Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

Default ducted ceiling fan?

Hi All,

I've got some rental houses that cater mostly to less-well-to-do folks.
They tend to be rather hard in the wear-n-tear department. They are
positively murder on ceiling fans.

What I think would work would be a "ducted" 52 in ceiling fan. Perhaps
"ducted" is not the right term. What I envision is the blades enclosed
in a 6 inch steel band around the sides -- along with a metal blade guard
on the bottom. The idea is to keep items from contacting the blades.

I've seen a very small version of this in Lowes, but I've had no luck in
finding something bigger. Does anyone make something like this??

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 15:20:19 +0000 (UTC), Sam wrote:

Hi All,

I've got some rental houses that cater mostly to less-well-to-do folks.
They tend to be rather hard in the wear-n-tear department. They are
positively murder on ceiling fans.

What I think would work would be a "ducted" 52 in ceiling fan. Perhaps
"ducted" is not the right term. What I envision is the blades enclosed
in a 6 inch steel band around the sides -- along with a metal blade guard
on the bottom. The idea is to keep items from contacting the blades.

I've seen a very small version of this in Lowes, but I've had no luck in
finding something bigger. Does anyone make something like this??

Thanks!

Google "caged ceiling fan."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi All,

I've got some rental houses that cater mostly to less-well-to-do folks.
They tend to be rather hard in the wear-n-tear department. They are
positively murder on ceiling fans.

What I think would work would be a "ducted" 52 in ceiling fan. Perhaps
"ducted" is not the right term. What I envision is the blades enclosed
in a 6 inch steel band around the sides -- along with a metal blade guard
on the bottom. The idea is to keep items from contacting the blades.

I've seen a very small version of this in Lowes, but I've had no luck in
finding something bigger. Does anyone make something like this??

I would think any good HVAC company could whip something out
for you before lunch.

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 10:52:03 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

Google "caged ceiling fan."

This looks perfect but I can't find the brand name. Apparently others
are looking for one like it too. Anyone?

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/wher...ling-fan-good-
questions-189140
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:20:25 AM UTC-5, Sam wrote:
Hi All,

I've got some rental houses that cater mostly to less-well-to-do folks.
They tend to be rather hard in the wear-n-tear department. They are
positively murder on ceiling fans.

What I think would work would be a "ducted" 52 in ceiling fan. Perhaps
"ducted" is not the right term. What I envision is the blades enclosed
in a 6 inch steel band around the sides -- along with a metal blade guard
on the bottom. The idea is to keep items from contacting the blades.

I've seen a very small version of this in Lowes, but I've had no luck in
finding something bigger. Does anyone make something like this??

Thanks!

Have you considered getting an industrial ceiling fan? They're more expensive but a lot tougher than a big box home improvement store models. ^_^

http://www.airdistributor.net/c-20-4...ling-fans.aspx

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:01:57 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

Have you considered getting an industrial ceiling fan? They're more
expensive but a lot tougher than a big box home improvement store
models. ^_^

http://www.airdistributor.net/c-20-4...trial-ceiling-

fans.aspx

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster

I had some 56" industrial fans just like those in my coin laundry.
Seriously sweet machines. They did work great but people were not
getting in contact with the blades.

In the rentals, people are coming in contact with the blades (all too
often) and they can't be rebalanced afterward. That's why I really need
some blade guards...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 1:14:57 PM UTC-5, Sam wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:01:57 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

Have you considered getting an industrial ceiling fan? They're more
expensive but a lot tougher than a big box home improvement store
models. ^_^

http://www.airdistributor.net/c-20-4...trial-ceiling-

fans.aspx

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster

I had some 56" industrial fans just like those in my coin laundry.
Seriously sweet machines. They did work great but people were not
getting in contact with the blades.

In the rentals, people are coming in contact with the blades (all too
often) and they can't be rebalanced afterward. That's why I really need
some blade guards...

WTF?! Are they standing on chairs and sticking their head in the path of the blades or swatting the blades with a broom or their hands? It's hard to believe someone is stupid enough to......oh yea, they vote Democrat. Never mind. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-09, Sam wrote:

They are positively murder on ceiling fans.

I've lived here for 7 yrs, use the ceiling fan constantly, and have
never once touched the blades, 'ceptin' to vacuum the dust off. WTF
are they doing? slicing bread??

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:28:54 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

I've repaired a lot of things for friends who owned Section 8 houses.
The same damages seem to plague government owned housing. The more
someone has invested in their home, the better they care for it. I've
seen CCH's,"Caucasian Crack Heads" tear the hell out of the house the're
in and all the vacant houses in their neighborhood looking for copper to
steal. Me and my brother repaired a gas stove in a house that had been
without gas service for months where the CCH living there had cut a
section of tubing out of the line that fed the burner in the oven. The
CCH used it to make a crack pipe. O_o

[8~{} Uncle House Monster

I can certainly relate to that.

