Posted to alt.home.repair

Default For all of you "second hand smoke" ninnies.

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 11:27:17 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 7/5/2016 2:27 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 00:28:53 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

1. Riding in a car while my parents smoked made me sick to my stomach,
sometimes, severely. I was told it was all in my head and there was no
physical reason I should get sick. Now, we know that "THS reacts with
nitrous oxide (for example from gas appliances or car engines) in the
air creating carcinogens known as nitrosamines. When volatile organic
compounds (VOCs) in THS react with ozone in the air to create
formaldehyde among other chemicals."

Additionally, formaldehyde can make people sick.

2. Secondhand smoke causes molecular changes in cells which lead to
insulin resistance (simplistically, the precursor to diabetes.)"

I was exposed to high levels of secondhand and thirdhand smoke for
approximately 20 years - I'm now type 2 diabetic. The information
indicates there is a connection between secondhand smoke exposure and 2
illnesses I've dealt with, so yes, I believe those explanations are valid.

Have you ever read all of the statistics about the dangers of having a
gun in your house?
That extends to your neighbor's house in some of these studies.
Other safety nazi is coming after you.

Separate issues.

Yeah, second hand bullets are far more dangerous than second hand
smoke but you have your crusade so rock on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2016 12:04 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 11:27:17 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Despite the "cool sounding comment", you can't logically compare the
issues of smoking with guns. They aren't even in the same ballpark.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

FromTheRafters wrote :
trader_4 explained on 7/4/2016 :
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 2:51:26 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:
After serious thinking trader_4 wrote :
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 11:40:02 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

See, this is why you're the village idiot. V = IR. Just because I is
zero, that doesn't make R zero. You really should have taken basic
algebra.

Of course not, current and resistance are *inversely proportional* when
voltage is held invariant. The extremes would be zero and infinity.

Irrelevant. Put zero in for I, you get V = 0. Again, please take a
course
in algebra.

Ohm's law is a formula. As such I should be able to 'plug in' two values
for two of the variables and obtain the third by using one of the other
two equations.

You are now giving me V=0 and I=0 so now I should be able to determine
what the resistance is. The formula (using algebra) can be manipulated to
R=V/I for this purpose and then that equation solved for R. If I is zero,
it doesn't work.

You can't use the formula when it requires dividing by zero. There is
no need to divide by zero to solve for V when I is zero. Capiche?
You just insist on trying to force division by zero, when it's not
required. Go back to the apples example.

Ohm's Law works for 'voltage drop' because 'voltage drop' *requires* that
there be (non-zero) current through a (non-zero) resistance. This is the
original point which started this discussion.

Ohm's law requires no such thing. Ohn's law is a straight line and it
goes right through the origin. Did you plot it yet? I mean this is
incredibly dumb. Simple electricity 101 test question:

You have a 100 ohm resistor. Per Ohm's law, what is the voltage with:

A - 1 amp flowing
B - 20 amps flowing
C - 0 amps flowing

Everyone else that has weighed in on this knows the correct answers are
100 volts, 2000 volts, 0 volts. You're the only dummy who says we
don't know what the voltage is in case C.

You're lucky to have so many imaginary friends, I only had one and that was a
long time ago.

Again, you are trying to force division by zero, when no division by
zero is needed. V = IR, it's all multiplication.

Except by the *formula* for Ohm's law it can be stated that I and R are
inversely proportional for any given V. So, as 'I' goes toward zero 'R'
goes toward infinity. If 'I' *is* zero then 'R' *is* infinity and you are
attempting to multiply zero by infinity to get a non-non-zero 'V'.

Try taking algebra and electricity 101 and get back to us

This is like saying I have groups of apples in threes. If I select X
groups, how many apples do I then have in total.

T = N x 3 5 groups I have 15 apples total

You just pulled an 'N' and a 'T' out of your hat, and what happened to
'X'? Oh, I see, it shrunk and became a little 'x'. Are you trying to come
up with 3.141592 . . .?

Maybe you need an apple puree formula?

That's why you're the village idiot. Everyone else saw what I meant.

How many apples do I have with N=0? Equation gives 0, a valid number.

Of course, but you might have zero groups of 528 apples or zero groups of
498745 apples or zero groups any number of apples to get the same total
number of apples. An equation makes no claims of the relationships between
the values.

Your answer, "You can't do that because you could transform that
equation into:

T/N = 3.

