Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Cellphone App that amazes me

I was at the local bar when a guy asked someome what song was playing on
the jukebox. He didn't know, but another guy grabbed his cellphone,
pushed a few bottons, and less than a half minute later he said the name
of the song as well as the artist, what album it was on and more...

I looked at the guy and said "how did you do that?". He said its a phone
app. The microphone in the phone listens to a sample of the music, and
can identify exactly what it is. Later on, I went over to the jukebox,
and played an old song from the mid-1960s, which was not a real well
known band. Sure enough, the phone knew what it was.....

I have to admit, I was impressed!

It's getting to the point that I have to ask what CANT these phones do,
rather than ask what they CAN do.... I've even seen a special doorbell
advertised which shows who is at your door. Not only when you're in the
house, but anywhere you are. That's crazy, but I have to admit, it's
kind of cool. The only lacking feature is the shotgun that pops out of
the wall when a salesman or burgular comes to the door.

This same guy then walked over to a pool table and set his phone in the
middle of the table. A circular level appeared, and he checked to see if
the table was level (it was slightly off).

Last summer while camping, someone pointed their phone at the sky, and
it showed all the constellations and their names. Very cool!

I also heard they have an app that will tell a person their
blood-alcohol level. I'm not sure how it senses that though.

I just have a basic flip-phone, and I dont really want a smartphone just
for calls and the few texts I send, but I'd almost consider getting one
just for some of the apps they can have.

Maybe when they come up with an app, that saws a 2x4 in half and
includes a screw gun, electronic hammer, cooks my dinner, cleans my
house, and washes my dishes, I'll get one!

Who knows, maybe in the future, they will make a cellphone that even
takes care of it's owners sexual needs.... but I wont go into detail on
that!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2016 8:04 AM, wrote:
[...]

Two cell phone aps, I'd like to see.
1) Explains what women really mean when they say
some thing like "Oh, it's all right" or "whatever
you want, dear."
2) Explains why Hillary! and Bernie Sanders voters
think that Hillary! or Bernie policies will be good
for America.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 8:05:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I was at the local bar when a guy asked someome what song was playing on
the jukebox. He didn't know, but another guy grabbed his cellphone,
pushed a few bottons, and less than a half minute later he said the name
of the song as well as the artist, what album it was on and more...

I looked at the guy and said "how did you do that?". He said its a phone
app. The microphone in the phone listens to a sample of the music, and
can identify exactly what it is. Later on, I went over to the jukebox,
and played an old song from the mid-1960s, which was not a real well
known band. Sure enough, the phone knew what it was.....

I have to admit, I was impressed!

Shazam is the app. I had it loaded on my phone at one time, but after
the novelty of playing with it, I never used it.

It's getting to the point that I have to ask what CANT these phones do,
rather than ask what they CAN do.... I've even seen a special doorbell
advertised which shows who is at your door. Not only when you're in the
house, but anywhere you are. That's crazy, but I have to admit, it's
kind of cool. The only lacking feature is the shotgun that pops out of
the wall when a salesman or burgular comes to the door.

Costco is selling that video doorbell for $180. I guess it has some
advantages, like if a burglar is ringing your doorbell prior to breaking
in when you're away. But not enough utility there to make it attractive
for me.

This same guy then walked over to a pool table and set his phone in the
middle of the table. A circular level appeared, and he checked to see if
the table was level (it was slightly off).

I have that on my phone.

Last summer while camping, someone pointed their phone at the sky, and
it showed all the constellations and their names. Very cool!

I didn't know about that one. A friend has an electronic viewing device
that you sight through, get the crosshairs on the target of interest,
push a button and it tells you what it is. Works in reverse too, you
can look up planets, stars, select one and it will direct you via arrows
in the viewing port to where it is in the sky.

I also heard they have an app that will tell a person their
blood-alcohol level. I'm not sure how it senses that though.

I wound think it would require some kind of plug-in, attachment, etc.

