rather than a rolling over,
leaving only the display limited to two digits.

100+ could be indicated by the display flashing. Flashing "00" if anyone
managed to drive 200.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion,
and religious men without intelligence." -- Abu'l-Ala-Al-Ma'arri
(973-1057; Syrian poet)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 17:03:15 +0100, T wrote:

[...]

Dunno if it works in the US, but in Scotland you can talk your way out of 2/3rds of tickets.

--
Q. What's a Catholic priest and a pint of Guinness got in common?
A. A black coat, white collar and you've got to watch your arse if you get a dodgy one!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd used his keyboard to write :
On 08/11/2016 07:33 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:

[snip]

Two and a 'half' digits would be good enough for displaying speeds up to
199 MPH. It cuts down on the circuitry needed in the display.

I used to have digital thermometer that had 2.5 digits, which was enough
since the thermometer couldn't handle temperatures above 140 degrees.

I would think of it as a two and a half digit display with the 'half'
being left to the reader. It could well be that a log could be kept
which logged speeds well above 100 MPH rather than a rolling over,
leaving only the display limited to two digits.

100+ could be indicated by the display flashing. Flashing "00" if anyone
managed to drive 200.

True enough. My point was that the counter wouldn't have to roll over
just because of the limits of the display.

You can display Pi on a calculator and only get so many decimal places,
yet you can then subtract 3.14159 from it and retrieve six more decimal
places in many cases. The limits of the display does not necessarily
limit the underlying calculation (or, in this case, the count).

Only by looking at the circuit or code used could I determine if the
thing actually counts modulo 100 (0 through 99 and 'rolling over'
dropping anything over 100) or just not displaying the most significant
digit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 2:56:20 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:
[...]

Here's the code that should be used:

Dim driver_spd as Single
Dim road_spikes as Boolean
'Speed Check
If driver_spd 99 Then road_spikes = True

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/12/2016 11:15 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Here in the US, my experience is they have made up their
minds as soon as they get out of their "vehicle" and pull
up their pants.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 01:08:27 +0100, T wrote:

[...]

The best thing to do here is to give them an alternative. For example they seem to prefer to book you for having a bald tyre than for speeding. Which is good, because speeding is a £100 fine and 3 points on your license (12 in 3 years and you lose your license). But a bald tyre only needs replacing and a certificate sent from the garage to the police within 14 days.

--
Some people's brains are purely for life support purposes only.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2016 6:16 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

The best thing to do here is to give them an alternative. For example they seem to prefer to book you for having a bald tyre than for
speeding. Which is good, because speeding is a £100 fine and 3 points on your license (12 in 3 years and you lose your license). But a bald
tyre only needs replacing and a certificate sent from the garage to the police within 14 days.

Exactly. The best thing to do if caught speeding is unbuckle your seat belt before being pulled over.
Seat belt fines are $100 and no points so car insurance wont go up either.
And seat belt fines can be paid on line so you don't need to go wait in line with a bunch of smelly low-lifes to pay a ticket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 02:09:08 +0100, Tax Payer wrote:

On 8/12/2016 6:16 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

The best thing to do here is to give them an alternative. For example they seem to prefer to book you for having a bald tyre than for
speeding. Which is good, because speeding is a £100 fine and 3 points on your license (12 in 3 years and you lose your license). But a bald
tyre only needs replacing and a certificate sent from the garage to the police within 14 days.

Exactly. The best thing to do if caught speeding is unbuckle your seat belt before being pulled over.
Seat belt fines are $100 and no points so car insurance wont go up either.
And seat belt fines can be paid on line so you don't need to go wait in line with a bunch of smelly low-lifes to pay a ticket.

Our speeding fines are online too. No different to a seatbelt fine, apart from the points.

Both are utterly stupid - speeding MIGHT cause an accident, but the policeman doesn't know this - he doesn't assess your skill. Not wearing a seatbelt can only harm the person not wearing it, therefore it must be only up to that person.

--
"I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top." -- English Professor, Ohio University
Posted to alt.home.repair

James Wilkinson posted for all of us...

The cop appeared alongside me and made very rude gestures.

A good copper. He didn't know you but his ahole detector was maxed out on
you.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

Answers in-line...

I've been stopped for speeding 3 times.

The first time I was doing 70 in 55 in a rented car. I told the officer that I didn't know
how to use the cruise control. He gave me a ticket for a noisy muffler. (Brand new car,
less than 3000 miles on it).