And OMG we're dividing by Zero!

I thought 'N' was five.

Maybe you need a nap?

You need to take HS algebra.

The number of apples per group and the number of groups of apples and the
number of total apples in your example are not claiming to be a formula,
so the relationships between them is not important.

T = N x 3 most certainly is a formula. It gives the total number
of apples. Again, you're really lost here.

If on the other hand you claim that the number of apples per group is
inversely proportional to the number of groups of apples for any given
number of total apples then yes, because it is a formula when the
relationships are considered.

Why are you allowing me to troll you like this, are you some kind of
mathochist?

Good to see you admit you're a troll.

You're very rude to people here, so I thought you would like some
competition. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

I'm only rude to assholes like you that can't do basic algebra
and then lecture the rest of us, who can.

I'll test your theory tomorrow. I don't know exactly how far away work is,
but I do know that if I travel at a rate of a mile a minute I can time myself
and derive the distance using D=RT as an equation.

Better yet, to save gas, I will get in my truck in the driveway and won't
even start it. My rate will be zero and you say that the time doesn't matter
and the distance becomes zero.

When my neighbor gets upset about his cornfield suddenly becoming a parking
lot and his house being demolished by a factory landing on it, I will tell
him that some idiot on USENET convinced me to do it as an experiment.

I'm putting *my* money on the time being infinite when the rate is zero and
my workplace staying right where it is because of D=RT being a formula. It's
a good thing too, because we're not zoned for industry up here.

I'm sure my boss will forgive me for not working tomorrow when I explain that
the alternative was to have his factory dropped on a farmhouse and a
cornfield in a non-industrial zone.

If you are correct, it should make the evening news, so have someone read the
newspaper to you - or just look at the photos that are likely to accompany
the story. Everybody has a camera these days.

Hello I'm nurse Ratchet and I found Mister Fromtherafters sitting in
his truck in the driveway this afternoon and asked him why and he said
he was conducting an experiment and when I asked him how much longer he
would be there he said forever or until a factory crushes the farmhouse
next door. I figured he skipped his meds so I gave him a sedative and
put him in his bed and tightened the restraints. What? Know what? New
what? Oh.
It's like hitting enter to create another line.

Wow! If I do it twice it comes out double spaced.

This is so cool.

The microphone isn't picking up your voice so I will try to relay what
you say.

Tell the traitor.
I now know where.
He gets all those.
Village idiot awards.
Which he tries.
To palm off.
On everyone else.

It doesn't make sense to me but maybe people who read this will know
what it means.

It is amazing. This peach wreck ignition stuff works flawlessly so
there should be no problem communicating with him once the sedative
wears off.

--
Disclaimer - This is not intended to be taken seriously, I am
unrestrained.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2016 12:50 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 12:19:17 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 7/5/2016 12:04 PM,
wrote:

Have you ever read all of the statistics about the dangers of having a
gun in your house?
That extends to your neighbor's house in some of these studies.
Other safety nazi is coming after you.

Separate issues.

Yeah, second hand bullets are far more dangerous than second hand
smoke but you have your crusade so rock on.

Despite the "cool sounding comment", you can't logically compare the
issues of smoking with guns. They aren't even in the same ballpark.

The only significant difference is you seem to support the right to
bear arms but you are neurotic about smoking.

Anyone who gives a flip about our Constitution will support the right to
bear arms.

The smoking issue has nothing to do with politics - it's a health issue.

If you go back up to the top of this thread, what do you think the
amount of residual chemicals are from your cleaning products,
insecticides, air fresheners and laundry products?
How about the chemicals in your food, either from the farm, production
facility or packaging.

Those are also individual issues and each one should be taken into
consideration separately. They shouldn't have any bearing on smoking issues.

I guarantee they are far more prevalent than anything from second, 3d
and 4th hand smoke.

Define "prevalent".

Smoking in public is eventually going to be a non-issue, and therefore
won't be "prevalent" in comparison to other issues.

You are just on a crusade and ignore things around you that are far
more dangerous.

This discussion has been about second hand smoke, smoking, third hand
smoke, and the related health issues. I'm staying "on topic".

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 13:50:26 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 12:19:17 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 7/5/2016 12:04 PM,
wrote:

[...]