You know you're dealing with the bottom 2% when they steal the plumbing,
the wiring and put camouflaged holes in the walls to hide their stash.

I have one white couple in a rental, early twenties, and the wife's teeth
are all rotten. Most of them are merely stumps. One of the most bizarre
things I've ever seen.

What has happened to humanity? Sheesh.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:41:16 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

WTF?! Are they standing on chairs and sticking their head in the path of
the blades or swatting the blades with a broom or their hands? It's hard
to believe someone is stupid enough to......oh yea, they vote Democrat.
Never mind. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster

I'm never witnessed the fan death dance so I can't say what is
happening. I only deal with the aftermath.

Sometimes these fans are shaking so bad, you think they are coming down.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 19:04:39 +0000, notbob wrote:

I've lived here for 7 yrs, use the ceiling fan constantly, and have
never once touched the blades, 'ceptin' to vacuum the dust off. WTF are
they doing? slicing bread??

nb

Dealing with section 8 types, you never quite know what they are up to.
I don't know how they are contacting the blades but it has to be a pretty
good impact judging from the damage.

The very poor people are frequently extremely destructive to everything
in their environment. Paint, miniblinds, doors, sheetrock .... you name
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-09, Sam wrote:

Sometimes these fans are shaking so bad, you think they are coming down.

Perhaps yer buying crappy ceiling fans. My ex-landlord --actually, a
great landlord!-- always bought the cheapest components from HD. Wall
heaters, garbage disposals, etc. I asked him once why he never bought
better quality stuff for his rental props. He said it's cheaper in
the long run to buy the cheapest stuff and replace it. (shrug)

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-09, Sam wrote:

They are positively murder on ceiling fans.

I've lived here for 7 yrs, use the ceiling fan constantly, and have
never once touched the blades, 'ceptin' to vacuum the dust off. WTF
are they doing? slicing bread??

nb

I knew a twenty some thing white boy who used to
throw bags of potato chips into the ceiling fan
to ammuse him self.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-09, Sam wrote:

They are positively murder on ceiling fans.

I've lived here for 7 yrs, use the ceiling fan constantly, and have
never once touched the blades, 'ceptin' to vacuum the dust off. WTF
are they doing? slicing bread??

nb

I knew a twenty some thing white boy who used to
throw bags of potato chips into the ceiling fan
to ammuse him self.

I (we) did a detail on a condo for an owner selling his property. The
ceiling fan and light were removed, and the son put a hook in the 2X
for a sex swing. Honest.

The son was a known crack head. Long story on that job. It took a few
weeks to finish it for sell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 2:25:39 PM UTC-5, Sam wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:41:16 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

WTF?! Are they standing on chairs and sticking their head in the path of
the blades or swatting the blades with a broom or their hands? It's hard
to believe someone is stupid enough to......oh yea, they vote Democrat.
Never mind. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster

I'm never witnessed the fan death dance so I can't say what is
happening. I only deal with the aftermath.

Sometimes these fans are shaking so bad, you think they are coming down.

That's why I mentioned an industrial ceiling fan, they're a lot tougher than the home improvement store fans. One thing to consider, one of those whack jobs could poke something through the fan guard, lock the fan up leading to overheating and a possible fire. You may have heard the term,"Soldier Proof", I believe a line of heavy duty residential products should be manufactured and marketed as,"Section 8 Proof". O_o

[8~{} Uncle Broken Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 2:28:58 PM UTC-5, Sam wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 19:04:39 +0000, notbob wrote:

I've lived here for 7 yrs, use the ceiling fan constantly, and have
never once touched the blades, 'ceptin' to vacuum the dust off. WTF are
they doing? slicing bread??

nb

Dealing with section 8 types, you never quite know what they are up to.
I don't know how they are contacting the blades but it has to be a pretty
good impact judging from the damage.

The very poor people are frequently extremely destructive to everything
in their environment. Paint, miniblinds, doors, sheetrock .... you name
it.

