Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT - snow far

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 10:46:10 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/27/2016 10:25 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm east of you but still in road salt country.
Vehicles rust out, brake lines and fuel lines
rust out. Electrical connections on vehicles go
bad. It's really miserable. Even car washing in
the spring doesn't much help.

--

I wash my cars all winter, whenever we get a minimal break
in the weather. Anything above freezing is good enough

On rare occasions, when I just can't get to it myself, I
will go to a touch-less car wash.

I'm sure the hot spigot makes a huge difference.
I've got a cold only electric power washer. I need
to use the coin op car washes in the spring, I'm
sure the hot water is worth the couple coins it
takes to use the drive through company's hot water
hose.

--

The main problem with the hot water spigot is that it is at house
pressure, while the cold is at street pressure. You can't really

The other thing it does is that under certain conditions it causes warm
water to come out of the cold taps and toilets in the house. I have
a Y-hose connected to the hot and cold spigots. When both spigots are
open and the hose itself is closed at the spray handle, there is more
pressure on the cold side than the hot. If an inside cold tap is opened,
the back pressure pushes hot water into the cold water pipes.

This first time this happened I was really confused. It took a couple
of times of the hose being used with hot water and the problem occurring
for me to realize that it only happened when both spigots were open. That's
when the light came on and I understood what was happening.