Equipment violation, the rental co. should have taken care of it.

The next time I was doing 70 in a 55. The cop told me to keep it under 65 and
gave me a ticket for an obstructed license plate. (I had clear plexiglass

over the plate)

You got a break...

The last time I was doing 75 in a 55, after midnight, on a highway that gets very little traffic
even during the day. There wasn't another car in sight, other than the cop, of course. After
briefly looking at my documents, the cop said "I'm sure you know that we give drivers a little
leeway on this road. Try to keep it under 70. Have a nice night and get home safe."

Another break, nice department. They are not all revenue generators.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 19:55:54 +0100, Tekkie® wrote:

James Wilkinson posted for all of us...

The cop appeared alongside me and made very rude gestures.

A good copper. He didn't know you but his ahole detector was maxed out on
you.

Everyone who isn't a cop is an arsehole to a cop.

--
I lost the trivia contest at the church social last night by one point.
The last question was: "Where do most women have curly hair?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/13/2016 07:14 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Excess speed in certain instances can be dangerous to public
safety. But not in speed traps, where they are deliberately
under posted.

Public safety is far better served by going after intoxicated
drivers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/13/2016 12:10 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 19:55:54 +0100, Tekkie® wrote:

James Wilkinson posted for all of us...

The cop appeared alongside me and made very rude gestures.

A good copper. He didn't know you but his ahole detector was maxed out on
you.

Everyone who isn't a cop is an arsehole to a cop.

I grew up around cops. One of my childhood friends became
a cop.

There really is an "us and them" mentality. For
starters, they believed that it was next to impossible
to outsiders to understand what they went/go through. They
also told me that no one wants them around, UNLESS you
want them to do something to someone else. I thought
it was a bit insular thinking, but I am not in their
shoes ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 20:30:56 +0100, T wrote:

On 08/13/2016 12:10 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 19:55:54 +0100, Tekkie® wrote:

James Wilkinson posted for all of us...

The cop appeared alongside me and made very rude gestures.

A good copper. He didn't know you but his ahole detector was maxed out on
you.

Everyone who isn't a cop is an arsehole to a cop.

I grew up around cops. One of my childhood friends became
a cop.

There really is an "us and them" mentality. For
starters, they believed that it was next to impossible
to outsiders to understand what they went/go through. They
also told me that no one wants them around, UNLESS you
want them to do something to someone else. I thought
it was a bit insular thinking, but I am not in their
shoes ...

No sane person would ever be a cop, because most of today's laws are wrong.

--
Friends are like condoms: They protect you when things get hard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 20:26:20 +0100, T wrote:

[...]

The equation for safety includes speed, surroundings (other cars, weather, road quality), handling of the car, and ability of the driver. Speed cameras only look at one input.

But not in speed traps, where they are deliberately
under posted.

Public safety is far better served by going after intoxicated
drivers.

Nope, I can drive perfectly well after quite a few pints. The ONLY proof you are a bad driver is a crash. Instead of going after people who the cops believe are dangerous, put points on everyone's license every time an insurance company deems them at fault. That would soon clear up the roads.

--
Friends are like condoms: They protect you when things get hard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/13/2016 01:02 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
Nope, I can drive perfectly well after quite a few pints.

Then you wouldn't trigger their suspicion.

And I don't believe you by the way. Booze impairs your
judgment. You should not put other's lives at risk when
your judgment is impaired.

Those that do trigger their suspicion need to be taken off
the road. Drunk driving is arguably the main cause behind
the carnage on our roads. Speed traps are all about revenue.

Intoxicated driving is an actually public safety issue. But,
it is much more of a hassle for the cops. Drunks pee all
over themselves and puke in the back seat of cops cars.
Lifting a drunk is like lifting a bag of water. Ruins
your back. Much easier to steel your day's wages in
a speed trap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 21:51:00 +0100, T wrote:

On 08/13/2016 01:02 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
Nope, I can drive perfectly well after quite a few pints.

Then you wouldn't trigger their suspicion.

And I don't believe you by the way. Booze impairs your
judgment.

It calms you and lets you think more clearly.

You should not put other's lives at risk when
your judgment is impaired.

Don't tell me what to do.

Those that do trigger their suspicion need to be taken off
the road. Drunk driving is arguably the main cause behind
the carnage on our roads.

No, **** driving is. Most accidents have no alcohol involved.

Speed traps are all about revenue.

Agreed.

--
Due to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.