Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (dry) "Fitted stone" facades

In preparation for house paint (probably this Summer/Fall),
I'm trying to decide what to do with the porches. Exterior
of each is cheap, painted paneling. Rest of house is stucco
over block.

I could stucco both but that seems pretty boring.

Another option is tongue and groove planks -- possibly set
at a 45 to the floor (for a "swept" look). Natural stain.

Yet another option (my favorite) is a fitted stone facade.
But, the sort where there are no grout lines -- just very
tightly fitted stones (the stones having shapes similar
to *bricks* -- of various sizes). I.e., the wall feels
almost flat -- but rough.

They are not structural -- perhaps just a couple of inches thick
(front to back) and no stone/brick is more than an inch or two "tall".

A cursory look at these sorts of walls (usually on commercial
establishments, not residences) *suggests* that they are individual
stones and someone just was incredibly patient/lucky to manage
to ALWAYS find "just the right stone" for the odd shape that
needed to be filled.

I'm pretty sure I don't believe that! I suspect they are
prefabbed in some way (like the little 1" tiles you encounter
on bathroom floors -- sold in 12x12" SHEETS (so you don't have
to set each individual tile!). But, the arrangement of
"cracks"/edges is so busy that it's virtually impossible to
*see* an underlying pattern!

Can anyone confirm that they are, in fact, sold as "assemblies"?
That I don't have to budget weeks of time to preisely fitting
a gazillion little rectangular blocks?

And, as there appears to be no mortar (between "courses"),
how they are attached to the structure?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2016 5:58 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Are you talking about stacked stone? I'm not really clear what you're
referring to. Got a link or some picture?

I like the idea of the planks. That sounds really pretty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 16:58:46 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

[...]

You have natural stone like this
http://www.nsvi.com/
You also have man made products like this
http://www.eldoradostone.com/

If you are somewhat far away you can use the Eldorado stuff but up
close you want the natural stone.
The cultured stone is very regular in height and you just stack them
up. The natural stone can be diamond cut or split. Diamond cut is very
regular too. The split stone looks better but there is a lot of hand
fitting. We made an entertainment center, electric fire place etc with
the split NVSI stone and I thought it came out well but doing the
puzzle takes a little time.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/cabinet/Our...s/image010.jpg
This is mostly done in this picture but I had not finished the wood
trim, the kicks and the far panel.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/cabinet%202015.jpg
All of the panels open and the whole thing is on wheels.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/cabinet%202015%20open.jpg
You put down expanded metal stucco lath, mortar it and stick on the
stone like you would do tile. I like "flex" mortar because it really
sticks. Then use a wet tooth brush to remove any mortar that squeezes
out. That usually means you used too much mortar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
[...]

What I've seen around here (central Florida) isn't stone, it is concrete
molded and colored to look like stone. No reason it couldn't be fabricated
in large units but it doesn't look like it. It doesn't look like it because
one can find "stones" that are identical in shape and form but different in
coloration. I would guess that the mode of attachment is mortar, thinset or
otherwise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Most of those photos are what I think of as stacked stone. And the stone
seems to be in small sections because that's the way it is currently
coming loose. The wood stove insert downstairs has that stacked stone
and I hate it, mainly because it's drab and more because over the years
sections of it have come loose. Can't wait to take it off and replace
it with something else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 06:44:33 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Don Y wrote:
[...]

I think Eldorodo does make panels but that is the cultured stone, not
real stone. It may look OK from across the street but up close you
know it isn't real. If you are not doing a wide expanse, I imagine you
also get some waste and you are cutting the panels. A diamond blade in
a circular saw or a side grinder goes right through it. I got 8 boxes
of Eldorodo stacking stone left over from a job and we used them for
garden edging. (set in a poured concrete border).
I have a lot of stone work here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you set it with flex mortar it isn't going to come loose.
The cultured stone is pretty drab looking but the natural stone is
vibrant and you can hit it with a sealer like stone glamor to really
bring up the color if you want. I like it natural. The real advantage
of natural stone is it is not going to fade in the sun and it is very
stain resistant. The same is not going to be true of the cultured
product. There are also lots of kinds of stone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

that looks very cool!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I still have to finish the wood trim. We are looking for more of the
"live edge" cypress like we have for the mantel piece over the fire
place. The guy we got that one from died. I want to bring that all the
way around the waist band. I have the cypress to do the end caps but I
want to fit it to the live edge stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2016 10:21 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 06:52:49 -0600, SeaNymph
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Seems that everything in this house is maple, the floors, the cabinets,
the window frames. There is a lot of maple in this house and that's the
way it was when we bought it. The walls are painted in nice, rich
colors and while that helps, it's not enough, imo.

We've already changed the countertops and the downstairs wood stove
surround is next.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2016 10:21 AM, wrote:

[...]

q: In the photos, it looks like it's a fireplace below the tv. Doesn't
the heat from the fireplace also heat up the tv? Wouldn't the heat do
damage?
--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:24:00 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/17/2016 10:21 AM, wrote:

[...]

It is an electric with a 1.44kw heater. The blower gets the heat away
from the TV pretty well. It does not seem to get warm above the mantel
We seldom turn the heater on anyway.
I have fans in the 2 equipment bays beside the fire place to get the
heat from those components out. I used a remote sense thermometer to
verify that I was not over heating anything. There are 2 satellite
boxes, a PC, a ReplayTV, a DVD player, a disk carousel and 2 UPS units
in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2016 11:25 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:24:00 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/17/2016 10:21 AM,
wrote:

[...]

yeah, I saw lots of components in the shelves. That was going to be my
next question - if they heated up much being next to the heater like
that. I couldn't see any fans, though, but that would do the trick for
sure. Thanks!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 23:33:44 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/17/2016 11:25 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:24:00 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/17/2016 10:21 AM,
wrote:

[...]

