Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default (OT) Cellphone App that amazes me

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 8:25:57 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 8:05:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I was at the local bar when a guy asked someome what song was playing on
the jukebox. He didn't know, but another guy grabbed his cellphone,
pushed a few bottons, and less than a half minute later he said the name
of the song as well as the artist, what album it was on and more...

I looked at the guy and said "how did you do that?". He said its a phone
app. The microphone in the phone listens to a sample of the music, and
can identify exactly what it is. Later on, I went over to the jukebox,
and played an old song from the mid-1960s, which was not a real well
known band. Sure enough, the phone knew what it was.....

I have to admit, I was impressed!

Shazam is the app. I had it loaded on my phone at one time, but after
the novelty of playing with it, I never used it.

Shazam *may* have been the app. There are others that do the same thing.

I use SoundHound. I have it on the home screen of my phone and will often tap
it when I hear a song/artist on the TV that I like but don't recognize.

For example, Suits often plays short snippets of modern/obscure songs. Many
shows do. It's a marketing thing. Since I don't listen to a lot of commercial
radio, I am not as up to date as I used to be. If I like a song, I'll tap
SoundHound, identify the artist and then use Pandora or YouTube to listen to
more of the artist/genre.

YouTube allows me to hear more of the same artist, Pandora introduces me to
similar artists within the same genre.