Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default (dry) "Fitted stone" facades

On 2/17/2016 11:38 AM, SeaNymph wrote:
Seems that everything in this house is maple, the floors, the cabinets, the
window frames. There is a lot of maple in this house and that's the way it was
when we bought it. The walls are painted in nice, rich colors and while that
helps, it's not enough, imo.

Be thankful. Here, most interiors are textured wallboard, ceramic/saltillo
tile floors and cabinets that don't seem to "fit" with the rest of the decor.

We opted to go with hickory (though I much prefer aged knotty pine or
maple -- but not birdseye) throughout the house -- so you are reminded
of it instead of just encountering it in the kitchen. Tries to counter the
"stoney" aspect of the stucco, textured walls, etc.

Currently deciding if we want to surround the rooms with hickory crown
and/or replace the drywall corners with hickory 2x2's.

We've already changed the countertops and the downstairs wood stove surround is
next.

Removing the beehive fireplace will be the next interior "project";
before I lay the tile.