Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - snow far

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

That is not SOP where I live, which is about a mile from the southern

shore
of one of our Great Lakes. They plow and salt. And salt. And salt.

It's the reason I try not to drive until it's all gone because salt gets up
into the underside of the car and hastens all sorts of corrosion.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 9:14:07 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

That is not SOP where I live, which is about a mile from the southern

shore
of one of our Great Lakes. They plow and salt. And salt. And salt.

It's the reason I try not to drive until it's all gone because salt gets up
into the underside of the car and hastens all sorts of corrosion.

If I tried that I'd be home all winter in some years. It's virtually impossible to
not to drive until it's all gone. Maybe when I retire, but then I'll probably want
drive even more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 1:25:52 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/27/2016 11:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The main problem with the hot water spigot is that it is at house
pressure, while the cold is at street pressure. You can't really
use the hot water spigot for rinsing because the pressure is so
low. When mixed with cold, you have to keep the cold at a minimum
or it overpowers the hot.

The other thing it does is that under certain conditions it causes warm
water to come out of the cold taps and toilets in the house. I have
a Y-hose connected to the hot and cold spigots. When both spigots are
open and the hose itself is closed at the spray handle, there is more
pressure on the cold side than the hot. If an inside cold tap is opened,
the back pressure pushes hot water into the cold water pipes.

This first time this happened I was really confused. It took a couple
of times of the hose being used with hot water and the problem occurring
for me to realize that it only happened when both spigots were open. That's
when the light came on and I understood what was happening.

Since the cold is higher pressure than the warm,
maybe there is cold going into the hot side?

Street pressure at cold spigot.
House pressure at hot.
Open a cold faucet in the house when the hose nozzle is closed.
Street pressure from cold side forces hot water back into tank.
Cold water mixes with hot in WH and goes out through the WH's incoming cold water pipe.
Warm water comes out of cold faucet.

My Dad put in a mixing valve in the darkroom
of the old house, and we had cold hot inversions.
Until he put in check valves. I'm not all sure
why that happened, but I do remember it.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 20:16:04 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 9:14:07 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

That is not SOP where I live, which is about a mile from the southern

shore
of one of our Great Lakes. They plow and salt. And salt. And salt.

It's the reason I try not to drive until it's all gone because salt gets up
into the underside of the car and hastens all sorts of corrosion.

If I tried that I'd be home all winter in some years. It's virtually impossible to
not to drive until it's all gone. Maybe when I retire, but then I'll probably want
drive even more.

Yea, when the snow's all gone the salt is still left behind. We'd be
off the road from November 'till mid April when some good heavy rains
finish washing away the last of the salt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/27/2016 11:23 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Maybe practice has changed in Watertown in the quite-a-few-years since I
saw what I saw.

My father and I went up to Clarkson University in Potsdam during the
Christmas break. We didn't see pavement north of Lake George. After
noting the location of the freshmen dorms versus the campus and the
intervening snow drifts I took that one of my list of possible colleges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/27/2016 06:47 PM, Robert Green wrote:
I've seen both happen. When the snow gets over 3' there's not many places
to pile it so they pack it down. Black packed snow has been known to last
until June in Buffalo.

I learned to fly at a little airport at Middlebury VT. There was a pile
of what I thought was gravel near the end of the strip. As spring headed
towards summer I realized it was slowly melting. That was the longest
winter of my life. Being due east of Lake Champlain sucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2016 11:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Open a cold faucet in the [That's bizarre. I never did understand that.] house when the hose nozzle is closed.
Street pressure from cold side forces hot water back into tank.
Cold water mixes with hot in WH and goes out through the WH's incoming cold water pipe.
Warm water comes out of cold faucet.

My Dad put in a mixing valve in the darkroom
of the old house, and we had cold hot inversions.
Until he put in check valves. I'm not all sure
why that happened, but I do remember it.

--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Center posted, as your reply was.
--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2016 8:44 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

How do you describe it when you post text in
the center of an existing post?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 09:06:01 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

How do you describe it when you post text in
the center of an existing post?

Micky explained it to you. The same as intended. it isn't "center"
posting. It is "in-line" posting, to reply to a specific comment.