The electric insert runs cool to the touch, even with the heat on.
The fans are in the back and vent the air up the back of the cabinet.
It really does not take that much air flow to cool it. Two 4"
"whisper" fans do it and you don't really even hear them running.
It pulls the air from the bottom where it is naturally cooler.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2016 11:56 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 23:33:44 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/17/2016 11:25 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:24:00 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/17/2016 10:21 AM,
wrote:

[...]

awe ... I can picture how that would work. I have a small fan pointed
up towards the ceiling where my oil heater sits. The warm air from it
gets caught in the fan circulation and really keeps the entire room
warm. I guess it doesn't take a big fan to do that. Mines about an 8
inch fan.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 00:35:07 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/17/2016 11:56 PM, wrote:
[...]

When I was doing the heat load calcs on the components I used my
Killawatt power monitor set to display current. Watts are really heat.
(1kw ~ 3400 BTU)
It turned out the satellite boxes were the biggest power hogs, even
bigger than the PC, decoding a movie file. I split them up, one on
each side. I am dissipating a few hundred watts on each side, max. It
is not enough to significantly heat the room but it would make those
equipment bays toasty without the fans.
I am getting rid of the DVD and the Replay. My PC plays DVDs fine. I
really want to get rid of the satellite too and be entirely online
streaming along with a DVR that will record OTA. I have another, more
capable PC ready to go that has the DVR card and the software but I
just have not been ready to rewire that whole mess.
As I said, the whole thing is on wheels so I can roll it out into the
room to rewire. With all of that stone the center segment weighs about
500-600 pounds but I have six "office machine" caster sets on it so it
rolls pretty easy. The book case on the left rolls too. The one on
the right is fixed, since there wasn't really anywhere for it to roll
anyway. It also has drawers instead of sliding panels (again nowhere
to slide) and if it wasn't fastened to the wall the weight of the
stone faced drawers would pull it over, even if they were empty.
When everything is closed up, the stone fits tight enough that most
people don't even realize it will open up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2016 5:11 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

Yet another option (my favorite) is a fitted stone facade.
But, the sort where there are no grout lines -- just very
tightly fitted stones (the stones having shapes similar
to *bricks* -- of various sizes). I.e., the wall feels
almost flat -- but rough.

A cursory look at these sorts of walls (usually on commercial
establishments, not residences) *suggests* that they are individual
stones and someone just was incredibly patient/lucky to manage
to ALWAYS find "just the right stone" for the odd shape that
needed to be filled.

Can anyone confirm that they are, in fact, sold as "assemblies"?
That I don't have to budget weeks of time to precisely fitting
a gazillion little rectangular blocks?

And, as there appears to be no mortar (between "courses"),
how they are attached to the structure?

Are you talking about stacked stone? I'm not really clear what you're
referring to. Got a link or some picture?

No. There are a few commercial establishments in town that
use the stuff in which I'm interested. I will have to take a
camera and snap some closeups (anything from a distance wouldn't
show the closeness of fit)

I like the idea of the planks. That sounds really pretty.

It has the advantage of presenting a contrast to visitors.
Instead of the heaviness of the (painted) stucco, it's more
organic and "rich". We may partially enclose both porches
so this approach would make the areas feel more like
rooms than "exterior areas".

In either case, I figure I can just apply whatever as a
veneer over the existing paneling, etc. (unless I opt
to remove it to increase the R value of that wall)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2016 12:39 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Some time with google turned up this:
http://southwestblock.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Stacked_Stone_1271348324.jpg

Not exactly what I was describing but illustrates the key aspects:
- "stones" are not uniform in size/shape (i.e., doesn't look like bricks!)
- they are roughly the same color (unlike some that are multicolored)
- the surface is somewhat flat (no big indents or protrusions)
- stones fit together *tight*
- no grout/mortar lines evident
- any "pattern" is difficult to discern (the suggestion that this
was pieced together from individual, unique stones and not
cookie cutter)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2016 6:37 PM, wrote:
You have natural stone like this
http://www.nsvi.com/
You also have man made products like this
http://www.eldoradostone.com/

If you are somewhat far away you can use the Eldorado stuff but up
close you want the natural stone.

Exactly. Folks will be able to *touch* this in the normal course
of usage (e.g., approaching the front door, sitting on the porch,
etc.). Also, able to scrutinize it "up close and personal".
And, it wants/needs to be reasonably flat; can't have things
jutting out that folks could bump into.

The cultured stone is very regular in height and you just stack them
up. The natural stone can be diamond cut or split. Diamond cut is very
regular too. The split stone looks better but there is a lot of hand
fitting. We made an entertainment center, electric fire place etc with
the split NVSI stone and I thought it came out well but doing the
puzzle takes a little time.

So, they *are* individual pieces? Not prefabbed "assemblies"
(that just happen to be "busy enough" -- visually -- that your eye
can't readily discern a pattern)?

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/cabinet/Our...s/image010.jpg
This is mostly done in this picture but I had not finished the wood
trim, the kicks and the far panel.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/cabinet%202015.jpg
All of the panels open and the whole thing is on wheels.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/cabinet%202015%20open.jpg

Neat!

Most of the properties, here, are surrounded by "privacy walls".
They resemble cinderblock but they are thinner (front to back).
Periodically, there are "pillars" made of "H blocks" (look like
an H when viewed from above; the "thinner" blocks previously mentioned
fit into the "slots" in the H).