I just have a basic flip-phone, and I dont really want a smartphone just
for calls and the few texts I send, but I'd almost consider getting one
just for some of the apps they can have.

Problem is that until recently, every carrier I had experience with,
you had to have a data plan with them to use any kind of internet access,
even wifi. I finally found one that doesn't require that. If you can
find one in your area, then you can use those neat apps without having
a monthly data plan. Otherwise, you're going to have to pay whatever
the extra cost for a data plan is. I guess now that's becoming less of
an issue, with the plans dropping to $35 - $45. When they were $80+ it
was more of an issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

http://www.androidfreeware.net/download-schottgunn.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

my GF has a smart phone, she spends all her time on it.

why did it ring, beep, or bop? must respond immediately..

she looks up all sorts of meaningless stuff, and its big time waster....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2016 11:26 AM, bob haller wrote:
my GF has a smart phone, she spends all her time on it.

why did it ring, beep, or bop? must respond immediately..

she looks up all sorts of meaningless stuff, and its big time waster....

Opens up the question. Is this the kind of GF you
wish to be dating? A cell phone addict? Perhaps that
is exactly suited to your needs. Me, I'd keep looking.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 3/25/2016 11:26 AM, bob haller wrote:
my GF has a smart phone, she spends all her time on it.

why did it ring, beep, or bop? must respond immediately..

she looks up all sorts of meaningless stuff, and its big time waster....

Opens up the question. Is this the kind of GF you
wish to be dating? A cell phone addict? Perhaps that
is exactly suited to your needs. Me, I'd keep looking.

I think SHE has already answered that question from her point of view.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 10:06:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Never thought I'd use my phone as much as I do. I too often find myself
waiting for my wife at the doctor's office or the like and little to do.
I can read the news, check the weather, read my email, check accounts
at financial institutions, etc.

I also use a sound meter to check noise levels in the shop, take photos
of things I'd not normally think of. Like the label I can't read on a
motor, or the model number of an appliance where my head does not fit to
read it easily.

It can be a toy that wastes a lot of time, but it can be a useful tool
that can save time.

Neighbor has a 'barcode' reader App. Easy for comparative shopping
while in the stores - finds the best prices for that item.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 8:25:57 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 8:05:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I was at the local bar when a guy asked someome what song was playing on
the jukebox. He didn't know, but another guy grabbed his cellphone,
pushed a few bottons, and less than a half minute later he said the name
of the song as well as the artist, what album it was on and more...

I looked at the guy and said "how did you do that?". He said its a phone
app. The microphone in the phone listens to a sample of the music, and
can identify exactly what it is. Later on, I went over to the jukebox,
and played an old song from the mid-1960s, which was not a real well
known band. Sure enough, the phone knew what it was.....

I have to admit, I was impressed!

Shazam is the app. I had it loaded on my phone at one time, but after
the novelty of playing with it, I never used it.

Shazam *may* have been the app. There are others that do the same thing.

I use SoundHound. I have it on the home screen of my phone and will often tap
it when I hear a song/artist on the TV that I like but don't recognize.

For example, Suits often plays short snippets of modern/obscure songs. Many
shows do. It's a marketing thing. Since I don't listen to a lot of commercial
radio, I am not as up to date as I used to be. If I like a song, I'll tap
SoundHound, identify the artist and then use Pandora or YouTube to listen to
more of the artist/genre.

YouTube allows me to hear more of the same artist, Pandora introduces me to
similar artists within the same genre.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 3:02:06 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I'd like to disagree with I just said, It's a marketing thing.

After I thought about it for a second or two, I realized that some of the
artists I've been introduced to are not commercial successes and may never
be.

I think that someone on the show (a writer, a producer, an actor, etc.)
just liked the song/lyrics and used it on the show. There are some really
good yet very obscure artists out there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 08:26:26 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

my GF has a smart phone, she spends all her time on it.

why did it ring, beep, or bop? must respond immediately..

she looks up all sorts of meaningless stuff, and its big time waster....