I have to agree with Muggles on thid. It's not a "this over that"
situation. Cig smoke makes many of us dick - not even looking at the
"long term". If I walk into a smoky room, I have to get out NOW - or
sooner. If I am downwind from a smoker in a public space i HAVE to
move. Then once I've gotten away from the smoke, if my breathing does
not improve in a minute or two I NEED to have my inhaler on hand - or
I'm in DANGER.
There are other chemicals that can have the same effect - including
some perfumes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 07:29:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

My God think of the children eating those hot dogs

Forget about long term effects. Hot dogs are actually disproportionally
dangererous (as opposed to other foods) as a choking hazard.

Biting down on a hot dog can often cause the bitten-off portion to be
squeezed by the relatively elastic buns. Lubricated all-around by
thixotropic liquids (i.e. mustard & ketchup), it can easily be propelled
directly back to the trachea, because the swallow has not yet been
initiated to redirect food to the esophagus.

Worse, it is of the exact shape and size to completely block the airway.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 20:26:44 -0400, wrote:

Cig smoke makes many of us dick

You're getting tobacco mixed up with marijuana.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 11:27:17 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

ROLFMAO

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2016 10:12 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 9:37:18 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/5/2016 8:26 PM, wrote:
I have to agree with Muggles on thid. It's not a "this over that"
situation. Cig smoke makes many of us dick - not even looking at the
"long term". If I walk into a smoky room, I have to get out NOW - or
sooner. If I am downwind from a smoker in a public space i HAVE to
move. Then once I've gotten away from the smoke, if my breathing does
not improve in a minute or two I NEED to have my inhaler on hand - or
I'm in DANGER.
There are other chemicals that can have the same effect - including
some perfumes.

Sadly, some folks think they have "the right" to
smoke any where, any time. I'm guessing these same
people want to eliminate "Freon (R)" from my air
conditioner, lead from my gasoline, and 32 ounce
soda pop cups from New York City.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

i have always gotten ill from secondhand smoke. my parents were heavy smokers.

its past time that smoking around children should get the smokers charged with child abuse

Smoking puts toxic waste into the air and that toxic waste ends up
becoming thirdhand smoke - another source of serious health issues.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2016 8:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

Many smokers can't understand that I support their right to destroy their body any way they wish but I, like many people, am horribly allergic to tobacco smoke and its byproducts. How would a smoker feel if I spritzed them with pepper spray which would do the same thing to them that their drug habit is doing to me? I avoid places where smokers hang out but there are public spaces where I must go and many times a smoker will show up and get riled when they're asked to please move downwind. I have a severe allergic reaction when exposed to tobacco smoke and can be sick for days. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Wheezing Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 10:33:30 AM UTC-4, bob_villain wrote:
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 9:15:47 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 1:05:57 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

I think I'll pursue LIFE that leads to a high standard of health.
Without that, pursuing liberty and happiness can be fairly difficult to
attain.

Great. The problem is that you're forcing YOUR pursuit on the rest
of us who have different pursuits. It's what libs do. They know what
we should or shouldn't smoke, eat, drive, etc. And at the same time
the limo libs fly around in Gulfstream IVs. At least they don't pretend
to be conservatives.

...let's talk about deflection...like using the "you libs" term for not being able to think for yourself and stick to the talking points.

Take a poll among libs and conservatives as to who won't allow people to
have a cigar dinner in a private room or who won't allow some bars to allow
smoking and get back to us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 12:38:18 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 7/5/2016 9:15 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 1:05:57 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 7/4/2016 11:01 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 6:07:32 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Do you think it is the right of the people to pursue LIFE??

Yes, but you obviously don't. Pursuing life means the ability to be able
to have a cigar dinner in a private room at a private restaurant with out
silly libs like you banning it. I think paragliding and mountain climbing
are risky. Ok, now we need to ban it, because people die from it. See
how that works?

I guess we just see things differently. People risk their own lives
when they para-glide or mountain climb. OTOH, people risk others lives
when they smoke, which is wrong to do.

See how that works?

No, because it's not true. If we were allowed to have a smoking bar,
a smoking restaurant, the only people risking anything are the people
who choose to go there. If you were a conservative, you'd understand
that, but instead, as usual, you spin, lie and deflect. That's what
libs do.

The point is restaurant owners don't want to limit their clientele.

The point is you're an idiot. If restaurant owners don't want to limit
their clientele, then why do we need a law that FORCES them?

It's
fiscally stupid to do so.

