Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cold weather adaptation around the house

Western NYS, USA is three degrees below
zero (Farenheit) today.

Wonder what all I can do about the cold?
Obvious answer is to stay home and turn
the heat up. I've got a towel acting as
a door snake, help keep the cold from
coming in under the door.

Only trace of snow, no snow moval today.
I guess I'll hope the utilities stay on.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Western NYS, USA is three degrees below
zero (Farenheit) today.

Wonder what all I can do about the cold?
Obvious answer is to stay home and turn
the heat up. I've got a towel acting as
a door snake, help keep the cold from
coming in under the door.

Only trace of snow, no snow moval today.
I guess I'll hope the utilities stay on.

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various sources of
heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those radiator oil
heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so much I bought
another one for the back part of the house.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 09:26:48 -0600, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Western NYS, USA is three degrees below
zero (Farenheit) today.

Wonder what all I can do about the cold?
Obvious answer is to stay home and turn
the heat up. I've got a towel acting as
a door snake, help keep the cold from
coming in under the door.

Only trace of snow, no snow moval today.
I guess I'll hope the utilities stay on.

People in farm country would put plastic over the windows
and stack some straw bales around the houses years ago. The
fortunate ones had a good windbreak north and west of their houses.
It was also nicer if the outhouse door wasn't on the north or west
side of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 10:18:25 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/13/2016 9:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Western NYS, USA is three degrees below
zero (Farenheit) today.

Wonder what all I can do about the cold?
Obvious answer is to stay home and turn
the heat up. I've got a towel acting as
a door snake, help keep the cold from
coming in under the door.

Only trace of snow, no snow moval today.
I guess I'll hope the utilities stay on.

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various sources of
heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those radiator oil
heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so much I bought
another one for the back part of the house.

If it gets any colder, we may close the windows. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Stormin Mormon:
Wonder what all I can do about the cold?
Obvious answer is to stay home and turn
the heat up.

That is what I have been doing at night.

But now I am thinking "Electric Blanket".... on the assumption that
100-150 watts of electric blanket is cheaper than raising the temp of
half the house.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On 2/13/2016 9:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Western NYS, USA is three degrees below
zero (Farenheit) today.

Wonder what all I can do about the cold?
Obvious answer is to stay home and turn
the heat up. I've got a towel acting as
a door snake, help keep the cold from
coming in under the door.

Only trace of snow, no snow moval today.
I guess I'll hope the utilities stay on.

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various sources of
heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those radiator oil
heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so much I bought
another one for the back part of the house.

Why don't you have an energy audit done? Then you'll know why and what
to do about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
On 2/13/2016 9:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Western NYS, USA is three degrees below
zero (Farenheit) today.

Wonder what all I can do about the cold?
Obvious answer is to stay home and turn
the heat up. I've got a towel acting as
a door snake, help keep the cold from
coming in under the door.

Only trace of snow, no snow moval today.
I guess I'll hope the utilities stay on.

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various
sources of heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those
radiator oil heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so
much I bought another one for the back part of the house.

Why don't you have an energy audit done? Then you'll know why and what
to do about it.

He already knows why - it's a mobile home with 2" thick walls and no
insulation . Has aluminum windows that are single glazed and have no thermal
break and also let air infiltrate . Also has a poorly fitting doors if he
has to use a towel as a door snake .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 1:03 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Stormin Mormon:
Wonder what all I can do about the cold?
Obvious answer is to stay home and turn
the heat up.

That is what I have been doing at night.

But now I am thinking "Electric Blanket".... on the assumption that
100-150 watts of electric blanket is cheaper than raising the temp of
half the house.

I suspect you are correct, the warm bed
is cheaper than the warm house. As for me,
another blanket helps, during the winter
months.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On 2/13/2016 9:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Western NYS, USA is three degrees below
zero (Farenheit) today.

Wonder what all I can do about the cold?
Obvious answer is to stay home and turn
the heat up. I've got a towel acting as
a door snake, help keep the cold from
coming in under the door.

Only trace of snow, no snow moval today.
I guess I'll hope the utilities stay on.

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various sources
of heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those radiator oil
heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so much I bought
another one for the back part of the house.

I just toss another log on the fire and open the inlet air damper a bit .
Right now it's in the high 30's and I've got the stove turned all the way
down and a couple of windows cracked so it doesn't get too warm ... this
stove is way oversized for our current space . Sized it for the final
structure , about 4X the current floor space .

--
Snag
And we don't care if the utilities go off , if we need 'lectric I just fire

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
Muggles wrote:
[...]

My first house built in the '70s had wood burning fire place I retrofit
to natural gas burning. This house has 2 fire places direct vented gas
burning, even cabin I am going out today(family day long week end) has
same gas fire place. No more stacking/splitting wood,LOL.