There are two people who come to the local bar, who sit in the back room
with a beer, and never srop looking at their phones. Other people have
commented on them too. If you try to talk to them, they usually dont
even respond, or just give a yes or no answer. I've looked at the screen
on their phone and it's mostly facebook. I cant imagine why they even
come to the bar. It would be easier and cheaper to just stay home and
stare at their phone with a beer. The funny thing, those two are one
male, ome female, and they are always together. It's been a joke with
others at the bar, that someday those two will get married and spend
their honeymoon in a motel staring at facebook on their phones!!! With
any luck, they will have intercourse over their phones too, and if any
children are born later, the kids will have numerals on them, and will
only make beeping sounds.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2016 8:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Problem is that until recently, every carrier I had experience with,
you had to have a data plan with them to use any kind of internet access,
even wifi. I finally found one that doesn't require that. If you can
find one in your area, then you can use those neat apps without having
a monthly data plan. Otherwise, you're going to have to pay whatever
the extra cost for a data plan is. I guess now that's becoming less of
an issue, with the plans dropping to $35 - $45. When they were $80+ it
was more of an issue.

One doesn't need a data plan to use WiFi. In fact, one can use an old
cell phone without service in WiFi areas with full functioning apps.
There are many app tools which don't even require connection such as
that level. It's just a handy tool to have within the phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 10:31:45 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:
On 3/25/2016 8:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Problem is that until recently, every carrier I had experience with,
you had to have a data plan with them to use any kind of internet access,
even wifi. I finally found one that doesn't require that. If you can
find one in your area, then you can use those neat apps without having
a monthly data plan. Otherwise, you're going to have to pay whatever
the extra cost for a data plan is. I guess now that's becoming less of
an issue, with the plans dropping to $35 - $45. When they were $80+ it
was more of an issue.

One doesn't need a data plan to use WiFi. In fact, one can use an old
cell phone without service in WiFi areas with full functioning apps.
There are many app tools which don't even require connection such as
that level. It's just a handy tool to have within the phone.

While what you say is true, let's make sure we are clear for those that
are "amazed" by these cell phone apps.

There are certainly apps that do not a require a network connection to run,
but you obviously need a network connection to get them on the phone on
the first place - assuming that they didn't come with the phone.

In addition, there are basically 3 types of apps: full functionality without
a network connection, limited functionality without a network connection, and
no useful functionality without a network connection.

So while it is true that users can use "full functioning apps" without
a network connection, those apps with be a very small subset of all
available apps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 10:31:45 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:
On 3/25/2016 8:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Problem is that until recently, every carrier I had experience with,
you had to have a data plan with them to use any kind of internet access,
even wifi. I finally found one that doesn't require that. If you can
find one in your area, then you can use those neat apps without having
a monthly data plan. Otherwise, you're going to have to pay whatever
the extra cost for a data plan is. I guess now that's becoming less of
an issue, with the plans dropping to $35 - $45. When they were $80+ it
was more of an issue.

One doesn't need a data plan to use WiFi.

Well, as I said, in the past you did if you wanted to use that smartphone
on Verizon. They would not put a smartphone on their network without you
subscribing to one of their data plans. You could not use their network
for only voice/text and go wifi for data. I saw plenty of other people
complaining about similar policies from other major carriers. And as I
said, that policy may have changed, but that's what it was about 2 1/2
years ago when I left Verizon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 10:38:30 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

+1

Just used the GasBuddy App to find the lowest price diesel in the
area. That's one that obviously won't work without a network connection.
Others like the bubble level, will.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 08:53:34 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

So while it is true that users can use "full functioning apps" without
a network connection, those apps with be a very small subset of all
available apps.

+1

Just used the GasBuddy App to find the lowest price diesel in the
area. That's one that obviously won't work without a network connection.
Others like the bubble level, will.