What I've seen of many low income folks is that they're often drunk or doing drugs. They blow all their money on staying fraked up which is why the're poor. They have no self control in that condition and take their anger out on their environment. I'm po, but I respect other people's property and often make the repairs on the house I'm renting if the owner supplies the material. I have a lot of my own parts and raw material already and since I got to where I can't walk in the past year, I call on friends to help. When you have people in a house who guzzle alcohol, the floors and carpets can wind up soaked with booze and puke. The great majority of them smoke so there will be cigarette burns on the counters, the carpet and other flooring. If the house is rented furnished, a landlord can count on replacing the furniture when the human trash moves out. I've repaired appliances in such vacated homes. The damage reprobates can do to a refrigerator is astounding. A late friend of me and my brother was a building contractor who also built cabinets. We worked on a lot of remodels and did refurbs for Section 8 housing owners so I saw first hand the kind of damage slobs can do. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Astounded Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/09/2015 09:20 AM, Sam wrote:
What I think would work would be a "ducted" 52 in ceiling fan. Perhaps
"ducted" is not the right term. What I envision is the blades enclosed
in a 6 inch steel band around the sides -- along with a metal blade guard
on the bottom. The idea is to keep items from contacting the blades.

What do they do? Throw empty Colt 45 cans at the fan for amusement? Or
do they get all literal with TSHTF?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 15:20:19 +0000 (UTC), Sam wrote:

What I think would work would be a "ducted" 52 in ceiling fan. Perhaps
"ducted" is not the right term. What I envision is the blades enclosed
in a 6 inch steel band around the sides -- along with a metal blade guard
on the bottom. The idea is to keep items from contacting the blades.

What about a bladeless fan? https://exhalefans.com/index.php

Expensive at $475 each.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 7:09:13 AM UTC-5, Don Wiss wrote:
On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 15:20:19 +0000 (UTC), Sam wrote:

What I think would work would be a "ducted" 52 in ceiling fan. Perhaps
"ducted" is not the right term. What I envision is the blades enclosed
in a 6 inch steel band around the sides -- along with a metal blade guard
on the bottom. The idea is to keep items from contacting the blades.

What about a bladeless fan? https://exhalefans.com/index.php

Expensive at $475 each.

That's a really cool fan (no pun). I see a wonderful opportunity for an artist or drunk crackhead to paint the ceiling or the whole room. All the idiot would have to do is slosh a bucket of paint into the center of the fan and the room would be spray painted. I really don't think that fan would be a good choice for a Section 8 house. If a drunk crackhead can find a way to destroy or damage something, they're going to find it. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.politics.media,alt.slack,uk.legal,uk.rec.driving

On 2015-07-09, Sam wrote:

They are positively murder on ceiling fans.

I've lived here for 7 yrs, use the ceiling fan constantly, and have
never once touched the blades, 'ceptin' to vacuum the dust off. WTF
are they doing? slicing bread??

nb

I knew a twenty some thing white boy who used to
throw bags of potato chips into the ceiling fan
to ammuse him self.

I (we) did a detail on a condo for an owner selling his property. The
ceiling fan and light were removed, and the son put a hook in the 2X
for a sex swing. Honest.

Oren? Them things is called a Free Swinging Love Seat, and me and Pleasance
gots one in the Love Dungeon.
Over?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 16:06:12 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

I believe a line of heavy duty residential
products should be manufactured and marketed as,"Section 8 Proof". O_o

[8~{} Uncle Broken Monster

I can sure get behind that.

In general, product quality has fallen so far in the last 30 years that
making comparisons is difficult. I can buy "economy" products today that
will not perform their intended function right out the box. Products of
"luxury" class today are equal to what was ordinary quality 30 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 17:46:48 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

When you have people in a house who guzzle
alcohol, the floors and carpets can wind up soaked with booze and puke.
The great majority of them smoke so there will be cigarette burns on the
counters, the carpet and other flooring. If the house is rented
furnished, a landlord can count on replacing the furniture when the
human trash moves out. I've repaired appliances in such vacated homes.
The damage reprobates can do to a refrigerator is astounding.

I would never, under any circumstances, rental a furnished house. Way
wrong class of people.

Another problem with the section 8 class folks is that they will not turn
on the gas to the heaters (requires a deposit with the city) and they
will simply leave the kitchen stove running and keep the stove door
open. Needless to say, the typical household grade stove completely self-
destructs really fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 08:09:06 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

What about a bladeless fan? https://exhalefans.com/index.php

Expensive at $475 each.

Wow. Thanks Don!

$475 is not expensive if it really works and is durable. I'm going to
see if I can find reviews this afternoon.

I spend several hours yesterday seeking solutions. I ended up thinking I
was going to buy some large, floor-model drum fans (3 or 4 feet diameter)
and mount them on the ceiling. But this bladeless model looks like a
real solution if it pans out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 06:59:16 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

That's a really cool fan (no pun). I see a wonderful opportunity for an
artist or drunk crackhead to paint the ceiling or the whole room. All
the idiot would have to do is slosh a bucket of paint into the center of
the fan and the room would be spray painted. I really don't think that
fan would be a good choice for a Section 8 house. If a drunk crackhead
can find a way to destroy or damage something, they're going to find it.
o_O

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster

It's entirely possible but ......