No it's not. If I'm the only bar in town that allows smoking, then
I could have more business than most other bars, because smokers will
come to my bar. Even now in the dwindling states where smoking is
still allowed in bars, there are bars that allow smoking, thereby
proving your point stupid.

A smoke free environment doesn't prevent
smokers from dining because the environment makes them sick. OTOH, a
smoking environment prevents non-smokers from dining because the
environment is toxic to them.

Any conservative will tell you the simple, free market solution, is
YOU go to a smoke free restaurant, smokers will go to ones that allow
smoking. But there is no compromise with you lib types, you want to
force everyone to live by your ways. Smoking, soda, salt, guns, fat
will be next.

A non-smoking environment is more profitable AND healthy for all who
might attend.

Typical lib mentality. You don't own the bar, yet you're the one that's
smarter than the owner, to tell them what they have to do.

[...]

How can I twist a direct quote from the Constitution? It lists 3
rights: "that among these are *Life*"!

Why do people always emphasize liberty and the pursuit of happiness?
Without LIFE we can't pursue liberty OR happiness. Should we pursue
LIFE that leads to sickness and disease, or pursue LIFE that leads to a
high standard of health? Gee ... let me think. hmmmm

It's up to each individual to pursue their life according to their wishes.
Having a separate bar or restaurant for smokers doesn't infringe on your
life, your rights. But YOU, with the heavy hand of govt, are infringing
on smokers. You're no conservative.

On the contrary - I'm a advocate for healthy air. Everyone should do
likewise because we all breath air. It's a health issue - not a
political issue. I can be a conservative and still promote breathable
air in public venues. Conservatives tend to look at the entire picture
vs. such a narrow viewpoint as you keep preaching.

I think I'll pursue LIFE that leads to a high standard of health.
Without that, pursuing liberty and happiness can be fairly difficult to
attain.

Great. The problem is that you're forcing YOUR pursuit on the rest
of us who have different pursuits.

Contrary to your ideology, the Constitution actually states that we have
a right to "pursue LIFE", and that's what I'm doing.

OTOH, you're promoting the idea that people are free to spread toxic
waste because you feel it's their right to practice such a freedom.

That mindset is simply nuts. You'd rather people spread toxic waste in
the name of freedom vs. promote healthy air in the name of pursuing LIFE.

That isn't what happens in a bar that allows smoking. Only people who
wish to be there are there. It's idiots like you that can't allow people
with differing values to have their rights too. It's what libs do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 12:44:23 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 7/5/2016 9:20 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 1:11:18 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 7/4/2016 11:21 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 10:45:10 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 7/3/2016 5:44 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 5:49:10 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 7/3/2016 2:13 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 1:51:53 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Serious question, are you an Alzheimer's patient??

Serious question, are you the village idiot? Never mind, we know the answer.
You just posted a link to an abstract about a study that was conducted. You're
so stupid that you think that's "proof". It just says a study was done,
a little about the methodology and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the results. And you want to talk about my mental health and brains? If we didn't already know
you're the village idiot, that would go a long way to proving it.

I posted 4 links. Which one are you talking about? Care to discuss
what the article actually contained, or do you just enjoy being vague?

I already went through it with you. Once again, you're the village idiot.
Time to change your screen name again, to better troll, perhaps?

I like this article. Read the full article describing all the tech stuff
and results. IOW's, you'll ignore it because it proves you wrong.

"Formation of carcinogens indoors by surface-mediated reactions of
nicotine with nitrous acid, leading to potential third hand smoke hazards.

This study shows that residual nicotine from tobacco smoke sorbed
to indoor surfaces reacts with ambient nitrous acid (HONO) to
form carcinogenic tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs). Substan-
tial levels of TSNAs were measured on surfaces inside a smokers
vehicle. Laboratory experiments using cellulose as a model indoor
material yielded a10-fold increase of surface-bound TSNAs when
sorbed secondhand smoke was exposed to 60 ppbv HONO for 3 hours. In both
cases we identified
1-(N-methyl-N-nitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridinyl)-4-butanal, a TSNA absent in
freshly emitted tobaccosmoke, as the major product. The potent
carcinogens 4-(methy-lnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridinyl)-1-butanone and
N-nitroso nornicotine were also detected. Time-course measurements
revealed fast TSNA formation, with up to 0.4% conversion of nicotine..
Given the rapid sorption and persistence of high levels of nicotine on
indoor surfaces€”including clothing and human skin€”this recently
identified process represents an unappreciated health hazard through
dermal exposure, dust inhalation, and ingestion. These findings raise
concerns about exposures to the tobacco smoke residue that has
been recently dubbed €śthirdhand smoke.€ť Our work highlights the
importance of reactions at indoor interfaces, particularly those
involving amines and NO x/HONO cycling, with potential health impacts."