I believe 911 calls will work. People donate older phones to seniors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2016 10:38 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Obviously, much depends on the app and it's use. The initial install of
an app with WiFi isn't an ordeal and a one time procedure and as I
stated, no provider is needed. If someone wants an app to search prices,
locations, distances or any type of updated service while on the move.
then yes, a data connection will be needed IF NOT within WiFi connecting
area. Otherwise, it can still be obtained via WiFi when/if they stop
where that connection is available.

There are many apps which are not a subset and offer great use without
any connection. I use many of them. I have an iPad without data and take
it with me everywhere. I obviously don't use it while driving but the
apps within offer many advantages and usage without connection.

I'm stating this because it appears you are displaying a negative impact
on apps as a whole when they can offer great conveniences. My apologies
if I'm wrong. Overall, it's up to the user to do their own investigation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2016 11:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

If you're referring to still using the phone for it's main purpose (or
maybe not so much anymore) of calling, then you're correct, Verizon
wouldn't allow that. But if you upgraded to a new phone, for example,
and you have your old one without connection, it's still functional for
many many uses. Camera, games, apps not requiring OTA data, videos,
books, GPS/navigation, calculators, conversions and the list goes on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 11:48:21 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Yes, you need a data plan with most carriers in order to get voice service, but that
doesn't make a smartphone without a plan useless. (You may know this, I'm just
sharing.)

There is a difference between activating a phone on a carrier's network and using it to
access the internet. I have a Verizon data plan for my main smartphone. I also have TWC
which provides my internet access and WiFi at home. I have an older smartphone that I
still use to access the internet without it being on any carrier's network.

For example, the old phone typically lives in my shop where I use it to listen to
Pandora, Tune-In radio, youtube, surf the web, etc. It's attached to an old stereo
system through the headphone jack. No plan, it's basically a low end tablet.

If I wanted to, I could use it for VoIP and get "voice service" to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/16 11:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

This is changing the discussion somewhat. The OP was ANY kind of
Internet Access, even Wifi. If all you want is Wifi, then you aren't on
Verizon's network and that is easy (after all that is essentially what
the iPods are). Now if you want to get one from Verizon, I can see the
problem. But we have a bunch of iPhone 4 handsets that have been
replaced by newer ones and we still use the 4s for Pandora and other
Internet uses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So while it is true that users can use "full functioning apps" without
a network connection, those apps with be a very small subset of all
available apps.

+1

Just used the GasBuddy App to find the lowest price diesel in the
area. That's one that obviously won't work without a network connection.
Others like the bubble level, will.

I believe 911 calls will work. People donate older phones to seniors.

Are you saying seniors aren't intelligent enough to operate the newer
phones?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So while it is true that users can use "full functioning apps" without
a network connection, those apps with be a very small subset of all
available apps.

+1

Just used the GasBuddy App to find the lowest price diesel in the
area. That's one that obviously won't work without a network connection.
Others like the bubble level, will.

I believe 911 calls will work. People donate older phones to seniors.

Are you saying seniors aren't intelligent enough to operate the newer
phones?

I believe that he is saying that people donate _their_ older phones to seniors.

e.g. If you have an Galaxy S5 and then upgrade to a S6, your fairly modern S5 is
now an "older phone".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So while it is true that users can use "full functioning apps" without
a network connection, those apps with be a very small subset of all
available apps.

+1

Just used the GasBuddy App to find the lowest price diesel in the
area. That's one that obviously won't work without a network connection.
Others like the bubble level, will.

I believe 911 calls will work. People donate older phones to seniors.

Are you saying seniors aren't intelligent enough to operate the newer
phones?

Many seniors have no use for a phone or data plan and the cost that goes
with it. They do like the security that allows a call to 911 if needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 12:46:55 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:
[...]

First, no one said installing an app over WiFi was an "ordeal".

Second, a provider is most certainly needed. WiFi is a network connection
and someone must *provide* that network connection. You don't need a data
plan from a data plan provider, such as Verizon or Sprint, but you do need
a network connection provider, even if you aren't paying for it.