:-(

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 1:56:29 PM UTC-5, Sam wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 16:06:12 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

I believe a line of heavy duty residential
products should be manufactured and marketed as,"Section 8 Proof". O_o

[8~{} Uncle Broken Monster

I can sure get behind that.

In general, product quality has fallen so far in the last 30 years that
making comparisons is difficult. I can buy "economy" products today that
will not perform their intended function right out the box. Products of
"luxury" class today are equal to what was ordinary quality 30 years ago.

A time when stuff like that was made in U.S.A.?

You could always try a building salvage company and see if they have some of those ceiling fans like were in my school in the middle of the last century before schools were air conditioned. Only problem is that decorators snap that kind of stuff up and pay premium prices. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Nostalgic Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 2:01:38 PM UTC-5, Sam wrote:
[...]

An electric stove I presume? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Stove Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 2:08:49 PM UTC-5, Sam wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 08:09:06 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

What about a bladeless fan? https://exhalefans.com/index.php

Expensive at $475 each.

Wow. Thanks Don!

$475 is not expensive if it really works and is durable. I'm going to
see if I can find reviews this afternoon.

I spend several hours yesterday seeking solutions. I ended up thinking I
was going to buy some large, floor-model drum fans (3 or 4 feet diameter)
and mount them on the ceiling. But this bladeless model looks like a
real solution if it pans out.

The whole thing spins and sucks air in from the center. Imagine a drunk crackhead tossing beer or some other crap into the center of the fan. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Warped Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 00:59:44 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

An electric stove I presume? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Stove Monster

Yes; regular 220V household quality.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 01:03:13 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

The whole thing spins and sucks air in from the center. Imagine a drunk
crackhead tossing beer or some other crap into the center of the fan.
o_O

[8~{} Uncle Warped Monster

Y'know .... I've had really poor people walk up to a new screen door and
poke holes in the fiberglass screen with a glowing cigarette. Lol, I can
just imagine in my mind what you are saying.

I might just try mounting a large drum fan on the ceiling (modified,
painted and trimmed) and use a fan controller for speed control.
Everything from a quiet woosh to hurricane Katrina in your living room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 11, 2015 at 8:42:52 AM UTC-5, Sam wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 01:03:13 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

The whole thing spins and sucks air in from the center. Imagine a drunk
crackhead tossing beer or some other crap into the center of the fan.
o_O

[8~{} Uncle Warped Monster

Y'know .... I've had really poor people walk up to a new screen door and
poke holes in the fiberglass screen with a glowing cigarette. Lol, I can
just imagine in my mind what you are saying.

I might just try mounting a large drum fan on the ceiling (modified,
painted and trimmed) and use a fan controller for speed control.
Everything from a quiet woosh to hurricane Katrina in your living room.

I've seen them complain that they don't have money for diapers and baby food but they always seem to have money for cigarettes and booze. Perhaps a requirement for receiving welfare should be birth control? It should be something reversible if per chance the unfortunate person on welfare gets training or education so they can get a job that pays more than welfare. But, there is something else to consider, Moonbat Economics. ^_^

http://moonbattery.com/?p=60444

[8~{} Uncle Work Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 13:42:46 +0000 (UTC), Sam wrote
in

I might just try mounting a large drum fan on the ceiling (modified,
painted and trimmed) and use a fan controller for speed control.
Everything from a quiet woosh to hurricane Katrina in your living room.

What about just not having any ceiling fans? The tenants can buy
their own small table fans like this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-...0-WMT/16503230

if that want one.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 10:07:37 -0500, CRNG wrote:

What about just not having any ceiling fans? The tenants can buy their
own small table fans like this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-...irculator-Fan-

HT-900-WMT/16503230

Excellent idea. A lot of people have followed that path.

I dunno tho ..... I try to provide live-able places. I would not rent
anything I would not live in. I'm just "bent" over the poor quality of
products that can't take abuse ..... it's not like manufacturers don't
know what's happening.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/11/2015 11:14 AM, Sam wrote:

I dunno tho ..... I try to provide live-able places. I would not rent
anything I would not live in. I'm just "bent" over the poor quality of
products that can't take abuse ..... it's not like manufacturers don't
know what's happening.....

It's the Harbor Freight Syndrome, cheapest China price gets the sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 10:07:37 -0500, CRNG wrote:

What about just not having any ceiling fans? The tenants can buy
their own small table fans like this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-...0-WMT/16503230

That's a very useful fan. I have several. I only have a ceiling fan above
my bed. They are the same price at Amazon, with free shipping when the
order is over $35.