Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (dry) "Fitted stone" facades

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 01:18:00 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/19/2016 12:10 PM, wrote:
Our HOA is "voluntary participation". So, the only way to "enforce"
any notion of consistency is personal intimidation. I.e., same neighbor
who intimidated other neighbor NOT to paint "blue" was unsuccessful
in "convincing" neighbor on the other side of him to not paint
*teal* (blue-green).
"If you want my house to be painted beige, you can BUY IT from me
and paint it as you like!"

We got over the problem of what color you paint things a long time
ago. Basically all we try to stay on top of is the boat ramp and using
the park. The boat ramp is easy, If you screw up there too much, we
won't let you have a new key next year but it really has not been a
problem.

There's nothing *practical* that the HOA *or* local residents can
do -- other than try intimidation (as in the case of the "blue"
neighbor). We're not a gated community, have no clubhouse nor
any other "shared resources".

They can hassle you (as anyone can) about violations of city
ordinances (they *love* to **** and moan about "weeds"). But,
you *should* be in compliance with those, regardless.

The county won't step in here until the weeds/grass or whatever is
over 18" over a certain percentage of the lot but if the lot is
vacant, foreclosed or whatever the HOA would mow it before it ever got
that bad. The people who live here are pretty good about mowing before
it really gets bad.
If you don't irrigate and do the chemical thing, most people would
call our lawns weeds anyway. In the rainy season it is bahia grass and
in the winter it is these little white flowers. Sort of looks like a
dusting of snow.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/light%20dusting.jpg

Pools here tend to have some form of cement (?) decking -- with drains
interspersed (to keep water from accumulating on top -- perhaps it just
drains to the soil beneath?).

That "Deco drain" is supposed to route the water away from the slab.
They are closed on the bottom.

So, it's effectively a *pipe*? (trough)

Yes it is 1.5" wide and 4" deep

This is the brand we see most of the time here.
http://www.advancedsurfaces.com/Engl...DeckDrain.html

Oh. So, the neighbors' must drain "somewhere". No evidence of
that...

There us just going to be a small cut out on the edge of the slab

From a cursory examination of this particular product, I can't discern
any "regular pattern" -- regardless of how large a section I choose to
examine. I will have to stop by when there are workmen on the jobsite
and see if any can fill me in on how it went up (reasonably quickly;
but, I wasn't noticing it WHILE it was going up) and what it's called.

The "regular" part is the height of the stones, usually 3 sizes that
are multiples of the smallest one. It allows you to mix them up and
make it look random.

Time to pick another 30# to juice tomorrow...

We had 40 fruit trees here of various varieties, they are all gone
now. I don't miss them