Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default (dry) "Fitted stone" facades

On 2/18/2016 8:59 AM, wrote:

The Eldorodo type "cultured stone" can be had in panels but it is
pretty easy to see it is not stone and your sun may fade it pretty
fast.

The two places are probably the ONLY two places that are guaranteed
to be in perpetual shade (both being porches with significant overhangs)

Again, you're fitting individual "stones" (that are presumably very "thin",
front to back)?

These stones vary from an inch to an inch and a half thick but I
actually have a mix of 2 different styles here because we wanted a lot
of variation. It is all basically the same stone though. We have
similar stone (flagging) on the patio and front porch too so it
carries all the way through the house. It is a quartzite quarried from
the Rockies, up the road from you. (Colorado,Wyoming Idaho is loaded
with it). We have picked up pieces that are a perfect match hiking.

The opposite is true, here -- I can't recall ever seeing a "wooden
shingled" house! Everything is slump block, cinder block, stucco
finish, stone-and-mortar, etc.

And, folks seem to think there is only *one* color -- that of
sun-bleached dirt!

[A neighbor had planned on painting their (stucco over frame) house blue.
Another neighbor, on hearing of this, promptly marched over and FORBADE
them from doing so. "It will lower the property values!" Really??
So, his brown, sadly in need of a paint-job home is BETTER for us
than *their* freshly painted blue??

It must have popped his cork to see other homes in the area getting
painted bright yellow, teal, purple, "metallic chocolate", etc.]

That was the appeal of the wood or fitted stone approach -- something
not quite as monotonous as the dreary stucco (that covers most of the
house, already).

I suggest you find a good stone yard around there and walk around. If
you are like us and like stone, it can be addicting tho. We are in a
state with pretty much no natively occurring rock and our house looks
like a Rocky Mountain CCC project. It is all stone and wood.

I'm just trying to see what options are available *before* putting
myself under the salesman's "spin operation". Always (IME) better to
have contrary arguments ready at hand to see how well (if at all) he
handles them.