http://www.pnas.org/content/107/15/6576.full.pdf

Note what they did. They used a closed car, the worst environment
possible. And they concluded that smoking there leaves traces.
I could have saved them the money, we all know that. What did they
conclude "with potential health impacts". Almost anything today
has potential health impacts, even drinking the water in most
municipal water systems.

WRONG! They showed this result:

"This study shows that residual nicotine from tobacco smoke sorbed
to indoor surfaces reacts with ambient nitrous acid (HONO) to
form carcinogenic tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs)."

Wrong? What's wrong? I told you flat out I didn't need to even do
a study to know that you'd get tobacco byproducts in a closed car.
Good grief.

It said: "Formation of carcinogens indoors".

IOW, the study isn't simply about byproducts in a closed car. The
results apply to "indoors", not just in a closed car.

Just like the studies that showed saccharin was going to kill us all,
so it was banned. But oooops, turned out they had bad studies, took
results from rats, extrapolated it to humans and it was all junk science.
You really need to stay away from science, you're clueless. All they
showed was that some potentially harmful residue winds up on the interior
of a closed car where smoking has been going on. Didn't need a study to
tell you that. They haven't shown that any of it is in any way harmful
to someone who comes along later and sits in the car. I showed you
similar lists, of "cancer causing products" that are in our house.
Hot dogs, Ajaax, shampoo, etc. OMG, think of the lives lost!

AND this:

"Given the rapid sorption and persistence of high levels of nicotine on
indoor surfaces€”including clothing and human skin€”this recently
dermal exposure, dust inhalation, and ingestion. These findings raise
concerns about exposures to the tobacco smoke residue that has
been recently dubbed €śthirdhand smoke."

"These findings raise concerns about exposures to the tobacco smoke residue"

Obviously you don't get around much. I gave you a cite where they list
the top 10 cancer causing substances found in our homes. Shampoo, hot dogs,
etc are on the list. I can find you endless studies that "raise concerns".
Based on that we should ban hot dogs, shampoo, coffee, and half the things
in our homes. BTW, how the hell does that tobacco residue get to you
when it's in a private restaurant or bar if you don't go in the place?
Answer, it doesn't.

The carcinogens deposited on any surface during that private room
restaurant smoking event leach out and combine with VOC's in the room
and air to create MORE dangerous toxins.

For an engineer, you really have a difficult time putting details
together to form a logical thought.

--
Maggie

For a village idiot you obviously are totally lacking in science.
Or even common sense. You look at a video of some out of control
jerks clearly resisting arrest, fighting with police and then come
in here and say that they were arrested for jay walking. That's
what lib loons do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 12:47:59 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 7/5/2016 9:24 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 1:28:52 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 7/4/2016 4:51 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 11:05:14 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 7/3/2016 5:48 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 12:55:49 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 7/3/2016 12:38 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 1:09:08 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 7/3/2016 8:30 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 4:36:03 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 7/2/2016 11:41 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/2/2016 12:20 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 12:04:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/2/2016 11:48 AM,
wrote:
Take a look at this weeks "Inside Man" on CNN.
He will tell you about all of the dangerous chemicals you have around
you every day. Most are in far higher concentrations than you find in
a whiff of smoke.

That may be, but it does not make smoke any less a danger. Factors
include concentration and length of exposure. Sitting in a tight space
with two chain smokers is more than a whiff.

As far as I know there is basically nowhere where you have to sit in a
tight space with two chain smokers. Unless you want to.
There are people who complain when they *see* a whiff of smoke
downwind 50 feet away.
People who complain about the *smell* of smoke on clothing.
That's what I assume he's talking about.

When we were kids it was common to have a car or living room filled with
smoke. Not so much today. Smell of smoke is not second hand smoke. I
may not like it but I don't see it as a health hazard.

Third hand smoke:

"Chemicals that are left over after smoking land on any surface in an
area where smoking has taken place. Studies have found that of chemicals

I can sy for sure a "whiff" can be more than enough to send me for my
inhaler.