The pillars tend to be located every ~10 feet but there is often
variation (lots aren't always regularly shaped, either!).

One neighbor had fashioned a hinged door -- five feet high and
3 or 4 feet wide -- *in* the wall made to resemble the same
blocks that the wall was fashioned of. I'd always dismissed
the area as just "two H pillars that happened to be located
close together" -- until, one day, seeing it *open*!

When I next encounter it as such, I will examine it more
carefully to see if it truly was fashioned of the same 3"
thick, 8x16 "cinder blocks" or if there's some hackery
involved.

You put down expanded metal stucco lath, mortar it and stick on the
stone like you would do tile. I like "flex" mortar because it really
sticks. Then use a wet tooth brush to remove any mortar that squeezes
out. That usually means you used too much mortar.

Again, you're fitting individual "stones" (that are presumably very "thin",
front to back)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2016 11:38 AM, SeaNymph wrote:
Seems that everything in this house is maple, the floors, the cabinets, the
window frames. There is a lot of maple in this house and that's the way it was
when we bought it. The walls are painted in nice, rich colors and while that
helps, it's not enough, imo.

Be thankful. Here, most interiors are textured wallboard, ceramic/saltillo
tile floors and cabinets that don't seem to "fit" with the rest of the decor.

We opted to go with hickory (though I much prefer aged knotty pine or
maple -- but not birdseye) throughout the house -- so you are reminded
of it instead of just encountering it in the kitchen. Tries to counter the
"stoney" aspect of the stucco, textured walls, etc.

Currently deciding if we want to surround the rooms with hickory crown
and/or replace the drywall corners with hickory 2x2's.

We've already changed the countertops and the downstairs wood stove surround is
next.

Removing the beehive fireplace will be the next interior "project";
before I lay the tile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2016 2:33 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

That is exactly what I have around the wood stove downstairs, except for
the colorc and I still hate it g

It's called stacked stone around here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2016 2:49 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

My husband does wood working as a hobby and I'm a big fan of natural
wood. That being said, it's rather overwhelming sometimes. The maple
is not birdseye and it's beautiful wood. But a little more contract is
what I'm looking for.

This house has no drywall "corners". It was one of the first things I
noticed and I would imagine few people notice that sort of thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 01:42:26 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/16/2016 6:37 PM, wrote:
[...]

The Eldorodo type "cultured stone" can be had in panels but it is
pretty easy to see it is not stone and your sun may fade it pretty
fast.

[...]

These stones vary from an inch to an inch and a half thick but I
actually have a mix of 2 different styles here because we wanted a lot
of variation. It is all basically the same stone though. We have
similar stone (flagging) on the patio and front porch too so it
carries all the way through the house. It is a quartzite quarried from
the Rockies, up the road from you. (Colorado,Wyoming Idaho is loaded
with it). We have picked up pieces that are a perfect match hiking.

I suggest you find a good stone yard around there and walk around. If
you are like us and like stone, it can be addicting tho. We are in a
state with pretty much no natively occurring rock and our house looks
like a Rocky Mountain CCC project. It is all stone and wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2016 6:27 AM, SeaNymph wrote:
On 2/18/2016 2:49 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I grew up with a "country kitchen" (knotty pine cabinets and wainscotting),
mahogany tongue-groove paneled living room (ditto for the full basement),
natural finish on all interior doors, stained wood trim around wooden
windows, hardwood floors, etc. It's a much warmer feeling than the
tile and (white) textured drywall + ceiling, here.

However, different architectural style (and different building techniques)
makes it hard to effect many changes.

E.g., frontier style home means roof is ceiling. Roof, of course, can't be
"flat" as it needs SOME pitch to prevent ponding. That translates to ceilings
not being "flat" (parallel to ground).

As a result, anything you put up near the ceiling highlights the fact that
it is not flat!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2016 1:26 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 00:35:07 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/17/2016 11:56 PM,
wrote:
[...]

That's a big and heavy unit! I didn't realize it was portable until you
mentioned it here. I missed that in your previous posts.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 10:48:23 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

As I said, the whole thing is on wheels so I can roll it out into the
room to rewire. With all of that stone the center segment weighs about
500-600 pounds but I have six "office machine" caster sets on it so it
rolls pretty easy. The book case on the left rolls too. The one on
the right is fixed, since there wasn't really anywhere for it to roll
anyway. It also has drawers instead of sliding panels (again nowhere
to slide) and if it wasn't fastened to the wall the weight of the
stone faced drawers would pull it over, even if they were empty.
When everything is closed up, the stone fits tight enough that most
people don't even realize it will open up.

That's a big and heavy unit! I didn't realize it was portable until you
mentioned it here. I missed that in your previous posts.

The entertainment center we had before was fixed and wiring was a real
nightmare. Being able to roll it out and get to the back makes it a
lot easier to connect things and maintaining good wire management is
easy. I have lots of those velcro straps in the back so I can tie
everything up neatly.
That fake chimney also acts as a wire chase to get the things coming
from and going to other places easy. (through the attic)
It also gave me an interesting tunnel for the train.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I saw the chimney, but where's the train? What gauge is it?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2016 8:59 AM, wrote:

The Eldorodo type "cultured stone" can be had in panels but it is
pretty easy to see it is not stone and your sun may fade it pretty
fast.

The two places are probably the ONLY two places that are guaranteed
to be in perpetual shade (both being porches with significant overhangs)

Again, you're fitting individual "stones" (that are presumably very "thin",
front to back)?

