Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - snow far

On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 2:58:09 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/24/2016 12:29 PM, Frank wrote:

I'd like to give a shout out to the EPA for those wonderful, mandated
gas cans which are spill proof but you end up with gas all over the
place when you try to use them.

What everyone else does: Unscrew the
amputated monstrosity and pour through
a funnel.

Not everyone. I still have 4 "regular" gas cans. 2 @ 2.5 gal and 2 @ 1 gal.

That's all I need for my equipment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2016 2:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/24/2016 12:29 PM, Frank wrote:

I'd like to give a shout out to the EPA for those wonderful, mandated
gas cans which are spill proof but you end up with gas all over the
place when you try to use them.

What everyone else does: Unscrew the
amputated monstrosity and pour through
a funnel.

I should have. My two gallon can blurped and leaked. That was finished
and I think I'll throw it out. Five gallon can, which you have to push
on rim like others to open would not close and that leaked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2016 2:07 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/24/2016 2:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/24/2016 12:29 PM, Frank wrote:

I'd like to give a shout out to the EPA for those wonderful, mandated
gas cans which are spill proof but you end up with gas all over the
place when you try to use them.

What everyone else does: Unscrew the
amputated monstrosity and pour through
a funnel.

I should have. My two gallon can blurped and leaked. That was finished
and I think I'll throw it out. Five gallon can, which you have to push
on rim like others to open would not close and that leaked.

Do a Google search on modifying those abortions. Don't have a link
handy but I found (and followed) one for the 5-gallon plastic ones.

Involves drilling a hole on top of handle (opposite spout) and fishing
through a tubeless tire valve (easier than it sounds) WITHOUT a valve
stem. This serves as a vent - capped loosely with a valve cap so it
doesn't bulge out like the stock ones will in the sun/heat.

Spring loaded nozzle is still a PITA but the gas flows MUCH faster this
way and it's almost as good as the old flex spouts. Then too once you
get a couple gallons out of the 5-gallon container you can pull the
spout off and, depending on the equipment you're filling, just pour it
in since you don't have the "gurgle splash" effect with the new venting
in place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 15:01:08 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[...]

_How to Fix a New Gas Can_ (from my links)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI&feature=related

Yer welcome
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+gasoline+can+

Our Dear Leaders know best. Keep chanting hope and change.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2016 7:13 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
I just finished watching some Youtube taken during current storm.
I was quite surprised most drivers speeding like driving in normal
weather. Going out of control and start spinning. They don't seem to
let their right foot off the gas pedal. Don't know how to come out of
spin. Foot off gas, put the gear in neutral jamming on the brake
concentrate on steering. Maybe needs some practices when weather is
nice? Slow down folks, slow down. Even fire trucks, ambulances were
spinning wheels not going anywhere, amazing. More than extreme weather,
I'd say violent weather. My home town Seoul Korea has -24C wind chill
unbelievable.
Today it is +3C, no wind, sun started going down all quiet and peaceful.

Wow, that could make for some interesting viewing.
Sounds spooky. I guess with the right music, it
could be slapstick comical.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

You can't give me a setup like this and not have me go for it:

If I happen to be out shoveling or blowing at the time, the driver will
sometimes slow and dip his blow into the mound at my EOD and
move what he can.

There's an awful lot of blowing going on in that sentence. Now I have to
clean my monitor. (-"

(And in answer to your question several county trucks came by, stopped at
the mound and then drove on so I am not sure what's going to happen
eventually. The mountain still blocks my driveway and now my neighbor's
stuck his truck into the big pile making any moving of it impossible!)

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 11:20:02 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

You can't give me a setup like this and not have me go for it:

If I happen to be out shoveling or blowing at the time, the driver will
sometimes slow and dip his blow into the mound at my EOD and
move what he can.

There's an awful lot of blowing going on in that sentence. Now I have to
clean my monitor. (-"

Typos sure can add fun to a post. ;-)

(And in answer to your question several county trucks came by, stopped at
the mound and then drove on so I am not sure what's going to happen
eventually. The mountain still blocks my driveway and now my neighbor's
stuck his truck into the big pile making any moving of it impossible!)