"...An RFC is authored by engineers and computer scientists in the
form of a memorandum describing methods, behaviors, research, or
innovations applicable to the working of the Internet and
Internet-connected systems. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Request_for_Comments

_List of RFCs_

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_RFCs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 9:06:06 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Pay attention...I've got a few things to say about your recent obsession
with what you incorrectly call "center posting".

First: It's called "interleaved" or (more commonly) inline posting, not
"center posting".

Stolen without permission from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

"Posting style

When a message is replied to in e-mail, Internet forums, or Usenet, the
original can often be included, or "quoted", in a variety of different
posting styles.

The main options are interleaved posting (also called inline replying, in
which the different parts of the reply follow the relevant parts of the
original post), bottom-posting (in which the reply follows the quote) or
top-posting (in which the reply precedes the quoted original message)."

So you are suddenly complaining about an accepted posting style as if
it was something new and as if there was something wrong with it. I have
a theory as to why you have recently started complaining about it, but
I'll get to that later in the post.

Second: You said "Center posted, as your reply was."

My reply was not posted smack in the middle of a sentence like yours
was and enclosed in brackets.

"Open a cold faucet in the [That's bizarre. I never did understand that.]
house when the hose nozzle is closed."

That makes "as your reply was" *not true* since I did not do that.
Inline posting, while completely acceptable in the Usenet environment, is
not typically done in the manner that you used. Comments relevant to a given
section of a post are posted as new lines directly after the section. If a
sentence does need to be split for some reason, then it should snipped or
split but left as a quoted section following the new inline comment.

Finally: The practice of inline replies have been used in this a.h.r for as
long as I have been subscribed, which now exceeds 30 years. However it seems
that you have just started to complain about it. Why is that? Is it because I
recently pointed out to you that posters from the web-based forums never saw
your ridiculous admonishments because the admins have the good sense to filter
you? Having lost that practice as a means to show us how smart you think you
are, have you now (incorrectly) started to complain about another acceptable
practice in the Usenet arena? Just curious...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2016 6:57 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Interleaved, did you notice, is plural. Parts has a
letter "s" on the end, which indicates plural.

In the case of one reply, it's okay to trim the
trailing text below the reply.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 21:24:26 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

In the case of one reply, it's okay to trim the
trailing text below the reply.

Why did it take you years to stop top posting and leave in the entire
post below? Then not use a proper Sig line delimiter? Was it lack of
knowledge or just plain being stubborn?

Eh? Explain it to Micky and Derby.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In the case of one reply, it's okay to trim the
trailing text below the reply.

Why did it take you years to stop top posting and leave
in the entire
post below? Then not use a proper Sig line delimiter? Was
it lack of
knowledge or just plain being stubborn?

Eh? Explain it to Micky and Derby.

ya fergot the sarcasm tag : )
cuz I know you already know the answer

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In the case of one reply, it's okay to trim the
trailing text below the reply.

Why did it take you years to stop top posting and leave
in the entire
post below? Then not use a proper Sig line delimiter? Was
it lack of
knowledge or just plain being stubborn?

Eh? Explain it to Micky and Derby.

ya fergot the sarcasm tag : )
cuz I know you already know the answer

Micky, Derby and I gave him the answer. Wait for his reply....

Don't bet on it happening

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In the case of one reply, it's okay to trim the
trailing text below the reply.

Why did it take you years to stop top posting and leave
in the entire
post below? Then not use a proper Sig line delimiter? Was
it lack of
knowledge or just plain being stubborn?

Eh? Explain it to Micky and Derby.

ya fergot the sarcasm tag : )
cuz I know you already know the answer

Micky, Derby and I gave him the answer. Wait for his reply....

Don't bet on it happening

Oh, he'll reply, but it won't be a direct response, an admission of
fault or an "Oh I see!" moment of enlightenment.

It will probably be a sarcastic, irrelevant response with perhaps a touch
of racism mixed in.

Uh oh...now he's in a quandary. If he does what I just said he'll do,
he will have proven me correct, which of course he won't want to do.
Therefore, he might have to admit that he was wrong, which, again, he
won't want to do.

Was that the sound of an exploding head?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In the case of one reply, it's okay to trim the
trailing text below the reply.

Why did it take you years to stop top posting and leave in the entire
post below? Then not use a proper Sig line delimiter? Was it lack of
knowledge or just plain being stubborn?

Eh? Explain it to Micky and Derby.

Eym speshul.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2016 10:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 8:31:07 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:

Micky, Derby and I gave him the answer. Wait for his reply....