Sounds like 5th wheel trailer I used to have for camping was better
insulated. I could go winter camping and it was comfy inside.
Cold in winter, then hot in summer as well...... Worried about more bugs
in coming summer here because we are having such a mild winter. High
temperature record set in 1926 is broken now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 1:20 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various
sources of heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those
radiator oil heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so
much I bought another one for the back part of the house.

Why don't you have an energy audit done? Then you'll know why and what
to do about it.

He already knows why - it's a mobile home with 2" thick walls and no
insulation . Has aluminum windows that are single glazed and have no thermal
break and also let air infiltrate . Also has a poorly fitting doors if he
has to use a towel as a door snake .

I thought Muggles was female? Oh, maybe I'm
mistaken. Sorry, Mr. Muggles.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 12:09 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
On 2/13/2016 9:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Western NYS, USA is three degrees below
zero (Farenheit) today.

Wonder what all I can do about the cold?
Obvious answer is to stay home and turn
the heat up. I've got a towel acting as
a door snake, help keep the cold from
coming in under the door.

Only trace of snow, no snow moval today.
I guess I'll hope the utilities stay on.

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various sources of
heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those radiator oil
heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so much I bought
another one for the back part of the house.

Why don't you have an energy audit done? Then you'll know why and what
to do about it.

Right now we know the house needs more and better insulation, but have
to make due with what we can actually afford. We'd have to do some
major insulating and wall repairing to add more insulation, and can't
afford it right now.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 12:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Muggles wrote:
[...]

It has to get pretty cold for us to fire up the wood stove because the
thing puts out more heat than we really need.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various
sources of heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those
radiator oil heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so
much I bought another one for the back part of the house.

Why don't you have an energy audit done? Then you'll know why and what
to do about it.

He already knows why - it's a mobile home with 2" thick walls and no
insulation . Has aluminum windows that are single glazed and have no
thermal
break and also let air infiltrate . Also has a poorly fitting doors if he
has to use a towel as a door snake .

I thought Muggles was female? Oh, maybe I'm
mistaken. Sorry, Mr. Muggles.

Yes, I'm female. lol

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/13/2016 9:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Western NYS, USA is three degrees below
zero (Farenheit) today.

Wonder what all I can do about the cold?
Obvious answer is to stay home and turn
the heat up. I've got a towel acting as
a door snake, help keep the cold from
coming in under the door.

Only trace of snow, no snow moval today.
I guess I'll hope the utilities stay on.

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various sources of
heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those radiator oil
heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so much I bought
another one for the back part of the house.

Turning up the heat should not be required - the furnace will run
until the set temperature is reached - unless the thermostat is on the
sheltered side of the wall close to the heat sourse and the house is
so drafty that the rest of the house never gets warm...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 11:18 AM, Muggles wrote:

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various sources of
heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those radiator oil
heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so much I bought
another one for the back part of the house.

My Dad liked his oil filled radiator. I've always
been a fan forced heat kind of guy. But, I may
try oil filled, some day. Thank you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 11:21 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
People in farm country would put plastic over the windows
and stack some straw bales around the houses years ago. The
fortunate ones had a good windbreak north and west of their houses.
It was also nicer if the outhouse door wasn't on the north or west
side of it.

Both good idas. I've got some window plastic. I'm
sure the park would disapprove if I used hay bales.
This summer, a friend crawled under and found some
holes in the insullation. He was kind enough to call
out sizes for me. I cut pieces to shape, and slid
them in. Also handed in screws, drill drivers, washers,
etc. Hope that helps, it certainly must help.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We used to have a floor furnace, bit it died of old age. We replaced it
with a wall gas heater, so now 2 rooms have those. The heat is OK while
they are on, but just don't produce enough heat for the whole house.
The back bedroom has some electric baseboard heaters and a wood stove.
Again, not quite enough heat via the electric baseboard heaters, and
it's messy to use the wood stove unless it's gets cold enough to put up
with the mess, including, putting up with the occasional smoke while
building fires. That can really mess with my asthma, so it's a use when
we really need it kind of thing.

We've tried various kinds of space heaters, and none of them really kept
the house warm until we tried the oil radiator type on wheels. The brand
I researched had good reviews, too, and since we've been using them we
rarely get cold anymore. Best space heaters I've ever tried.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 2/13/2016 11:18 AM, Muggles wrote:

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various sources of
heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those radiator oil
heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so much I bought
another one for the back part of the house.

My Dad liked his oil filled radiator. I've always
been a fan forced heat kind of guy. But, I may
try oil filled, some day. Thank you.