Yesterday I found this little tidbit of info:

"1:
When THS reacts with nitrous oxide (for example from gas appliances or
car engines) in the air creating carcinogens known as nitrosamines. When
volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in THS react with ozone in the air to
create formaldehyde among other chemicals.
2:
- Studies in mice have found that THS causes molecular changes in cells
which lead to insulin resistance (simplistically, the precursor to
diabetes.)"

https://www.verywell.com/what-is-thi...-smoke-2248867

1. That information explains why I'd get so ill riding in a car when my
parents were smoking. I wouldn't just feel bad or cough - I would get
so sick to my stomach that I couldn't function for an entire day or more
depending on how long I was exposed.
2. I was exposed to second hand and third hand smoke my entire childhood
'til the day I moved out. For years I was hypoglycemic having episodes
of nearly passing out, and I'm now a type 2 diabetic.

ROFL. If you think something that they did in a lab test tube explains
why you got sick in a car from insulin resistance, you really are the
village idiot.

1. Riding in a car while my parents smoked made me sick to my stomach,

Listening to you, they were probably sick to their stomachs too.

Why would they be sick? They smoked the majority of their lives. OTOH,
I never smoked, and my body rejected anything to do with smoking, which
included secondhand & thirdhand smoke, and any VOC combination with
smoking.

sometimes, severely. I was told it was all in my head and there was no
physical reason I should get sick. Now, we know that "THS reacts with
nitrous oxide (for example from gas appliances or car engines) in the
air creating carcinogens known as nitrosamines. When volatile organic
compounds (VOCs) in THS react with ozone in the air to create
formaldehyde among other chemicals."

Additionally, formaldehyde can make people sick.

2. Secondhand smoke causes molecular changes in cells which lead to
insulin resistance (simplistically, the precursor to diabetes.)"

I was exposed to high levels of secondhand and thirdhand smoke for
approximately 20 years - I'm now type 2 diabetic. The information
indicates there is a connection between secondhand smoke exposure and 2
illnesses I've dealt with, so yes, I believe those explanations are valid.

BS. Again, you need some grounding in basic science and logic. That
study you cited shows nothing of the kind. You really are the idiot.

You asked for valid data of studies on the subject. I provided valid
data.

All you provided was that smoking in a closed car, God knows how many
cigarettes too, produces residue that the study says raises concerns.
Not one iota of proof on any actual risk, any actual harm. Being
clueless I thought you could at least understand when I gave you
that list of all the cancer causing products already in widespread
use. Why don't you ban hot dogs, for example? That was precisely
GFRE's point, that with that kind of standard, we are surrounded by
all kinds of lethal things all the time.

And of course none of that has anything to do with smoking in a private
bar, no one is forcing you to go there, just like no one is forcing
you to eat hot dogs or use shampoo.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

+1

-100 You can't compare a health issue related to toxic waste with a
self-defense issue related to gun ownership.

[...]

--
Maggie

Libs can. It';s all about your need to control how everyone lives, and
not being able to leave people free to live like they choose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/5/2016 12:04 PM, wrote:

[...]

I even gave her that list of the top cancer causing products in our
homes, hot dogs, shampoo, Ajax, etc. But no, focus on that one thing,
smoking, and insist on banning it in all venues, including a bar that
just wants to cater to smokers. Sure, she's a conservative. She doesn't
understand the basic principles of conservatism.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 4:03:35 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

Tell the traitor.
I now know where.
He gets all those.
Village idiot awards.
Which he tries.
To palm off.
On everyone else.

It doesn't make sense to me but maybe people who read this will know
what it means.

It's obvious that you are indeed the village idiot who either never took
algebra of failed it. Algebra test:

A = B x C

Solve for B = 2, C =3 Everyone else's answer 6

Solve for B = 0, C = 3 Everyone else's answer 0

Village idiot's answer: You can't do that, it's division by Zero,
so there is no answer. FAIL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2016 11:12 PM, bob haller wrote:

i have always gotten ill from secondhand smoke. my parents were heavy smokers.

its past time that smoking around children should get the smokers charged with child abuse

Part of me agrees, and part of me is
concerned about the nanny state that
government becomes.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 8:10:30 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

It's pretty clear here, you have *no one* backing you up! Frankly, I'm surprised you have returned with your tail between your legs!
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 explained :
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 4:03:35 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

Tell the traitor.
I now know where.
He gets all those.
Village idiot awards.
Which he tries.
To palm off.
On everyone else.