My question was more general in nature. Do they usually come back and clear
your EOD or are you on your own in most cases? Was this the first time you
emailed them about the issue? Just curious...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Historical seasonal average snowfall
TOTALS for the northeast range from
20-30". That's as measured from Dec.
21 to March 21.

The last two winters(2013-14 and
2014-15) CT alone got over 60"
in that time period! Philadelphia
and NY City got almost an entire
SEASON's average in the one storm
on Saturday Jan. 23!

And Alaska has averaged way below
what New England totalled the last
few seasons, so with all of this I
don't know WHAT the heck is going
on! I'm just sick of living in the winter
bullseye of mother Earth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 8:26:39 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
Northern DE so far about a foot. All is fine here but it is windy and
power outages are biggest near the coast where my brother lives.

We are right in the center of biggest accumulation and I expect another
foot. It must have been '96 when I bought my snow thrower after a 22
inch snow. I shoveled it then but my back didn't like it.

We're NE of Baltimore. I had to shovel a path from the back door to the greenhouse for my wife to get out there; she measured 27" of snow in that area.. It was 10 degrees when I got up this morning. The greenhouse held at 60 but I'm looking forward to a large electric bill.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Frank:
I'd like to give a shout out to the EPA for those wonderful, mandated
gas cans which are spill proof but you end up with gas all over the
place when you try to use them.

You and about a million other people.

The statement that rings truest to me: "They're a good design to keep
gasoline in the container.... but terrible when it comes to getting
gasoline out of the container."

I have spilled more gasoline in one year with those damn things than I
have spilled in a whole lifetime of using the old style cans.

Once I added an air vent, one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Can-56.../dp/B00DW4YLLK
was working not-too-badly for me. But soon the rubber ring around the
cap got pinched and now it dribbles a steady stream when poured from.

I've gone over to NATO Jerry cans with the NATO spouts:
http://tinyurl.com/zujg4jb
http://tinyurl.com/jh5cq6w

Pouring ergonomics could be better (there's no handle or grab point on
the bottom or side) and I am thinking about a more robust spout like
this http://tinyurl.com/jek5zub ..... And you have to be careful which
brand because there are look-alike rip offs out there that lack the
inner coating and don't have the proper welding method.

But, as-is, the ones I have don't spill a drop and they are totally
airtight.

I have seen pix of one of them after falling off a vehicle at turnpike
speed and it was intact.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Unquestionably Confused:
Involves drilling a hole on top of handle (opposite spout) and fishing
through a tubeless tire valve (easier than it sounds) WITHOUT a valve
stem. This serves as a vent - capped loosely with a valve cap so it
doesn't bulge out like the stock ones will in the sun/heat.

I got a pack of these http://tinyurl.com/j2a4sz4 and they worked as
advertised.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 8:54:52 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank:
[...]

There's a quick video at this site explaining how to tell a fake
from the real thing:

http://www.jerrycan.com/

Note: This is new to me. I'm just going with your comments, which the
video seems to support. I still have enough of the old style plastic
containers, so I haven't run into the problems associated with the
modern ones.

But, as-is, the ones I have don't spill a drop and they are totally
airtight.

I have seen pix of one of them after falling off a vehicle at turnpike
speed and it was intact.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per DerbyDad03:
Note: This is new to me. I'm just going with your comments, which the
video seems to support. I still have enough of the old style plastic
containers, so I haven't run into the problems associated with the
modern ones.

This is probably marginal, but I feel less bad about carrying the NATO
style in/on my vehicle.

I envision the plastic ones rupturing and spraying gasoline over
everything in a crash. Either the plastic splits or the pressure surge
pops the spout/nozzle connection.

OTOH, I hold out some hope, however small, that a NATO would not rupture
quite as easily.

Bottom line, though, I try to avoid carrying any sort of gasoline
container in my vehicles - but they do have to be filled
sooner-or-later, so I do wind up carrying them to/from the nearest gas
station.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2016 7:17 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 8:26:39 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
Northern DE so far about a foot. All is fine here but it is windy and
power outages are biggest near the coast where my brother lives.

We are right in the center of biggest accumulation and I expect another
foot. It must have been '96 when I bought my snow thrower after a 22
inch snow. I shoveled it then but my back didn't like it.

We're NE of Baltimore. I had to shovel a path from the back door to the greenhouse for my wife to get out there; she measured 27" of snow in that area. It was 10 degrees when I got up this morning. The greenhouse held at 60 but I'm looking forward to a large electric bill.

