Posted to alt.home.repair
SeaNymph SeaNymph is offline

Default (dry) "Fitted stone" facades

On 2/18/2016 2:33 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 2/18/2016 12:39 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 2/16/2016 5:11 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

Yet another option (my favorite) is a fitted stone facade.
But, the sort where there are no grout lines -- just very
tightly fitted stones (the stones having shapes similar
to *bricks* -- of various sizes). I.e., the wall feels
almost flat -- but rough.

A cursory look at these sorts of walls (usually on commercial
establishments, not residences) *suggests* that they are individual
stones and someone just was incredibly patient/lucky to manage
to ALWAYS find "just the right stone" for the odd shape that
needed to be filled.

Can anyone confirm that they are, in fact, sold as "assemblies"?
That I don't have to budget weeks of time to precisely fitting
a gazillion little rectangular blocks?

And, as there appears to be no mortar (between "courses"),
how they are attached to the structure?

Are you talking about stacked stone? I'm not really clear what you're
referring to. Got a link or some picture?

No. There are a few commercial establishments in town that
use the stuff in which I'm interested. I will have to take a
camera and snap some closeups (anything from a distance wouldn't
show the closeness of fit)

Some time with google turned up this:
http://southwestblock.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Stacked_Stone_1271348324.jpg

Not exactly what I was describing but illustrates the key aspects:
- "stones" are not uniform in size/shape (i.e., doesn't look like bricks!)
- they are roughly the same color (unlike some that are multicolored)
- the surface is somewhat flat (no big indents or protrusions)
- stones fit together *tight*
- no grout/mortar lines evident
- any "pattern" is difficult to discern (the suggestion that this
was pieced together from individual, unique stones and not
cookie cutter)

That is exactly what I have around the wood stove downstairs, except for
the colorc and I still hate it g

It's called stacked stone around here.