Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_8_] Muggles[_8_] is offline

Default Cold weather adaptation around the house

On 2/13/2016 2:57 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Muggles wrote:
On 2/13/2016 12:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Muggles wrote:
On 2/13/2016 9:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Western NYS, USA is three degrees below
zero (Farenheit) today.

Wonder what all I can do about the cold?
Obvious answer is to stay home and turn
the heat up. I've got a towel acting as
a door snake, help keep the cold from
coming in under the door.

Only trace of snow, no snow moval today.
I guess I'll hope the utilities stay on.

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various
sources of heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those
radiator oil heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it
so much I bought another one for the back part of the house.

I just toss another log on the fire and open the inlet air damper
a bit . Right now it's in the high 30's and I've got the stove
turned all the way down and a couple of windows cracked so it
doesn't get too warm ... this stove is way oversized for our current
space . Sized it for the final structure , about 4X the current
floor space .

It has to get pretty cold for us to fire up the wood stove because the
thing puts out more heat than we really need.

We have only one other choice , and heating the whole living space with the
propane furnace in the camper is not only hard on that furnace , costs a lot
for the propane . Well , I guess we could use 'lectric heaters , but that's
costly too .
Besides , cutting and splitting the firewood helps keep me (relatively)
slim and fit . Though I've managed to add a little bit in front - my wife
says she's going to get me a tee shirt that says "Body by Busch" .

Nothing wrong with a little beer belly. If you work, and are fit, hey,
enjoy. I like light beer every now and then, myself.

--
Maggie