Paul

What type of heat do you use in your green house?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Typos sure can add fun to a post. ;-)

Yes, they do!

(And in answer to your question several county trucks came by, stopped

at
the mound and then drove on so I am not sure what's going to happen
eventually. The mountain still blocks my driveway and now my neighbor's
stuck his truck into the big pile making any moving of it impossible!)

My question was more general in nature. Do they usually come back and

clear
your EOD or are you on your own in most cases? Was this the first time you
emailed them about the issue? Just curious...

Each storm has been different but this is the first one where they dumped a
huge mountain of snow at the end of the driveway. Their policy is to first
clear a single lane and then they come back and try to clear more. This was
the first time I ever had to email them and though I got an email response
almost immediately, nothing's happened.

Usually, since my street starts with an "A" we are the first to be plowed
out, usually way ahead of everyone I know. So I really can't complain. I
actually could get out through my neighbor's plowed out driveway which is
separated from mine by a narrow strip of lawn. I think they realized that
and dropped me to the bottom of the list because there are others who don't
have a similar option and are still snowed in. I have friends whose streets
have YET to see a plow.

It's not like it was in Buffalo where two feet of snow is a minor
inconvenience and people know how to drive in it and to stay home if they
don't have to be out. I left Buffalo after they had 93" of mostly lake
effect snow in a single year. I had to jump out of the 2nd floor window
with plywood boards strapped to my feet so I could shovel the drifts that
had piled up against the storm door which opened outwards. I remember
thinking as I leapt whether the boards would hold me up or I would sink like
a stone into the snow.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2016 9:38 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Usually, since my street starts with an "A" we are the first to be plowed
out, usually way ahead of everyone I know. So I really can't complain. I
actually could get out through my neighbor's plowed out driveway which is
separated from mine by a narrow strip of lawn. I think they realized that
and dropped me to the bottom of the list because there are others who don't
have a similar option and are still snowed in. I have friends whose streets
have YET to see a plow.

Do you really think that is true? Aardvark street gets preference over
Underwood street?

The streets department has a plan in place that does not take street
names into consideration. It has much to do with what is on the route,
hospitals, fire house, steep hills, etc. Nor to plow drivers assess the
driveway of individual houses to see if they have an alternative way out.

The areas hardest hit with this last storm are in areas that usually get
moderate snowfall, thus they don't have the equipment to take on 20+
inches and clear it all in hours.

On the news last night a woman from Queens was complaining about the
lack of plowed streets. She said they were last because they were
black. I'm sure Manhattan, a major financial hub for the world, gets
priority over Queens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Robert Green:
Each storm has been different but this is the first one where they dumped a
huge mountain of snow at the end of the driveway.

Mound of snow ? You want to see a mound of snow?

Here's what they do to the sidewalks in Paoli PA:
http://tinyurl.com/hh5kj8v
http://tinyurl.com/js343tv

The first one is at least six feet high and right at the spot where the
sidewalk meets Russell road.

The second one is the other side of that intersection where they plow
all the crap from the road up on to the sidewalk.

I have been clearing this and the pathways through the park for 10+
years, but I'm getting old and this year I posted an appeal the local
civic association to make it more of a team sport.... and then said "The
Hell With It"....

Granted I have something of a woodie for governments in general....
authority issues maybe... but I think any normal person has to wonder
what kind of mind does stuff like this.

It's not the workers. Workers have supervisors. Supervisors have
managers. Managers make policy, create plans, and monitor compliance
with same.... So it's whatever passes for management locally.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 9:52:48 AM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
[...]

When I was stationed in Alaska (USCG) the 1 & 1.5 story buildings would
get buried on the windward side. Inside, the heat from the building would melt
a "cave", complete with stalagmites and stalagmites made of ice. We'd shine
flashlights though the window and get all sorts of cool (npi) pictures. The
caves lasted all winter and changed as the season went on.

Outside, we would ski off of the roofs with cross country skies (fairly safe)
or with seal skin slippers we'd buy from the Eskimos (not very safe at all).

When you first buy the slippers the hair is still on the bottom, pointed
towards the heel. It eventually wears off down to the skin, but while
the hair is there, they are slicker than snot. You've seen seals sliding
across the snow, so you can imagine how slick the slippers are, especially
on a snow covered hill.