These stones vary from an inch to an inch and a half thick but I
actually have a mix of 2 different styles here because we wanted a lot
of variation. It is all basically the same stone though. We have
similar stone (flagging) on the patio and front porch too so it
carries all the way through the house. It is a quartzite quarried from
the Rockies, up the road from you. (Colorado,Wyoming Idaho is loaded
with it). We have picked up pieces that are a perfect match hiking.

The opposite is true, here -- I can't recall ever seeing a "wooden
shingled" house! Everything is slump block, cinder block, stucco
finish, stone-and-mortar, etc.

And, folks seem to think there is only *one* color -- that of
sun-bleached dirt!

[A neighbor had planned on painting their (stucco over frame) house blue.
Another neighbor, on hearing of this, promptly marched over and FORBADE
them from doing so. "It will lower the property values!" Really??
So, his brown, sadly in need of a paint-job home is BETTER for us
than *their* freshly painted blue??

It must have popped his cork to see other homes in the area getting
painted bright yellow, teal, purple, "metallic chocolate", etc.]

That was the appeal of the wood or fitted stone approach -- something
not quite as monotonous as the dreary stucco (that covers most of the
house, already).

I suggest you find a good stone yard around there and walk around. If
you are like us and like stone, it can be addicting tho. We are in a
state with pretty much no natively occurring rock and our house looks
like a Rocky Mountain CCC project. It is all stone and wood.

I'm just trying to see what options are available *before* putting
myself under the salesman's "spin operation". Always (IME) better to
have contrary arguments ready at hand to see how well (if at all) he
handles them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I forgot. I should ask what scale is it?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 12:10:50 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

That fake chimney also acts as a wire chase to get the things coming
from and going to other places easy. (through the attic)
It also gave me an interesting tunnel for the train.

I saw the chimney, but where's the train? What gauge is it?

It is a G gauge with narrow gauge rolling stock. I usually keep it
parked on the trestle across the dining room.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Trestle.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 11:23:41 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/18/2016 8:59 AM, wrote:

[...]

We have stucco over block for most of our houses, just because of the
wind code. You have to put so much steel in a stick built home, block
is cheaper.
My "village" has pretty much decreed that baby poop beige is the
standard here but my neighbors have all sorts of different colors on
their house.
The first guy to break from the earth tones is a Mexican guy who went
with school bus yellow and once people understood that there are other
colors in the box, we see blues, greens and soft purples.
(sorry if I am not real good on the real colors, my crayon box only
had 7)

I suggest you find a good stone yard around there and walk around. If
you are like us and like stone, it can be addicting tho. We are in a
state with pretty much no natively occurring rock and our house looks
like a Rocky Mountain CCC project. It is all stone and wood.

I'm just trying to see what options are available *before* putting
myself under the salesman's "spin operation". Always (IME) better to
have contrary arguments ready at hand to see how well (if at all) he
handles them.

I kicked rocks around at my stone yard for months before I bought the
first batch. Those guys are pretty easy to get along with, at least
here. They will usually give you a handful to take home and play with.
They are only about a quarter a pound so you really can't carry away
any significant amount, money wise.
We did zero in on the quartzite pretty fast once we got serious about
it, then it was just the color (silver or gold).
This stuff in flagging seems to be the perfect pool deck. It has
enough texture to be safe when wet but still easy on your feet and it
is totally maintenance free. We hose it off now and then but that is
about it.

It is a little labor intensive laying them but the time consuming part
is doing the puzzle. We always end up playing with rocks for days
deciding which one goes where. It is sort of fun tho.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/rocks4.jpg
Then you mud them in.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/addi...0them%20in.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

That fake chimney also acts as a wire chase to get the things coming
from and going to other places easy. (through the attic)
It also gave me an interesting tunnel for the train.

I saw the chimney, but where's the train? What gauge is it?

It is a G gauge with narrow gauge rolling stock. I usually keep it
parked on the trestle across the dining room.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Trestle.jpg

Nice! I have a tiny N - gauge. My grand kids played with it and now
the little engine has quit running. I'm thinking if I get another one
it'd be a bigger scale. I like he old wood burning (look) engines, too,
similar to the one you've got. I just can't see the tiny wheels of the
N gauge like I used to.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2016 2:04 PM, wrote:
It must have popped his cork to see other homes in the area getting
painted bright yellow, teal, purple, "metallic chocolate", etc.]

That was the appeal of the wood or fitted stone approach -- something
not quite as monotonous as the dreary stucco (that covers most of the
house, already).

We have stucco over block for most of our houses, just because of the
wind code. You have to put so much steel in a stick built home, block
is cheaper.

Hurricanes?

My "village" has pretty much decreed that baby poop beige is the
standard here but my neighbors have all sorts of different colors on
their house.

Many HOA's, here, are mandatory and impose covenants on residents.
Some of those make sense (keep up appearance, etc.). Others are
just overzealous attempts at control.

The first guy to break from the earth tones is a Mexican guy who went
with school bus yellow and once people understood that there are other
colors in the box, we see blues, greens and soft purples.
(sorry if I am not real good on the real colors, my crayon box only
had 7)

Here, most of the "non beige" homes are the most attractive. I.e.,
the owners were actually thoughtful about the appearance and it
is reflected not just by the house color but lawn adornments,
upkeep, etc. The beige/brown homes are more likely to look like
they are in need of some attention!

I suggest you find a good stone yard around there and walk around. If
you are like us and like stone, it can be addicting tho. We are in a
state with pretty much no natively occurring rock and our house looks
like a Rocky Mountain CCC project. It is all stone and wood.