It doesn't make sense to me but maybe people who read this will know
what it means.

It's obvious that you are indeed the village idiot who either never took
algebra of failed it. Algebra test:

A = B x C

Solve for B = 2, C =3 Everyone else's answer 6

Solve for B = 0, C = 3 Everyone else's answer 0

Village idiot's answer: You can't do that, it's division by Zero,
so there is no answer. FAIL!

Your example above is an equation where the relationships don't *seem*
to matter. Using algebra it can be made into a formula. No, not the
formula your mommy gave you with your apple puree for lunch.

https://www.google.com/#q=formula%20vs.%20equation

A=BC divide both sides by C (this is algebra and C must be non-zero)
and flip it left to right for readability giving you B=A/C -- this is
now an equivalent equation for the formula.

Now divide both sides of the first equation by B (more algebra and B
must also be non-zero) to get C=A/B -- this is another equivalent
equation for the formula.

Now you have a formula (in three equations) where the relationships
matter. The three equivalent equations a

A=BC
B=A/C
C=A/B

Even in your seventh grade arithmetic equation there is a rule to
follow.

A = B x C -- B times any "number" is zero. C times any "number" is
zero.

For the *formula*, where the relationships matter and B and C must be
both "numbers" and "non-zero" or it is invalid. Invalid because the
relationship between B and C is that they are "inversely proportional".
https://www.google.com/#q=what+does+...portional+mean

Which means that as one approaches zero, the other approaches infinity
(which is not a number). When 'one or the other' *is* zero, the 'other
or one' *is* infinity. In this case you can't divide by one or multiply
by the other and get a sensible answer - the "formula" doesn't work.

Get whomever read you my post about D=RT to do it again, only slower so
that you can keep up. in D=RT you are saying that if R is zero then D
is zero. When I want to determine how far away work is, I can travel
just a tad above zero miles a minute and get there in just a tad less
than an infinite amount of time in minutes and multiply those two
"numbers" together to get the distance from work in miles. It is better
and takes less time if I use a higher rate of speed, but travelling
infinitely fast creates the same problem because the time will be zero.

If I try to do it your way when the rate actually *is* zero, I get zero
for an answer which is obviously a wrong answer since it is absurd to
believe that my neighbor's farmhouse will be crushed by a factory. I
won't even mention the poor cornfield. The actual distance to work is a
"constant" whatever value it actually has.

Get it yet?

Doing what you are doing makes the *formula* invalid because the
"algebra" used to create it requires that B or C not be zero.

This is fine where the Ohm's Law *formula* is used for "voltage drop"
because "voltage drop" *also* requires there be a non-zero current
flowing through a non-zero resistance. Which brings us right back to
the original "Al Gebra" post you started arguing with me about.

Where he said:

"Voltage drop is represented by the *formula* [my emphasis] E=I*R
Seems to me if the current flow is zero, then the voltage would be zero
as well."

And I said:

"That's a good theory, but IMO it is wrong."

Clearly stated as an opinion, but you just felt that you had to argue
about it so you could give away another of your well earned village
idiot awards to an undeserving passer-by.

--
(format t "Are you thumb kind of mathochist")
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/6/2016, bob_villain supposed :
[...]

He has imaginary friends who back him up, probably in private emails.

HTH

Since nobody seems to be talking about how to get the smelly sticky
yellow-brown stains out of the upholstery, curtains, or walls and
ceilings, shouldn't this thread have an OT in the subject line?

At least Ohm's Law is marginally on topic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2016 8:33 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Sure, she's a conservative.

Yes, I am!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Jul 2016 09:39:10 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 7/5/2016 11:12 PM, bob haller wrote:

i have always gotten ill from secondhand smoke. my parents were heavy smokers.

its past time that smoking around children should get the smokers charged with child abuse

Part of me agrees, and part of me is
concerned about the nanny state that
government becomes.

