Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Cellphone App that amazes me

I was at the local bar when a guy asked someome what song was playing on
the jukebox. He didn't know, but another guy grabbed his cellphone,
pushed a few bottons, and less than a half minute later he said the name
of the song as well as the artist, what album it was on and more...

I looked at the guy and said "how did you do that?". He said its a phone
app. The microphone in the phone listens to a sample of the music, and
can identify exactly what it is. Later on, I went over to the jukebox,
and played an old song from the mid-1960s, which was not a real well
known band. Sure enough, the phone knew what it was.....

I have to admit, I was impressed!

It's getting to the point that I have to ask what CANT these phones do,
rather than ask what they CAN do.... I've even seen a special doorbell
advertised which shows who is at your door. Not only when you're in the
house, but anywhere you are. That's crazy, but I have to admit, it's
kind of cool. The only lacking feature is the shotgun that pops out of
the wall when a salesman or burgular comes to the door.

This same guy then walked over to a pool table and set his phone in the
middle of the table. A circular level appeared, and he checked to see if
the table was level (it was slightly off).

Last summer while camping, someone pointed their phone at the sky, and
it showed all the constellations and their names. Very cool!

I also heard they have an app that will tell a person their
blood-alcohol level. I'm not sure how it senses that though.

I just have a basic flip-phone, and I dont really want a smartphone just
for calls and the few texts I send, but I'd almost consider getting one
just for some of the apps they can have.

Maybe when they come up with an app, that saws a 2x4 in half and
includes a screw gun, electronic hammer, cooks my dinner, cleans my
house, and washes my dishes, I'll get one!

Who knows, maybe in the future, they will make a cellphone that even
takes care of it's owners sexual needs.... but I wont go into detail on
that!!!