I'm just trying to see what options are available *before* putting
myself under the salesman's "spin operation". Always (IME) better to
have contrary arguments ready at hand to see how well (if at all) he
handles them.

I kicked rocks around at my stone yard for months before I bought the
first batch. Those guys are pretty easy to get along with, at least
here. They will usually give you a handful to take home and play with.
They are only about a quarter a pound so you really can't carry away
any significant amount, money wise.

We put in a decorative walk many years ago so went through the
experience. And, of course, selecting the "aggregate" for the
front and back yards.

But, walking on stone is different than selecting stone
PURELY for its decorative appeal (e.g., on a wall)

We did zero in on the quartzite pretty fast once we got serious about
it, then it was just the color (silver or gold).
This stuff in flagging seems to be the perfect pool deck. It has
enough texture to be safe when wet but still easy on your feet and it
is totally maintenance free. We hose it off now and then but that is
about it.

Pools here tend to have some form of cement (?) decking -- with drains
interspersed (to keep water from accumulating on top -- perhaps it just
drains to the soil beneath?).

We wanted a yard (less maintenance?) but have considered an "infinite
pool" (a spa seems to be a total waste of space -- giant bathtub?)

But, then we're back to yet another maintenance issue...

It is a little labor intensive laying them but the time consuming part
is doing the puzzle. We always end up playing with rocks for days
deciding which one goes where. It is sort of fun tho.

Are they somewhat standardized shapes -- i.e., to limit the number of
possibilities that you'd have to address?

E.g., if they were just random/natural stones (size/shape), you could
see yourself getting into a situation where you needed a 3" stone
but only had 4's and 2's (silly example). OTOH, if they are all
4, 8 and 12 inches, then you really can't create a "void" that
also isn't 4, 8 or 12 inches! (ignoring, for the moment, the boundary
conditions)

Said another way, is it truly a puzzle (like a store bought puzzle!)
or more like a *chore* (just some motions that you have to go through
but you KNOW there WILL be a solution)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 09:47:53 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/18/2016 2:04 PM, wrote:
It must have popped his cork to see other homes in the area getting
painted bright yellow, teal, purple, "metallic chocolate", etc.]

That was the appeal of the wood or fitted stone approach -- something
not quite as monotonous as the dreary stucco (that covers most of the
house, already).

We have stucco over block for most of our houses, just because of the
wind code. You have to put so much steel in a stick built home, block
is cheaper.

Hurricanes?

Yes we are in the 150 MPH wind code zone.

My "village" has pretty much decreed that baby poop beige is the
standard here but my neighbors have all sorts of different colors on
their house.

Many HOA's, here, are mandatory and impose covenants on residents.
Some of those make sense (keep up appearance, etc.). Others are
just overzealous attempts at control.

Our HOA deed restrictions "sunset" over 30 years ago and any attempt
to reinstate them has gone down decisively (last time it was 44-14 for
"no"). We operate as a voluntary non-profit corporation and usually
still get 90% participation on the dues. Disputes are dealt with using
friendly negotiation and not threats. It seems to work as well as the
coercive operations.

[...]

This is basically the same stone but the walking surfaces are the flat
side of the grain and the vertical surfaces are the end grain.

We did zero in on the quartzite pretty fast once we got serious about
it, then it was just the color (silver or gold).
This stuff in flagging seems to be the perfect pool deck. It has
enough texture to be safe when wet but still easy on your feet and it
is totally maintenance free. We hose it off now and then but that is
about it.

Pools here tend to have some form of cement (?) decking -- with drains
interspersed (to keep water from accumulating on top -- perhaps it just
drains to the soil beneath?).

That "Deco drain" is supposed to route the water away from the slab.
They are closed on the bottom.
You may get away with draining directly into the soil out there but
if you do it here you will end up with a sink hole under the slab.
Drainage here is done with grading. The pool deck pitches down away
from the pool. I have pieces of deco drain here but they are mostly
decorative, just to break new sections from the older ones. The 2000+
square feet of stone deck evolved over the years. We keep adding on.
I imagine some water does go in there and they do end off of the deck.

We wanted a yard (less maintenance?) but have considered an "infinite
pool" (a spa seems to be a total waste of space -- giant bathtub?)

But, then we're back to yet another maintenance issue...

My spa swaps water with the pool so the maintenance is negligible. We
don't heat it in the summer and when we do the solars do most of the
heavy lifting.

It is a little labor intensive laying them but the time consuming part
is doing the puzzle. We always end up playing with rocks for days
deciding which one goes where. It is sort of fun tho.

Are they somewhat standardized shapes -- i.e., to limit the number of
possibilities that you'd have to address?

Not at all. This is natural stone and they just break it up into
manageable chunks. Occasionally I will score the back side and make
the rock I need but that is only when we are scraping the bottom of
the barrel. Usually you can put a pattern together that works with
existing stone. It is time consuming but we usually start laying them
out and then spend a week or so just walking by and playing with the
rocks for a while then doing something else. When we get a pattern we
like we mud them in. The sections we got in a hurry with, look like
it. After a while you do get a pretty good eye for it. Like most
homeowner projects, about the time you are done, you are getting
pretty good. I am still not sure we are done tho. Every time we stop,
my wife says, "you know ..." and I am building something else. ;-)

E.g., if they were just random/natural stones (size/shape), you could
see yourself getting into a situation where you needed a 3" stone
but only had 4's and 2's (silly example). OTOH, if they are all
4, 8 and 12 inches, then you really can't create a "void" that
also isn't 4, 8 or 12 inches! (ignoring, for the moment, the boundary
conditions)

Said another way, is it truly a puzzle (like a store bought puzzle!)
or more like a *chore* (just some motions that you have to go through
but you KNOW there WILL be a solution)

Exactly. It gets to be a Zen thing. As I said. you do develop an eye
for it. You definitely want to do the puzzle before you start mixing
mortar.
If you use the diamond cut stones, they do tend to be regular heights.
The split stones are just that, split wherever the grain in the rock
goes. It does make a more pleasing wall when you are done tho.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2016 10:33 AM, wrote:
My "village" has pretty much decreed that baby poop beige is the
standard here but my neighbors have all sorts of different colors on
their house.

