Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House door opens by itself from severe cold weather

We're just getting over a severe cold spell. The temps were down around
MINUS 15. Last night it warmed up to around 20 ABOVE ZERO. When I woke
up this morning, my rear door was open. Fortunately it was not windy, or
the door might have opened all the way, but it was still open about 2
inches.

We rarely use that door. The last time it was opened was about 3 weeks
ago, and I always check to make sure it's latched tight. Somehow the
temperature change made it open. I checked the latch and it works fine.
To make sure this dont happen again, I put a hook & eye on it now.

I'm posting this because I wonder if other people on this newsgroup have
this problem?

I do know, I'm not alone, because I know a guy who had it much worse. A
few weeks ago, he left the house, and while he was gone, there were high
winds and a blizzard. When he got home, about 8 or 9 hours later, he
found his door wide open, and there was a 3 foot drift inside his house.
However, in his case, he admits that he may not have shut the door
tight. He said his weatherstripping is tight and he has to slam the door
real hard to make it latch.

He said that was the first time he ever had to shovel snow INSIDE the
house! Worse yet, he had some frozen pipes too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

[...]

I'm at about 95% certain you left the door unlatched.
Extreme cold makes things shrink, but I doubt enough to cause a door
to open.

Even in your own email you say "you are not alone", but then go on
to admit the example you are using, the person left the door
unlatched.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:
writes:

[...]

Or barely latched by the thread.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 4:13:50 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Abominable Snow Man. Was any beer missing from your fridge? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Ice Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2016 9:46 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

I'm at about 95% certain you left the door unlatched.
Extreme cold makes things shrink, but I doubt enough to cause a door
to open.

Seems like it would have to shrink quite a bit. My house moves at least
1/4" seasonally. For the shower enclosure I have a 30" shower door and a
30" glass panel for the shower. In the winter it is a perfect fit. It
was installed in the winter. In the summer, the gap narrows about 1/4"
and to door does not close properly. Fortunately it does not leak.
Winter comes and perfect fit again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 5:13:50 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I spent a year in Alaska while serving in the USCG. Shoveling around the
inside of doorways was not uncommon, depending on which way the wind was blowing.

We had corks in holes in the frames around our windows and you had to
keep them sealled up or the snow would blow right through. Many of us had
wooden boxes, lined with styrofoam fixed to our window sills. The backs
were open where the holes in the window frames were to let cold air in.

I could grab a couple of pony bottles of beer off of the shelf, stick them
in the box and they'd be cold enough to drink by the time I changed from my
work clothes into my civvies.

One guy popped a can of Coke in less than 10 minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 12:17:00 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I could grab a couple of pony bottles of beer off of the shelf, stick them
in the box and they'd be cold enough to drink by the time I changed from my
work clothes into my civvies.

I never knew they sell beer for ponies....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I could grab a couple of pony bottles of beer off of the shelf, stick them
in the box and they'd be cold enough to drink by the time I changed from my
work clothes into my civvies.

I never knew they sell beer for ponies....

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps9ojfvuwi.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I could grab a couple of pony bottles of beer off of the shelf, stick them
in the box and they'd be cold enough to drink by the time I changed from my
work clothes into my civvies.

I never knew they sell beer for ponies....

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps9ojfvuwi.jpg

I dont know what this picture has to do with this thread, but I wish I
could find a torch like that. I've been looking for one of them for
years. I could use one right now, to unthaw a metal pipe gate thats
frozen to the ground. All I find are small hand torches, or larger ones
that are made for those small propane cylinders, and dont have any
power. (I bought one of those and returned it... It would not even stay
lit).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I could grab a couple of pony bottles of beer off of the shelf, stick them
in the box and they'd be cold enough to drink by the time I changed from my
work clothes into my civvies.

I never knew they sell beer for ponies....

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps9ojfvuwi.jpg

I dont know what this picture has to do with this thread, but I wish I
could find a torch like that. I've been looking for one of them for
years. I could use one right now, to unthaw a metal pipe gate thats
frozen to the ground. All I find are small hand torches, or larger ones
that are made for those small propane cylinders, and dont have any
power. (I bought one of those and returned it... It would not even stay
lit).