I would like to be proven wrong, but I just do not see any advantage over
the oil filled heaters over the electric heaters that just have a heating
element and a fan blowing across them. Isn't electric heat just the same
either way and you are wasting the money on a more expensive heater ?
Anything that produces heat from elecrtricity is going to use the same
ammout of KWH to raise the room to the same temperature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various
sources of heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those
radiator oil heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it
so much I bought another one for the back part of the house.

Why don't you have an energy audit done? Then you'll know why and
what to do about it.

He already knows why - it's a mobile home with 2" thick walls
and no insulation . Has aluminum windows that are single glazed and
have no thermal
break and also let air infiltrate . Also has a poorly fitting doors
if he has to use a towel as a door snake .

I thought Muggles was female? Oh, maybe I'm
mistaken. Sorry, Mr. Muggles.

Yes, I'm female. lol

I was talking about YOU and YOUR POS living quarters Stormy .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 2:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/13/2016 11:18 AM, Muggles wrote:

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various sources of
heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those radiator oil
heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so much I bought
another one for the back part of the house.

My Dad liked his oil filled radiator. I've always
been a fan forced heat kind of guy. But, I may
try oil filled, some day. Thank you.

The 2 that I bought has great reviews. They have a thermostat and can
cycle between the heat settings and even turn itself off when temps are
reached, then turn itself back on and cycle through the heat settings again.

IOW, it'll heat up the oil in the radiator, turn itself off while it
radiates the heat, and when it cools down, it'll do it again. It's not
using power to heat all the time - only uses power to heat the oil and
when it's to temp it cycles off. Make sense?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 1:55 PM, Muggles wrote:

Right now we know the house needs more and better insulation, but have
to make due with what we can actually afford. We'd have to do some
major insulating and wall repairing to add more insulation, and can't
afford it right now.

I know the concept. Money for insullation?
No gots -- all the money is going to
utilities. You need money to save money.

I hope that works out for you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:

He already knows why - it's a mobile home with 2" thick walls and no

I thought Muggles was female? Oh, maybe I'm
mistaken. Sorry, Mr. Muggles.

Yes, I'm female. lol

Whew. At least I remembered one gender correctly.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

We have only one other choice , and heating the whole living space with the
propane furnace in the camper is not only hard on that furnace , costs a lot
for the propane . Well , I guess we could use 'lectric heaters , but that's
costly too .
Besides , cutting and splitting the firewood helps keep me (relatively)
slim and fit . Though I've managed to add a little bit in front - my wife
says she's going to get me a tee shirt that says "Body by Busch" .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 11:21 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
People in farm country would put plastic over the
windows
and stack some straw bales around the houses years ago.
The
fortunate ones had a good windbreak north and west of
their houses.
It was also nicer if the outhouse door wasn't on the
north or west
side of it.

If you have enough snow to work with, shovel it up against
the
house as high as you can depending on how much you have.
Around here we call it 'banking the house'. Snowbank against
the house that is. Sure makes a difference! I call my house
form for an igloo. If there was enough snow I would bury it!
phil k.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 2:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/13/2016 1:55 PM, Muggles wrote:

Right now we know the house needs more and better insulation, but have
to make due with what we can actually afford. We'd have to do some
major insulating and wall repairing to add more insulation, and can't
afford it right now.

I know the concept. Money for insullation?
No gots -- all the money is going to
utilities. You need money to save money.

I hope that works out for you.

So far we're warm. Hope you get warm, too.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 3:48 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I would like to be proven wrong, but I just do not see any advantage over
the oil filled heaters over the electric heaters that just have a heating
element and a fan blowing across them. Isn't electric heat just the same
either way and you are wasting the money on a more expensive heater ?
Anything that produces heat from elecrtricity is going to use the same
ammout of KWH to raise the room to the same temperature.

I've heard that 1500 watts provides 5,200 BTU
per hour, no matter how you slice it. Some folks
like infrared heaters, and others like fan forced
hot air. All works out about the same.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 3:49 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Muggles wrote:
He already knows why - it's a mobile home with 2" thick walls
and no insulation . Has aluminum windows that are single glazed and
have no thermal
break and also let air infiltrate . Also has a poorly fitting doors
if he has to use a towel as a door snake .

I thought Muggles was female? Oh, maybe I'm
mistaken. Sorry, Mr. Muggles.

Yes, I'm female. lol

I was talking about YOU and YOUR POS living quarters Stormy .

I hope you enjoy the eight by ten photos I sent
last week, in the mail? I circled the major
POS features which make me so proud.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

Nothing wrong with a little beer belly. If you work, and are fit, hey,
enjoy. I like light beer every now and then, myself.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 3:49 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 2/13/2016 2:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My Dad liked his oil filled radiator. I've always
been a fan forced heat kind of guy. But, I may
try oil filled, some day. Thank you.