Many HOA's, here, are mandatory and impose covenants on residents.
Some of those make sense (keep up appearance, etc.). Others are
just overzealous attempts at control.

Our HOA deed restrictions "sunset" over 30 years ago and any attempt
to reinstate them has gone down decisively (last time it was 44-14 for
"no"). We operate as a voluntary non-profit corporation and usually
still get 90% participation on the dues. Disputes are dealt with using
friendly negotiation and not threats. It seems to work as well as the
coercive operations.

Our HOA is "voluntary participation". So, the only way to "enforce"
any notion of consistency is personal intimidation. I.e., same neighbor
who intimidated other neighbor NOT to paint "blue" was unsuccessful
in "convincing" neighbor on the other side of him to not paint
*teal* (blue-green).
"If you want my house to be painted beige, you can BUY IT from me
and paint it as you like!"

Pools here tend to have some form of cement (?) decking -- with drains
interspersed (to keep water from accumulating on top -- perhaps it just
drains to the soil beneath?).

That "Deco drain" is supposed to route the water away from the slab.
They are closed on the bottom.

So, it's effectively a *pipe*? (trough)

You may get away with draining directly into the soil out there but
if you do it here you will end up with a sink hole under the slab.
Drainage here is done with grading. The pool deck pitches down away
from the pool. I have pieces of deco drain here but they are mostly
decorative, just to break new sections from the older ones. The 2000+
square feet of stone deck evolved over the years. We keep adding on.
I imagine some water does go in there and they do end off of the deck.

Lots here are small -- often just 1/3 ac. Put in a front yard
(and driveway) and a decent size pool out back and there's little
room for anything else!

Folks behind me have maybe 150-200 sq ft of "lawn" and the rest is
pool.

We wanted a yard (less maintenance?) but have considered an "infinite
pool" (a spa seems to be a total waste of space -- giant bathtub?)

But, then we're back to yet another maintenance issue...

My spa swaps water with the pool so the maintenance is negligible. We
don't heat it in the summer and when we do the solars do most of the
heavy lifting.

It's more than just treating the water (pools go green REALLY fast,
here -- mosquito hazzard -- city fine). As lots are small and
most of the trees generate lots of litter -- palms, mesquite
(millions of little leaflets the size of a grain of wild rice),
pine needles, etc. -- so you're always fishing stuff out of the
pool.

[One neighbor had to fish a palm *tree* out of his! Hint: they are
very heavy when they've had a chance to sit *in* water!]

[...]

Wow, that seems like a LOT of work! E.g., each porch would be a couple
hundred feet of wall space. Back porch would be the worst, by far, as it
has lots of window openings into it that would essentially act as
"border multipliers" (where adjoining stones would have to "fit perfectly")

E.g., if they were just random/natural stones (size/shape), you could
see yourself getting into a situation where you needed a 3" stone
but only had 4's and 2's (silly example). OTOH, if they are all
4, 8 and 12 inches, then you really can't create a "void" that
also isn't 4, 8 or 12 inches! (ignoring, for the moment, the boundary
conditions)

Said another way, is it truly a puzzle (like a store bought puzzle!)
or more like a *chore* (just some motions that you have to go through
but you KNOW there WILL be a solution)

Exactly. It gets to be a Zen thing. As I said. you do develop an eye
for it. You definitely want to do the puzzle before you start mixing
mortar.

That's how I did the walkway -- laid everything in place before setting
them properly. End up with pieces that you can't use (that find homes
as singletons elsewhere in the yard -- e.g., under water faucets)

If you use the diamond cut stones, they do tend to be regular heights.
The split stones are just that, split wherever the grain in the rock
goes. It does make a more pleasing wall when you are done tho.

There's a new building going up a couple miles from here -- which is
what gave me the idea. I will see if I can get a sympathetic workman
to let me onto the lot so I can inspect (and question!) up close...

Thx!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 11:26:25 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/19/2016 10:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

We got over the problem of what color you paint things a long time
ago. Basically all we try to stay on top of is the boat ramp and using
the park. The boat ramp is easy, If you screw up there too much, we
won't let you have a new key next year but it really has not been a
problem.

Pools here tend to have some form of cement (?) decking -- with drains
interspersed (to keep water from accumulating on top -- perhaps it just
drains to the soil beneath?).

That "Deco drain" is supposed to route the water away from the slab.
They are closed on the bottom.

So, it's effectively a *pipe*? (trough)

Yes it is 1.5" wide and 4" deep

This is the brand we see most of the time here.
http://www.advancedsurfaces.com/Engl...DeckDrain.html

You may get away with draining directly into the soil out there but
if you do it here you will end up with a sink hole under the slab.
Drainage here is done with grading. The pool deck pitches down away
from the pool. I have pieces of deco drain here but they are mostly
decorative, just to break new sections from the older ones. The 2000+
square feet of stone deck evolved over the years. We keep adding on.
I imagine some water does go in there and they do end off of the deck.

Lots here are small -- often just 1/3 ac. Put in a front yard
(and driveway) and a decent size pool out back and there's little
room for anything else!