If you wish to "unthaw" something, use liquid CO2 but if you wish to "thaw" something, use a torch or other source of heat. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Frozen Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House door needs a big torch

On 1/23/2016 5:18 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 21:54:09 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps9ojfvuwi.jpg

I dont know what this picture has to do with this thread, but I wish I
could find a torch like that. I've been looking for one of them for
years. I could use one right now, to unthaw a metal pipe gate thats
frozen to the ground. All I find are small hand torches, or larger ones
that are made for those small propane cylinders, and dont have any
power. (I bought one of those and returned it... It would not even stay
lit).

Harbor Freight to the rescue.

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ter-91037.html

New store hours, closing at 8 PM now.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I could grab a couple of pony bottles of beer off of the shelf, stick them
in the box and they'd be cold enough to drink by the time I changed from my
work clothes into my civvies.

I never knew they sell beer for ponies....

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps9ojfvuwi.jpg

I dont know what this picture has to do with this thread,

My bad...I meant to post a link to Pony beer bottles in response to
"I never knew they sell beer for ponies....".

Apparently the link to the torch picture I posted in my response
to the "indoor BBQ" warning was still on my clipboard.

This is the link I meant to post:

http://www.bonappetit.com/wp-content...ottles-646.jpg

but I wish I
could find a torch like that. I've been looking for one of them for
years.

I got mine at Harbor Freight. They had 2 choices:

Without Igniter:

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

With Igniter:

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ter-91037.html

The igniter is well worth the extra money.

I could use one right now, to unthaw a metal pipe gate thats
frozen to the ground. All I find are small hand torches, or larger ones
that are made for those small propane cylinders, and dont have any
power. (I bought one of those and returned it... It would not even stay
lit).

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.bernzomatic.com/product/w...rt-torch-head/

Either you bought a really low quality unit or the one you bought was
defective. There are millions of torch heads like that is use across the
globe.

I usually use my small torch head to light my campfires (they even suggest
that on the Bernzomatic site). When I took that picture, I was doing some
outside work, the big torch was hanging in the shed and I hadn't used it
in a while. I figured I might as well make sure it still worked. You don't
need a lot of kindling when you lay that big flame next to the wood for a
little while. ;-)

My adult sons have seen me light hundreds of campfires with the small torch
head over the years, so I took a picture of the big torch and sent it to
them with the caption "Go big or stay home!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 04:07:41 -0600, wrote:

[...]

No deadbolts? I would never have exterior doors that were not secured
by deadbolts when I'm gone. Typical home quality latches are too
crappy to count on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

[...]

Dats kold...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 08:11:58 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I never knew they sell beer for ponies....

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps9ojfvuwi.jpg

I dont know what this picture has to do with this thread,

My bad...I meant to post a link to Pony beer bottles in response to
"I never knew they sell beer for ponies....".

Apparently the link to the torch picture I posted in my response
to the "indoor BBQ" warning was still on my clipboard.

This is the link I meant to post:

http://www.bonappetit.com/wp-content...ottles-646.jpg

Cute. I never saw those small bottles.
I remember when I was young, they called a quarter barrel of beer a
"Pony Barrel". I dont know if they still sell them (using that name
anyhow). I dont drink enough to buy beer by the barrel. A 12 pack
usually lasts me a month, unless someone else helps me drink it.

but I wish I
could find a torch like that. I've been looking for one of them for
years.

I got mine at Harbor Freight. They had 2 choices:

That's too bad, since I refuse to buy from Harbor Freight. But since I
cant seem to find any torch like that anywhere else, I'd almost consider
it, especially for that price. The only thing I did find was an
industrial torch in a catalog which was around $230. It's probably top
quality, but it's not something I use often enough to pay that much.

It seems that torches that use the small disposible bottles never work
well in cold weather. The tips of the bottles freeze up. I want
something that runs off a 20lb tank. The bad thing is that it's mostly
in the very cold weather that I need a torch. Like when my yard hydrants
freeze up, or what I have now, a gate frozen to the ground so I cant get
the horse back in his paddock, and he has to stay in the barn. (and he
is not happy about it).

Without Igniter:

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

With Igniter:

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ter-91037.html

The igniter is well worth the extra money.

I could use one right now, to unthaw a metal pipe gate thats
frozen to the ground. All I find are small hand torches, or larger ones
that are made for those small propane cylinders, and dont have any
power. (I bought one of those and returned it... It would not even stay
lit).

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.bernzomatic.com/product/w...rt-torch-head/

Either you bought a really low quality unit or the one you bought was
defective. There are millions of torch heads like that is use across the
globe.