If someone wants an app to search prices,
locations, distances or any type of updated service while on the move.
then yes, a data connection will be needed IF NOT within WiFi connecting
area. Otherwise, it can still be obtained via WiFi when/if they stop
where that connection is available.

There are many apps which are not a subset

Perhaps you don't know the meaning of "subset".

subset
- a part of a larger group of related things.
- a set of which all the elements are contained in another set.

If we consider the "set" to be every app in the universe of apps, then
a subset is any smaller group of apps contained within that set.

"All apps that require a network connection for full functionality" is
a subset of the set of all apps.

"All apps that give you driving directions" is a subset of the set of
all apps.

"All apps that tell you if a surface is level" is a subset of the set
of all apps.

Oh, I almost forgot: "All apps that do not require an network connection
to work" is a subset of the set of all apps.

and offer great use without any connection. I use many of them.

As do most of us.

I have an iPad without data and take
it with me everywhere. I obviously don't use it while driving but the
apps within offer many advantages and usage without connection.

And those apps are a subset of the set of all apps.

I'm stating this because it appears you are displaying a negative impact
on apps as a whole when they can offer great conveniences. My apologies
if I'm wrong.

While there was no real need to apologize, I have no idea how you got the
impression that I was "displaying a negative impact on apps as a whole".

First off, grammer-wise, I'm not even sure what "displaying a negative
impact" means. Did you perhaps mean "portraying a negative image"?

If that's the case, then I still have no idea how you got the impression
that I was being negative in any manner. All I did was point out that
apps that don't require a network connection for full functionality are
a small subset of all available apps. That's not a negative, it just is.

Overall, it's up to the user to do their own investigation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 18:55:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Many seniors have no use for a phone or data plan and the cost that goes
with it. They do like the security that allows a call to 911 if needed.

The local PD has an occasional collection drive for phones for
seniors, manly for 911 ability, Cost them nothing when donated and
they can call 911 if necessary. My bride volunteers for the same PD.
We gave phones for the cause before.

Similar to the fire department getting and collecting and installing
new smoke detectors for the elders.

Support your local veterans, too. We also give to abused women causes
locally. Items for the animal shelters also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 22:16:53 -0000, "Kenny" wrote:

Are you saying seniors aren't intelligent enough to operate the newer
phones?

Did I remotely suggest that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Smartphones are "The Mark Of The Beast". Soon everyone will have to own one or they will not be able to function. You won't be able to purchase anything because there will be no more cash and your SmartAssPhone will be the only way you can access your bank account. There is a push by the government to do away with tangible currency and switch the economy to electronic money which the feds can turn off if you don't behave yourself. You'll be required to have a SAP,"SmartAssPhone" to travel, to enter buildings, start your vehicle, obtain food and medical care. You won't be able to walk down a street without your SAP since law enforcement will be notified that an unmarked human is loose because the cameras will pick you up without a GPS location signal coming from a SAP. Of course subjects of The Imperial Federal Government could just wind up with an electronic chip implanted in their skulls at birth. Perhaps it's simply a lot of paranoid garbage? o_O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypr18UmxOas

[8~{} Uncle Paranoid Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2016 4:06 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

It's true! I heard it from Aunt Myrtle, who heard
it from the hair dresser, who heard it from a CIA
guy who comes in for manicures.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Opens up the question. Is this the kind of GF you
wish to be dating? A cell phone addict? Perhaps that
is exactly suited to your needs. Me, I'd keep looking.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

she and her son have been here approaching 5 years, in august. the cell phone issue has only arisen recently....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So while it is true that users can use "full functioning apps" without
a network connection, those apps with be a very small subset of all
available apps.

+1

Just used the GasBuddy App to find the lowest price diesel in the
area. That's one that obviously won't work without a network connection.
Others like the bubble level, will.

I believe 911 calls will work. People donate older phones to seniors.