Folks behind me have maybe 150-200 sq ft of "lawn" and the rest is
pool.

I have a tad over a 1/3d of an acre but I also have functional use of
the FPL right of way behind me, the DOT right of way in front and a
quarter of an acre of HOA property next to me.
That is still a lot of grass to mow. We are running out of land we can
actually build on tho.

We wanted a yard (less maintenance?) but have considered an "infinite
pool" (a spa seems to be a total waste of space -- giant bathtub?)

But, then we're back to yet another maintenance issue...

My spa swaps water with the pool so the maintenance is negligible. We
don't heat it in the summer and when we do the solars do most of the
heavy lifting.

It's more than just treating the water (pools go green REALLY fast,
here -- mosquito hazzard -- city fine). As lots are small and
most of the trees generate lots of litter -- palms, mesquite
(millions of little leaflets the size of a grain of wild rice),
pine needles, etc. -- so you're always fishing stuff out of the
pool.

Pools here are pretty much always "caged". I have 2300 sq/ft under
screen. That eliminates most of the leaf and bug problems.

[One neighbor had to fish a palm *tree* out of his! Hint: they are
very heavy when they've had a chance to sit *in* water!]

I fish them out of the river now and them.

[...]

If you use the man made product it does go up easier because they are
basically Lego blocks, (regular sizes). The diamond cut are similar
except for length. They come in multiples of a given dimension. That
is truly stacking stone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2016 12:10 PM, wrote:
Our HOA is "voluntary participation". So, the only way to "enforce"
any notion of consistency is personal intimidation. I.e., same neighbor
who intimidated other neighbor NOT to paint "blue" was unsuccessful
in "convincing" neighbor on the other side of him to not paint
*teal* (blue-green).
"If you want my house to be painted beige, you can BUY IT from me
and paint it as you like!"

We got over the problem of what color you paint things a long time
ago. Basically all we try to stay on top of is the boat ramp and using
the park. The boat ramp is easy, If you screw up there too much, we
won't let you have a new key next year but it really has not been a
problem.

There's nothing *practical* that the HOA *or* local residents can
do -- other than try intimidation (as in the case of the "blue"
neighbor). We're not a gated community, have no clubhouse nor
any other "shared resources".

They can hassle you (as anyone can) about violations of city
ordinances (they *love* to **** and moan about "weeds"). But,
you *should* be in compliance with those, regardless.

Pools here tend to have some form of cement (?) decking -- with drains
interspersed (to keep water from accumulating on top -- perhaps it just
drains to the soil beneath?).

That "Deco drain" is supposed to route the water away from the slab.
They are closed on the bottom.

So, it's effectively a *pipe*? (trough)

Yes it is 1.5" wide and 4" deep

This is the brand we see most of the time here.
http://www.advancedsurfaces.com/Engl...DeckDrain.html

Oh. So, the neighbors' must drain "somewhere". No evidence of
that...

[...]

When we moved in, we considered:
- yard
- pool
- spa
and ruled out the spa and pool on maintenance grounds (both would have
been a nightmare given the 60+ ft pines behind us -- we find pine needles
in our *front* yard!).

However, we hadn't realized how much "maintenance" the *planted* yard
would be! After felling all the trees on the property (litter, allergies,
etc.) we opted for a more "lush" environment (40 and 50 foot trees
just look like a *pole* in the yard) with large shrubs (10-15 ft tall)
around the perimeter.

We've been through several iterations as we've discovered the drawbacks
of various species *empirically*. Some terrible for litter; others
bad for reseeding prolificly; still others poisonous to the dogs; etc.

The roses that we *had* to have lasted a few years before SHE got tired
of maintaining them ("OK, I'll plant them but *you* have to take care
of them!").

But, the rest of the plantings have proven inviting for the hummingbirds
(and other birds, unfortunately) so we scored on that count.

[I should have adopted the same criteria with the citrus as *I* don't
eat the stuff -- yet seem to bear the brunt of the maintenance efforts;
presently juicing 2G each day and will continue to do so for at least
another week -- then pick the remaining fruit so the blossoms won't
have competition]

We wanted a yard (less maintenance?) but have considered an "infinite
pool" (a spa seems to be a total waste of space -- giant bathtub?)

But, then we're back to yet another maintenance issue...

My spa swaps water with the pool so the maintenance is negligible. We
don't heat it in the summer and when we do the solars do most of the
heavy lifting.

It's more than just treating the water (pools go green REALLY fast,
here -- mosquito hazzard -- city fine). As lots are small and
most of the trees generate lots of litter -- palms, mesquite
(millions of little leaflets the size of a grain of wild rice),
pine needles, etc. -- so you're always fishing stuff out of the
pool.

Pools here are pretty much always "caged". I have 2300 sq/ft under
screen. That eliminates most of the leaf and bug problems.

I had a friend in chicago with his pool indoors. Interesting
"option" -- though cost a bundle to keep it and the "room"
heated in the winter!

If you use the diamond cut stones, they do tend to be regular heights.
The split stones are just that, split wherever the grain in the rock
goes. It does make a more pleasing wall when you are done tho.

There's a new building going up a couple miles from here -- which is
what gave me the idea. I will see if I can get a sympathetic workman
to let me onto the lot so I can inspect (and question!) up close...

Thx!

If you use the man made product it does go up easier because they are
basically Lego blocks, (regular sizes). The diamond cut are similar
except for length. They come in multiples of a given dimension. That
is truly stacking stone.