Don't bet on it happening

Oh, he'll reply, but it won't be a direct response, an admission of
fault or an "Oh I see!" moment of enlightenment.

It will probably be a sarcastic, irrelevant response with perhaps a touch
of racism mixed in.

Uh oh...now he's in a quandary. If he does what I just said he'll do,
he will have proven me correct, which of course he won't want to do.
Therefore, he might have to admit that he was wrong, which, again, he
won't want to do.

Was that the sound of an exploding head?

How long did it take to write that? You
sure are a deep thinker. Moreso than my
self.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In the case of one reply, it's okay to trim the
trailing text below the reply.

Why did it take you years to stop top posting and leave in the entire
post below? Then not use a proper Sig line delimiter? Was it lack of
knowledge or just plain being stubborn?

Eh? Explain it to Micky and Derby.

Eym speshul.

In your dreams. How do you get your big head through the doors,
without your ears getting stuck. Do you grease them?

You sound like Trump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y
Sat, 23 Jan 2016 14:34:59 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 1/23/2016 6:25 AM, Frank wrote:
Northern DE so far about a foot. All is fine here but it is
windy and power outages are biggest near the coast where my
brother lives.

We are right in the center of biggest accumulation and I expect
another foot. It must have been '96 when I bought my snow thrower
after a 22 inch snow. I shoveled it then but my back didn't like
it.

I recall '78 in Boston... close to 30" in 2 days. Of course,
they've got no place to "push" the stuff so everything had to be
loaded onto dump trucks with front end loaders and "driven" away.

I still hear about the great storm of 78.. I was born during it. [g]

--
Hey listen...
On your way back up, bring some popcorn...With salt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2016 3:56 PM, Diesel wrote:
Don Y
Sat, 23 Jan 2016 14:34:59 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 1/23/2016 6:25 AM, Frank wrote:
Northern DE so far about a foot. All is fine here but it is
windy and power outages are biggest near the coast where my
brother lives.

We are right in the center of biggest accumulation and I expect
another foot. It must have been '96 when I bought my snow thrower
after a 22 inch snow. I shoveled it then but my back didn't like
it.

I recall '78 in Boston... close to 30" in 2 days. Of course,
they've got no place to "push" the stuff so everything had to be
loaded onto dump trucks with front end loaders and "driven" away.

I still hear about the great storm of 78.. I was born during it. [g]

It was delightfully *quiet* -- save for the periodic "backup alarms"
on all the front-end loaders lifting snow into the backs of dump trucks.

[Apparently, you can't just dump the stuff into the Charles as it's not
really snow (water) once it hits the ground]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

How long does it take for them to come back if you "complain"? If everyone

complained,
how would they get anything done? You can't just fly by when you are

clearing EOD piles.
It takes a lot longer to finesse them out of the way without tearing up

lawns, taking out
poles, etc. at least where I live.

Followup: They didn't come back for a week. That's when I sent a second
email. Ironically I said to a neighbor just before I sent the email that
"It looks like they plowed me in deliberately." The reply I got was
extremely apologetic. He said he sent someone the first day I emailed but
didn't personally make sure it was done. He said that they would be sending
someone out out that day (they sent two workers, a grader and a pickup with
a plow). At this point, all that was left of the snow were the big plow
mounds but it was hard-packed glassy heavy schmutz. The hacked at it for 20
minutes with all the gear and it was gone.

Then, after I sent a thank you email I got the oddest reply that said "we
would NEVER deliberately plow someone in." I thought that was strange since
I never accused him of that and only mentioned it to my neighbor in jest.
Turns out the neighbor is friends with the guy who runs the plow truck fleet
and who reports directly to the supervisor I was emailing. I assume the
back channels were in motion. (-: FWIW, there's still one or two small
plow mounds left in the neighborhood even though we have had warm days and
rain.

Fortunately, after dislocating a shoulder and banging up my legs falling
down the front steps a while back, I make sure I can stay in the house until
the snow's all gone. Not an option for yew northern boys, but it works for
me. With Amazon and Peapod grocery service, there's not a lot of things
that I can't get from them. Besides, when it snows here people go just a
little bit crazy. My wife saif that in anticipation of a small storm
tonight, the bread and toilet paper aisles in the Giant were cleaned out by
noon. People are strange.

--
Bobby G.