Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT - snow far

On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 7:47:29 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/27/2016 11:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 1:25:52 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/27/2016 11:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The main problem with the hot water spigot is that it is at house
pressure, while the cold is at street pressure. You can't really
use the hot water spigot for rinsing because the pressure is so
low. When mixed with cold, you have to keep the cold at a minimum
or it overpowers the hot.

The other thing it does is that under certain conditions it causes warm
water to come out of the cold taps and toilets in the house. I have
a Y-hose connected to the hot and cold spigots. When both spigots are
open and the hose itself is closed at the spray handle, there is more
pressure on the cold side than the hot. If an inside cold tap is opened,
the back pressure pushes hot water into the cold water pipes.

This first time this happened I was really confused. It took a couple
of times of the hose being used with hot water and the problem occurring
for me to realize that it only happened when both spigots were open. That's
when the light came on and I understood what was happening.

Since the cold is higher pressure than the warm,
maybe there is cold going into the hot side?

Street pressure at cold spigot.
House pressure at hot.
Open a cold faucet in the [That's bizarre. I never did understand that.] house when the hose nozzle is closed.
Street pressure from cold side forces hot water back into tank.
Cold water mixes with hot in WH and goes out through the WH's incoming cold water pipe.
Warm water comes out of cold faucet.

My Dad put in a mixing valve in the darkroom
of the old house, and we had cold hot inversions.
Until he put in check valves. I'm not all sure
why that happened, but I do remember it.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Center posted, as your reply was.