I believe the one that I returned was a Bernzomatic, but it was about
3ft long and looked like a walking cane. The head was about 1" dia. I
bought it in fall to burn weeds, it was not a trigger start, it refused
to stay lit, so I had to keep relighting it. Come the following winter,
it would not even light in cold weather. That's when I returned it.

Plus, any torches that attach to those small cylinders tend to shoot
irregular flames if tipped on their sides, because the liquid fuel gets
into the torch head. I have a torch that I bought years ago, for
soldering copper pipe. It has a hose between the small cylinder and the
head. That was the best torch I ever bought. I've had it at least 30
years and it still works well. It's called a Turbo Torch.
But for unthawing stuff or burning weeds, the head is way too small.
(Does a great job for starting a campfire though)

I usually use my small torch head to light my campfires (they even suggest

snip

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

could find a torch like that. I've been looking for one of them for
years.

I got mine at Harbor Freight. They had 2 choices:

Without Igniter:

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

With Igniter:

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ter-91037.html

The igniter is well worth the extra money.

Just curious, how long is that torch?
In other words, do I have to bend over to torch weeds, or is it long
enough (like about 30" to 36") so I can torch the weeds without bending
over.

The HF webpage does not give the size measurements for it.

As much as I dislike HF, I'm considering buying this, just because I
cant find anything else like it, (that's affordable anyhow).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

could find a torch like that. I've been looking for one of them for
years.

I got mine at Harbor Freight. They had 2 choices:

Without Igniter:

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

With Igniter:

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ter-91037.html

The igniter is well worth the extra money.

Just curious, how long is that torch?
In other words, do I have to bend over to torch weeds, or is it long
enough (like about 30" to 36") so I can torch the weeds without bending
over.

The HF webpage does not give the size measurements for it.

As much as I dislike HF, I'm considering buying this, just because I
cant find anything else like it, (that's affordable anyhow).

Never mind, they do give the size. 22 1/2". I missed that when I first
looked.

Kind of shorter than I hoped, but it still will help me (I guess).

Hopefully it will work more than once. I have never been happy with
anyhing from HF. But if it solves this horse gate problem, and I have to
throw it away afterwards, I guess it's worth the $32. I was planning to
pay $25 to rent a torch for a day, but the local tool rental place dont
have any torches, except aceteline sp / oxygen cutting torches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

Hopefully it will work more than once. I have never been happy with
anyhing from HF. But if it solves this horse gate problem, and I have to
throw it away afterwards, I guess it's worth the $32. I was planning to
pay $25 to rent a torch for a day, but the local tool rental place dont
have any torches, except aceteline sp / oxygen cutting torches.

I bought one with the igniter from HF a few years ago and it's been working
fine since I bought it (mine was about $22 on sale). It appears to be well
made and I've used it to melt ice, set my pants leg on fire accidentally
(don't ask) and more. I was afraid if the power went out today that I would
even have to use it to heat the house (wife took strong exception to that
plant).

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 20:28:30 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

wrote in message

stuff snipped

Hopefully it will work more than once. I have never been happy with
anyhing from HF. But if it solves this horse gate problem, and I have to
throw it away afterwards, I guess it's worth the $32. I was planning to
pay $25 to rent a torch for a day, but the local tool rental place dont
have any torches, except aceteline sp / oxygen cutting torches.

I bought one with the igniter from HF a few years ago and it's been working
fine since I bought it (mine was about $22 on sale). It appears to be well
made and I've used it to melt ice, set my pants leg on fire accidentally
(don't ask) and more. I was afraid if the power went out today that I would
even have to use it to heat the house (wife took strong exception to that
plant).

Thanks, I'll probably get one. At least I know they work. My biggest
complaint with HF is their electrical stuff. Torches are not that
complicated. I was actually considering making one from an old furnace
orfice and some pipe, but just the hose and regulator are over $30.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default big torch for severe cold weather

wrote:

[...]

I'd visit a farm and garden and tractor
place. The magic words are "weed burner",
I think.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 3:33:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 20:28:30 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

wrote in message

stuff snipped

[...]

If you don't trust HF, check Amazon. You'll spend more, but they have a
number of choices.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2016 4:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 3:33:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Thanks, I'll probably get one. At least I know they work. My biggest
complaint with HF is their electrical stuff. Torches are not that
complicated. I was actually considering making one from an old furnace
orfice and some pipe, but just the hose and regulator are over $30.

If you don't trust HF, check Amazon. You'll spend more, but they have a
number of choices.

I may have seen such devices at farm and
garden stores. Weed burners, that is.

--
..
Christopher A. Young