Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default House door opens by itself from severe cold weather

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 5:13:50 AM UTC-5, wrote:
We're just getting over a severe cold spell. The temps were down around
MINUS 15. Last night it warmed up to around 20 ABOVE ZERO. When I woke
up this morning, my rear door was open. Fortunately it was not windy, or
the door might have opened all the way, but it was still open about 2
inches.

We rarely use that door. The last time it was opened was about 3 weeks
ago, and I always check to make sure it's latched tight. Somehow the
temperature change made it open. I checked the latch and it works fine.
To make sure this dont happen again, I put a hook & eye on it now.

I'm posting this because I wonder if other people on this newsgroup have
this problem?

I do know, I'm not alone, because I know a guy who had it much worse. A
few weeks ago, he left the house, and while he was gone, there were high
winds and a blizzard. When he got home, about 8 or 9 hours later, he
found his door wide open, and there was a 3 foot drift inside his house.
However, in his case, he admits that he may not have shut the door
tight. He said his weatherstripping is tight and he has to slam the door
real hard to make it latch.

He said that was the first time he ever had to shovel snow INSIDE the
house! Worse yet, he had some frozen pipes too.

I spent a year in Alaska while serving in the USCG. Shoveling around the
inside of doorways was not uncommon, depending on which way the wind was blowing.

We had corks in holes in the frames around our windows and you had to
keep them sealled up or the snow would blow right through. Many of us had
wooden boxes, lined with styrofoam fixed to our window sills. The backs
were open where the holes in the window frames were to let cold air in.

I could grab a couple of pony bottles of beer off of the shelf, stick them
in the box and they'd be cold enough to drink by the time I changed from my
work clothes into my civvies.

One guy popped a can of Coke in less than 10 minutes.

Dats kold...

--
Tekkie