Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil Kangas[_4_] Phil Kangas[_4_] is offline

Default Cold weather adaptation around the house

On 2/13/2016 11:21 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
People in farm country would put plastic over the
windows
and stack some straw bales around the houses years ago.
The
fortunate ones had a good windbreak north and west of
their houses.
It was also nicer if the outhouse door wasn't on the
north or west
side of it.

If you have enough snow to work with, shovel it up against
the
house as high as you can depending on how much you have.
Around here we call it 'banking the house'. Snowbank against
the house that is. Sure makes a difference! I call my house
form for an igloo. If there was enough snow I would bury it!
phil k.