From a cursory examination of this particular product, I can't discern
any "regular pattern" -- regardless of how large a section I choose to
examine. I will have to stop by when there are workmen on the jobsite
and see if any can fill me in on how it went up (reasonably quickly;
but, I wasn't noticing it WHILE it was going up) and what it's called.

Time to pick another 30# to juice tomorrow...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 01:18:00 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/19/2016 12:10 PM, wrote:
[...]

The county won't step in here until the weeds/grass or whatever is
over 18" over a certain percentage of the lot but if the lot is
vacant, foreclosed or whatever the HOA would mow it before it ever got
that bad. The people who live here are pretty good about mowing before
it really gets bad.
If you don't irrigate and do the chemical thing, most people would
call our lawns weeds anyway. In the rainy season it is bahia grass and
in the winter it is these little white flowers. Sort of looks like a
dusting of snow.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/light%20dusting.jpg

Pools here tend to have some form of cement (?) decking -- with drains
interspersed (to keep water from accumulating on top -- perhaps it just
drains to the soil beneath?).

That "Deco drain" is supposed to route the water away from the slab.
They are closed on the bottom.

So, it's effectively a *pipe*? (trough)

Yes it is 1.5" wide and 4" deep

This is the brand we see most of the time here.
http://www.advancedsurfaces.com/Engl...DeckDrain.html

Oh. So, the neighbors' must drain "somewhere". No evidence of
that...

There us just going to be a small cut out on the edge of the slab

From a cursory examination of this particular product, I can't discern
any "regular pattern" -- regardless of how large a section I choose to
examine. I will have to stop by when there are workmen on the jobsite
and see if any can fill me in on how it went up (reasonably quickly;
but, I wasn't noticing it WHILE it was going up) and what it's called.

The "regular" part is the height of the stones, usually 3 sizes that
are multiples of the smallest one. It allows you to mix them up and
make it look random.

Time to pick another 30# to juice tomorrow...

We had 40 fruit trees here of various varieties, they are all gone
now. I don't miss them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/20/2016 11:14 AM, wrote:
They can hassle you (as anyone can) about violations of city
ordinances (they *love* to **** and moan about "weeds"). But,
you *should* be in compliance with those, regardless.

The county won't step in here until the weeds/grass or whatever is
over 18" over a certain percentage of the lot but if the lot is
vacant, foreclosed or whatever the HOA would mow it before it ever got
that bad. The people who live here are pretty good about mowing before
it really gets bad.

Few folks have "grass" as grass needs to be watered.
The city will promptly notify you if a complaint is brought
to their attention (though they don't go out checking neighborhoods
LOOKING for violations). After 10 days, you can be fined
(no idea as to the amount).

From a cursory examination of this particular product, I can't discern
any "regular pattern" -- regardless of how large a section I choose to
examine. I will have to stop by when there are workmen on the jobsite
and see if any can fill me in on how it went up (reasonably quickly;
but, I wasn't noticing it WHILE it was going up) and what it's called.

The "regular" part is the height of the stones, usually 3 sizes that
are multiples of the smallest one. It allows you to mix them up and
make it look random.

Then how do you accommodate a "large and fat" stone in the middle of
the pattern?

Time to pick another 30# to juice tomorrow...

We had 40 fruit trees here of various varieties, they are all gone
now. I don't miss them

I wouldn't miss these! (though I *do* miss the blood orange; it's
juice was heavenly!)

But, SWMBO likes her oranges and her OJ. (truth be told, I much prefer
our *sweet* lemon juice in my tea than the store bought *sour* stuff!).
We didn't hesitate to get rid of the peach or the pecan. And, when
the Valencia gets whacked (cold spell), I'll be happy to pull it out
(and plant a blood orange in its place).

Unfortunately, big crop this year -- I've even started juicing the *navels*
(disgustingly sweet) -- and the freezer is already pretty full with other
items. In the past, the navels came due earlier than the Valencias...
which came due earlier than the blood oranges. But, winters have been
getting less severe and the trees want to get started on the *next* crop
sooner (the oranges are just starting to blossom; lemon has been
setting out blossoms all winter; lime already has small *fruit*!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 14:47:54 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/20/2016 11:14 AM, wrote:
They can hassle you (as anyone can) about violations of city
ordinances (they *love* to **** and moan about "weeds"). But,
you *should* be in compliance with those, regardless.

The county won't step in here until the weeds/grass or whatever is
over 18" over a certain percentage of the lot but if the lot is
vacant, foreclosed or whatever the HOA would mow it before it ever got
that bad. The people who live here are pretty good about mowing before
it really gets bad.

Few folks have "grass" as grass needs to be watered.
The city will promptly notify you if a complaint is brought
to their attention (though they don't go out checking neighborhoods
LOOKING for violations). After 10 days, you can be fined
(no idea as to the amount).

We can have grass about 8-9 months a year on rain and if you want to
be responsible you grow something that will come back after it turns
brown for a while, bahia aka median strip grass

From a cursory examination of this particular product, I can't discern
any "regular pattern" -- regardless of how large a section I choose to
examine. I will have to stop by when there are workmen on the jobsite
and see if any can fill me in on how it went up (reasonably quickly;
but, I wasn't noticing it WHILE it was going up) and what it's called.

The "regular" part is the height of the stones, usually 3 sizes that
are multiples of the smallest one. It allows you to mix them up and
make it look random.

Then how do you accommodate a "large and fat" stone in the middle of
the pattern?

we are not using many diamond cut rocks. This is a mix to try to look
like loose stone masonry. Way more than half are just split and we
tried to mix it up

[...]

There is a guy up the street who sells them cheaper than maintaining
the trees