Up here it is illegal to smoke in your car with children under the
age og 16 in the car... Doesn't address the issue of putting young
children in cars that have been chain-smoked in daily for a couple of
years though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 2:37:16 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 7/5/2016 11:40 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Many smokers can't understand that I support their right to destroy their body any way they wish but I, like many people, am horribly allergic to tobacco smoke and its byproducts. How would a smoker feel if I spritzed them with pepper spray which would do the same thing to them that their drug habit is doing to me? I avoid places where smokers hang out but there are public spaces where I must go and many times a smoker will show up and get riled when they're asked to please move downwind. I have a severe allergic reaction when exposed to tobacco smoke and can be sick for days. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Wheezing Monster

+100

--
Maggie

Please, please, his head is big enough...marginal agreement will suffice. *^*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 11:35:42 AM UTC-4, bob_villain wrote:
[...]

Obviously you can't read, GFRE who started this thread is on the same
page, Stormin just made a post where he recognizes the political issue too.
Others have too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 2:08:55 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

It's obvious that you are indeed the village idiot who either never took
algebra of failed it. Algebra test:

A = B x C

Solve for B = 2, C =3 Everyone else's answer 6

Solve for B = 0, C = 3 Everyone else's answer 0

Village idiot's answer: You can't do that, it's division by Zero,
so there is no answer. FAIL!

Your example above is an equation where the relationships don't *seem*
to matter. Using algebra it can be made into a formula. No, not the
formula your mommy gave you with your apple puree for lunch.

It's obvious to everyone that took algebra that it doesn't need to
be made into a formula, it IS a formula:

A = B x C

0 = 0 x 3

QED.

Tell everyone here that when asked on the most basic algebra test to
solve for A when B=0, C =3 the answer isn't 0. That is everyone else's
answer, it's the correct answer. And no, we didn't divide by zero either
to get the answer.

You really are the village idiot.

Rest of your drival is just the same old crap, trying to force division
by zero, when no division by zero is required.

This is fine where the Ohm's Law *formula* is used for "voltage drop"
because "voltage drop" *also* requires there be a non-zero current
flowing through a non-zero resistance. Which brings us right back to
the original "Al Gebra" post you started arguing with me about.

There is no such requirement for Ohm's law. With a current of zero,
and finite resistance, Ohm's law gives zero for the voltage. Show
us a credible reference that says that Ohm's law says the current
can't be zero. You can't because it doesn't. Did you graph it yet?
It goes right through the origin. So sad how far the country has
sunk in math skills. You probably think we won our independence
from France in 1940 too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2016 3:13 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 2:37:16 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 7/5/2016 11:40 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Many smokers can't understand that I support their right to destroy their body any way they wish but I, like many people, am horribly allergic to tobacco smoke and its byproducts. How would a smoker feel if I spritzed them with pepper spray which would do the same thing to them that their drug habit is doing to me? I avoid places where smokers hang out but there are public spaces where I must go and many times a smoker will show up and get riled when they're asked to please move downwind. I have a severe allergic reaction when exposed to tobacco smoke and can be sick for days. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Wheezing Monster

+100

Please, please, his head is big enough...marginal agreement will suffice. *^*

.... but ... but ... I feel the SAME WAY he feels on this subject! ;-)

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2016 8:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

let me know where you live and I'll send you a cartoon of good smokes

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2016 8:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

Humm, so the space between your ears is not empty after all, it's filled with smoke. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Etherical Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/16 9:50 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

and get riled when they're asked to please move downwind. I have a

severe allergic reaction when exposed to tobacco smoke and can be sick
for days. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Wheezing Monster

let me know where you live and I'll send you a cartoon of good smokes

Humm, so the space between your ears is not empty after all, it's filled with smoke. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Etherical Monster

which is much more than the space between your ears
Posted to alt.home.repair

GREAT NEWS

Pennsylavania is raising taxes on tobacco a buck a pack for all tobacco products, including e cigarettes, and all nicotine supply systems

although 2 bucks would of been better.......

next year is coming.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 04:41:29 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

GREAT NEWS

Pennsylavania is raising taxes on tobacco a buck a pack for
all tobacco products, including e cigarettes, and all nicotine supply systems

although 2 bucks would of been better.......

next year is coming.

And what does this have to do with HOME REPAIR?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 7:41:33 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
GREAT NEWS

Pennsylavania is raising taxes on tobacco a buck a pack for all tobacco products, including e cigarettes, and all nicotine supply systems

although 2 bucks would of been better.......

next year is coming.

And I hope that next year they raise the tax on beer, wine, the internet,
cable, phone, your car, gasoline or anything else that you might enjoy.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander, you know.