Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cold weather adaptation around the house

Muggles wrote:
On 2/13/2016 9:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Western NYS, USA is three degrees below
zero (Farenheit) today.

Wonder what all I can do about the cold?
Obvious answer is to stay home and turn
the heat up. I've got a towel acting as
a door snake, help keep the cold from
coming in under the door.

Only trace of snow, no snow moval today.
I guess I'll hope the utilities stay on.

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various sources
of heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those radiator oil
heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so much I bought
another one for the back part of the house.

I just toss another log on the fire and open the inlet air damper a bit .
Right now it's in the high 30's and I've got the stove turned all the way
down and a couple of windows cracked so it doesn't get too warm ... this
stove is way oversized for our current space . Sized it for the final
structure , about 4X the current floor space .

--
Snag
And we don't care if the utilities go off , if we need 'lectric I just fire