Skiing with them is really dumb and a heck of a lot of fun. As long as you are
bundled up in full arctic gear, the falls don't hurt so much. The beer helps
to cushion the falls also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Skiing with them is really dumb and a heck of a lot of fun. As long as you

are
bundled up in full arctic gear, the falls don't hurt so much. The beer

helps
to cushion the falls also.

I had a friend who always took two percocets before skiing. His reasoning
was he knew he was going to hurt himself and he didn't want to wait for the
pain meds to kick in when he did.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 12:54:13 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Skiing with them is really dumb and a heck of a lot of fun. As long as you

are
bundled up in full arctic gear, the falls don't hurt so much. The beer

helps
to cushion the falls also.

I had a friend who always took two percocets before skiing. His reasoning
was he knew he was going to hurt himself and he didn't want to wait for the
pain meds to kick in when he did.

--
Bobby G.

Preventive maintenance. Smart!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 1/26/2016 9:38 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Usually, since my street starts with an "A" we are the first to be

plowed
out, usually way ahead of everyone I know. So I really can't complain.

actually could get out through my neighbor's plowed out driveway which

is
separated from mine by a narrow strip of lawn. I think they realized

that
and dropped me to the bottom of the list because there are others who

don't
have a similar option and are still snowed in. I have friends whose

streets
have YET to see a plow.

Do you really think that is true? Aardvark street gets preference over
Underwood street?

I know it's true because I know people in the neighborhood north (B to Z) of
me and that's the way they do it here. They collect the trash in the same
pattern. The streets are aphabetically ordered with the first bank being
one syllable names ("A" street) the next tier get two syllables, "Alpha"
street, the third "Apache" street, etc. It sucks to live on Zinnia St. for
sure.

The streets department has a plan in place that does not take street
names into consideration. It has much to do with what is on the route,
hospitals, fire house, steep hills, etc. Nor to plow drivers assess the
driveway of individual houses to see if they have an alternative way out.

Not sure how you can say that without interviewing them, but I've had more
than one truck stop, look at the mound and move on. That's consistent with
my reporting the problem and them deciding upon exception it's not bad
enough to warrant time moving it. I'll ask these questions of the public
works manager after the cleanup's complete.

I am pretty sure from where they've dumped the snow piles that they DO take
into consideration who they are blocking. They didn't block my neighbors
who were shoveling out the day it snowed and they reported to me that they
asked the driver not to block my driveway. Can't verify that, of course,
but in general the drivers move the snow to the closest out of the way place
they can find. On my street there's not much space to move it to. Since I
wasn't even starting to dig out at that point, I got the prize.

The areas hardest hit with this last storm are in areas that usually get
moderate snowfall, thus they don't have the equipment to take on 20+

inches and clear it all in hours.

They made that clear on their website - it would take days before "special
problems" like mine would be addressed as there are more important "targets"
to clear completely.

On the news last night a woman from Queens was complaining about the
lack of plowed streets. She said they were last because they were
black. I'm sure Manhattan, a major financial hub for the world, gets
priority over Queens.

And as you noted, so do public buildings and other priority locations
although most hospitals I know of have their own snow-clearing equipment and
don't depend on contractors or the government because they're not reliable
enough. Some buildings do depend on contractors, like my friend's apartment
complex that was so socked in that the managers said they would pay for a
cab for any resident who was still snowed in and couldn't drive. This kind
of storm strains resources to the max. Luckily we got a completely
unexpected "practice storm" the night before that woke them all up.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I had a friend who always took two percocets before skiing. His

reasoning
was he knew he was going to hurt himself and he didn't want to wait for

the
pain meds to kick in when he did.

--
Bobby G.

Preventive maintenance. Smart!

Except that I always suspected he fell down a lot more when loaded up with
Percs. He gave up skiing after he fractured his leg so badly the bone was
sticking out. I'll bet those Percs helped on that occasion.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 5:55:19 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I had a friend who always took two percocets before skiing. His

reasoning
was he knew he was going to hurt himself and he didn't want to wait for

the
pain meds to kick in when he did.

--
Bobby G.

Preventive maintenance. Smart!