The 2 that I bought has great reviews. They have a thermostat and can
cycle between the heat settings and even turn itself off when temps are
reached, then turn itself back on and cycle through the heat settings again.

IOW, it'll heat up the oil in the radiator, turn itself off while it
radiates the heat, and when it cools down, it'll do it again. It's not
using power to heat all the time - only uses power to heat the oil and
when it's to temp it cycles off. Make sense?

Cycling stat like that is akin to put ten bucks
in the gas tank each time. It works out the
same, over time.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 3:57 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Muggles wrote:
It has to get pretty cold for us to fire up the wood stove because the
thing puts out more heat than we really need.

We have only one other choice , and heating the whole living space with the
propane furnace in the camper is not only hard on that furnace , costs a lot
for the propane . Well , I guess we could use 'lectric heaters , but that's
costly too .
Besides , cutting and splitting the firewood helps keep me (relatively)
slim and fit . Though I've managed to add a little bit in front - my wife
says she's going to get me a tee shirt that says "Body by Busch" .

I've known people who had wood burning stoves. I've
enjoyed picking fire wood off the curb side, and
helped with the cutting and all. It's a very good
use of time. Well, for me anyway.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message

If you have enough snow to work with, shovel it up against the
house as high as you can depending on how much you have.
Around here we call it 'banking the house'. Snowbank against
the house that is. Sure makes a difference! I call my house a
form for an igloo. If there was enough snow I would bury it!
phil k.

If I had that much snow I woul MOVE. Around here if we get 4 inches a
couple of times a year that is a lot. I think we have had about 12 to 16
inches at a time about 3 times in the 60 years I can remember. Some years
almost none.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 4:13 PM, Muggles wrote:
I know the concept. Money for insullation?
No gots -- all the money is going to
utilities. You need money to save money.

I hope that works out for you.

So far we're warm. Hope you get warm, too.

I'm back from the store. Buy some no cook foods.
Turn up the thermostat when I got home, and now
it's warm. Thanks for the good wishes.

Last time it was this cold, I had frost on the
wall in my bedroom. Since that time, I've stapled
on a couple layers of corrugated cardboard. And
it's a bit warmer in there. Crude, but works.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 4:10 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

If you have enough snow to work with, shovel it up against the
house as high as you can depending on how much you have.
Around here we call it 'banking the house'. Snowbank against
the house that is. Sure makes a difference! I call my house a
form for an igloo. If there was enough snow I would bury it!
phil k.

One time when I was a kid, I burried my legs in snow
(while wearing a snow suit). Entirely to my surprise,
that was warmer than being on top of the snow.

Yes, the banking sounds like a great idea. My snow
is presently about one inch or less, but I'll do that
when the moment presents. Thank you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 3:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/13/2016 4:13 PM, Muggles wrote:
I know the concept. Money for insullation?
No gots -- all the money is going to
utilities. You need money to save money.

I hope that works out for you.

So far we're warm. Hope you get warm, too.

I'm back from the store. Buy some no cook foods.
Turn up the thermostat when I got home, and now
it's warm. Thanks for the good wishes.

Last time it was this cold, I had frost on the
wall in my bedroom. Since that time, I've stapled
on a couple layers of corrugated cardboard. And
it's a bit warmer in there. Crude, but works.

Once upon a time we lived in a rental house that had no insulation at
all. It got so cold that the toilet bowl froze. We'd have to heat water
on the stove and pout it into the bowl to get it to flush before we
could use it.

The only heat we had was a kerosene heater that we had to move from room
to room. When we'd go to bed at night we had to tuck the baby into a
dresser drawer with blankets to keep her warm enough even though the k.
heater was in the bedroom with us.

STAY WARM!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various
sources of heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those
radiator oil heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it
so much I bought another one for the back part of the house.

Why don't you have an energy audit done? Then you'll know why and
what to do about it.

He already knows why - it's a mobile home with 2" thick walls
and no insulation . Has aluminum windows that are single glazed and
have no thermal
break and also let air infiltrate . Also has a poorly fitting doors
if he has to use a towel as a door snake .

I thought Muggles was female? Oh, maybe I'm
mistaken. Sorry, Mr. Muggles.

Yes, I'm female. lol

I was talking about YOU and YOUR POS living quarters Stormy .

The blow-through "Redneck Bungalow"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Ralph Mowery:
I would like to be proven wrong, but I just do not see any advantage over
the oil filled heaters over the electric heaters that just have a heating
element and a fan blowing across them.

My guess would be fire safety.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 14:49:45 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

[...]

The net power used is the same. One difference is it is RADIANT heat
- which heats you without heating the air around you. Actually, it is
partly radiant heat, as the air does get heated somewhat by contacting
the body of the heater - but it is primarily a "radiator", so a draft
or opening a door doesn't dump all the heat (contained in the air) out
the door.