Are you saying seniors aren't intelligent enough to operate the newer phones?

In an emergency, seniors won't remember where they put their smartphone.

Of course, a smartphone is only useful if the daffy senior remembered to keep it charged up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 3:44:37 PM UTC-4, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
[...]

The OP's post was about Shazam and similar interesting apps, not
about how you access the internet on a smartphone. The discussion
changed long before I entered it.

If all you want is Wifi, then you aren't on
Verizon's network and that is easy (after all that is essentially what
the iPods are). Now if you want to get one from Verizon, I can see the
problem. But we have a bunch of iPhone 4 handsets that have been
replaced by newer ones and we still use the 4s for Pandora and other
Internet uses.

Sure, you can do that. But the vast majority of people are purchasing
and using smartphones for use as a cell phone on a cell phone network,
ie they need that as a key requirement. And just a few years ago, you
couldn't put a smartphone on the Verizon cell network for voice only
or voice and text and then use wifi for internet. You had to have a
data plan. That was a big issue for many people. It was for me.
If I could have done that, I would have switched to a smartphone much
earlier and relied on using it at a hotspot for the occasional times
I needed internet accesss. But I wasn't going to have one voice phone
with Verizon, then buy another smartphone and carry it around, use
it only for internet for the once in awhile that I might need it.
That doesn't fit my usage model. I can see
how it might fit some people's model, but it's not the mainstream
usage for smartphones. The vast majority of smartphones are being
used with a cell phone plan on a cell phone carrier's network.

That's why I posted:

Problem is that until recently, every carrier I had experience with,
you had to have a data plan with them to use any kind of internet access,
even wifi.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

While I was having my coffee, two new examples of the big boot of liberal govt
were on the radio news:

1 - A new ban passed by NYC taking effect on e-cigarettes at Yankee Stadium
and Citi Field. Once again, the libs just can't get enough of controlling
you and your life. They started with banning smoking in most public places,
then restaurants, bars, businesses, but they never will be satisfied. So,
now, they are starting in on e-cigarettes. Note that I've never smoked
cigarettes, but I've never had the need to control what everyone does
either. This is a good example of why gun owners believe every law that
the libs want to pass is just part of a natural progression to eliminate
all guns.

2 - A new law in NY makes it mandatory for doctors to write prescriptions
electronically. Again, the whole world is moving there on it's own.
My doc started doing it years ago. It's happening, yet again, the libs
insist on yet another law, to force it to happen. We've gotting along
for 200 years with written ones, yet now they just have to force it
down every doctors throats. Again, an example of big govt that just
has to get involved.

And while I'm on the subject, here's a good example of what big govt
is up to. Some years ago, a local gas station did a promo with a
local radio station, where they were selling gas at a deep discount.
Within hours the state regulators showed up to enforce a law from
the 1930s that says it's illegal to sell gasoline below cost. Isn't
it interesting that we have a bunch of regulators sitting around,
aware of and ready to jump with an hour's notice, to enforce silly
laws against such heinous crimes? They are good at persecuting
smokers, controlling what we eat, how much salt we can have, what
size soda we can buy. And meanwhile in lib utopias
like Belgium, they can't find terrorists they knew about since
November. They finally caught one 5 days before Brussels got
blown up and in all that time, they interrogated him for only 2 hours,
and never once asked if there were any other imminent plots in the
works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So while it is true that users can use "full functioning apps" without
a network connection, those apps with be a very small subset of all
available apps.

+1

Just used the GasBuddy App to find the lowest price diesel in the
area. That's one that obviously won't work without a network connection.
Others like the bubble level, will.

I believe 911 calls will work. People donate older phones to seniors.

Are you saying seniors aren't intelligent enough to operate the newer phones?

In an emergency, seniors won't remember where they put their smartphone.

Of course, a smartphone is only useful if the daffy senior remembered to keep it charged up.

Yea, I remember when I was a freshman, the seniors were a bunch of assholes. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Schoolboy Monster