Except that I always suspected he fell down a lot more when loaded up with
Percs. He gave up skiing after he fractured his leg so badly the bone was
sticking out. I'll bet those Percs helped on that occasion.

--
Bobby G.

It probably helped twice, before and after.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 09:41:14 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Back in the late seventies and eighties we got some storms up around
Stratford Ontario that drifted snow to the level of the roof at the
local Toyota dealer. Some of the guys went to work with their
snowmobiles and parked on the roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

Back in the late seventies and eighties we got some storms up around
Stratford Ontario that drifted snow to the level of the roof at the
local Toyota dealer. Some of the guys went to work with their
snowmobiles and parked on the roof.

IIRC, Ontario got the lake effect snow when it blew north instead of south.
People who've lived in the South all their lives usually haven't seen what
snow looks like in Canada and the upper US. I saw Niagra Falls completely
frozen over one year. It's an awesome sight.

It was amazing in Buffalo how many people had snowmobiles and pickups with
plow attachments. It was also amazing how quickly emergency personnel got
around during storms that just paralyze NYC and DC. Chicago, however, gets
enough snow on a regular basis that they also know how to deal with it. I
sat on the tarmac during a big storm and watched as they had multiple snow
plows in tandem working the runways at pretty impressive speeds.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Robert Green:
It was amazing in Buffalo how many people had snowmobiles and pickups with
plow attachments. It was also amazing how quickly emergency personnel got
around during storms that just paralyze NYC and DC.

The one time I got up to Lake-Effect-Snow Country it looked like they
did not plow the roads. Instead, they ran construction-type graders
over them to keep the snow level and free of ruts. The only blacktop I
saw was a rough circle about 50' across where the two main streets of
Watertown NY intersected.

Is that SOP up there?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 9:33:54 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Robert Green:
It was amazing in Buffalo how many people had snowmobiles and pickups with
plow attachments. It was also amazing how quickly emergency personnel got
around during storms that just paralyze NYC and DC.

The one time I got up to Lake-Effect-Snow Country it looked like they
did not plow the roads. Instead, they ran construction-type graders
over them to keep the snow level and free of ruts. The only blacktop I
saw was a rough circle about 50' across where the two main streets of
Watertown NY intersected.

Is that SOP up there?
--
Pete Cresswell

That is not SOP where I live, which is about a mile from the southern shore
of one of our Great Lakes. They plow and salt. And salt. And salt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2016 9:52 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That is not SOP where I live, which is about a mile from the southern shore
of one of our Great Lakes. They plow and salt. And salt. And salt.

I'm east of you but still in road salt country.
Vehicles rust out, brake lines and fuel lines
rust out. Electrical connections on vehicles go
bad. It's really miserable. Even car washing in
the spring doesn't much help.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 10:03:49 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/27/2016 9:52 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That is not SOP where I live, which is about a mile from the southern shore
of one of our Great Lakes. They plow and salt. And salt. And salt.

I'm east of you but still in road salt country.
Vehicles rust out, brake lines and fuel lines
rust out. Electrical connections on vehicles go
bad. It's really miserable. Even car washing in
the spring doesn't much help.

--

I wash my cars all winter, whenever we get a minimal break
in the weather. Anything above freezing is good enough

On rare occasions, when I just can't get to it myself, I
will go to a touch-less car wash.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2016 10:25 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm east of you but still in road salt country.
Vehicles rust out, brake lines and fuel lines
rust out. Electrical connections on vehicles go
bad. It's really miserable. Even car washing in
the spring doesn't much help.

--

I wash my cars all winter, whenever we get a minimal break
in the weather. Anything above freezing is good enough
for me. I have a hot water spigot for the hose and use
that for the wash water. I also use the 2 bucket method
to keep the wash water clear of salt and other debris.

On rare occasions, when I just can't get to it myself, I
will go to a touch-less car wash.

I'm sure the hot spigot makes a huge difference.
I've got a cold only electric power washer. I need
to use the coin op car washes in the spring, I'm
sure the hot water is worth the couple coins it
takes to use the drive through company's hot water
hose.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 10:46:10 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

The main problem with the hot water spigot is that it is at house
pressure, while the cold is at street pressure. You can't really
use the hot water spigot for rinsing because the pressure is so
low. When mixed with cold, you have to keep the cold at a minimum
or it overpowers the hot.

The other thing it does is that under certain conditions it causes warm
water to come out of the cold taps and toilets in the house. I have
a Y-hose connected to the hot and cold spigots. When both spigots are
open and the hose itself is closed at the spray handle, there is more
pressure on the cold side than the hot. If an inside cold tap is opened,
the back pressure pushes hot water into the cold water pipes.

This first time this happened I was really confused. It took a couple
of times of the hose being used with hot water and the problem occurring
for me to realize that it only happened when both spigots were open. That's
when the light came on and I understood what was happening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 12:48:51 AM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 1/25/2016 7:17 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 8:26:39 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
Northern DE so far about a foot. All is fine here but it is windy and
power outages are biggest near the coast where my brother lives.

We are right in the center of biggest accumulation and I expect another
foot. It must have been '96 when I bought my snow thrower after a 22
inch snow. I shoveled it then but my back didn't like it.

We're NE of Baltimore. I had to shovel a path from the back door to the greenhouse for my wife to get out there; she measured 27" of snow in that area. It was 10 degrees when I got up this morning. The greenhouse held at 60 but I'm looking forward to a large electric bill.

Paul

What type of heat do you use in your green house?

--
Maggie

We use a 220 volt heater. The body is an orange cube about one foot on a side. I believe it's 5,000 watts. I'd like to convert to propane or fuel oil; maybe now that I'm retired I can work on that this summer.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Stormin Mormon:
That is not SOP where I live, which is about a mile from the southern shore
of one of our Great Lakes. They plow and salt. And salt. And salt.

I'm east of you but still in road salt country.
Vehicles rust out, brake lines and fuel lines
rust out. Electrical connections on vehicles go
bad. It's really miserable. Even car washing in
the spring doesn't much help.

Maybe practice has changed in Watertown in the quite-a-few-years since I
saw what I saw.

In light of the vehicle rust considerations, grading instead of
plowing/salting might be worth pursuing with the local government.

Certainly, I never saw a stuck vehicle in the two days I was driving
around up there.... and I had no problems myself: all-weather tires, no
chains, 2WD....
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2016 11:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Since the cold is higher pressure than the warm,
maybe there is cold going into the hot side?

My Dad put in a mixing valve in the darkroom
of the old house, and we had cold hot inversions.
Until he put in check valves. I'm not all sure
why that happened, but I do remember it.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2016 1:23 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Stormin Mormon:
That is not SOP where I live, which is about a mile from the southern shore
of one of our Great Lakes. They plow and salt. And salt. And salt.

I'm east of you but still in road salt country.
Vehicles rust out, brake lines and fuel lines
rust out. Electrical connections on vehicles go
bad. It's really miserable. Even car washing in
the spring doesn't much help.

Maybe practice has changed in Watertown in the quite-a-few-years since I
saw what I saw.

In light of the vehicle rust considerations, grading instead of
plowing/salting might be worth pursuing with the local government.

Certainly, I never saw a stuck vehicle in the two days I was driving
around up there.... and I had no problems myself: all-weather tires, no
chains, 2WD....

A lot has been done in the past several years to make vehicles rust
proof. By and large it seems to work so rusting is nowhere nearly as
serious a problem. In the past it was just an undercoat and salt would
get through. Now everybody part is probably at least one sided
galvanized, everything is dipped in a passivising coating and then a
rust proof coating is cured on, all before painting. I knew a lot about
this 25 years ago and it has to be more advanced today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2016 11:36 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

We've converted our hoop green house into a wood frame, but didn't get
it finished before winter. We did get the sides and roof covered and
insulated and then covered the whole thing with our former hoop house
plastic cover. With all the insulation we've used half the propane this
year to heat it than we used last year, plus, since we have fish tanks
in there, the water helps maintain the ambient temps.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message

stuff snipped

The one time I got up to Lake-Effect-Snow Country it looked like they
did not plow the roads. Instead, they ran construction-type graders
over them to keep the snow level and free of ruts. The only blacktop I
saw was a rough circle about 50' across where the two main streets of
Watertown NY intersected.

I've seen both happen. When the snow gets over 3' there's not many places
to pile it so they pack it down. Black packed snow has been known to last
until June in Buffalo.

--
Bobby G.