Paul

Default Ducted range hood / microwave combo ?

I currently have an over-the-range microwave with the built in "range hood"
that just basically sucks the smoke up and blows it back out over your head.
Very noisy and relatively useless, IMHO. I have an old unused chimney
right behind the stove that would be very convenient to run a duct to. Is
there an OTR Microwave with a ducted hood out there? Or another way to put
some kind of "low profile" ducted hood under a regular OTR microwave?

Thanks.

-- Paul

default

Paul wrote:

I currently have an over-the-range microwave with the built in "range hood"
that just basically sucks the smoke up and blows it back out over your head.
Very noisy and relatively useless, IMHO. I have an old unused chimney
right behind the stove that would be very convenient to run a duct to. Is
there an OTR Microwave with a ducted hood out there? Or another way to put
some kind of "low profile" ducted hood under a regular OTR microwave?

I'm not sure you want to put a stove-vent into a normal chimney.
If it's really unused, it won't be much of a fire hazard, but the eventual
grease build up will feed an interesting array of flora and fauna.

Frank K.

"Paul" wrote in message
I currently have an over-the-range microwave with the

built in "range hood"
that just basically sucks the smoke up and blows it back

out over your head.
Very noisy and relatively useless, IMHO. I have an old

unused chimney
right behind the stove that would be very convenient to

run a duct to. Is
there an OTR Microwave with a ducted hood out there? Or

another way to put
some kind of "low profile" ducted hood under a regular OTR

microwave?

Thanks.

-- Paul

My OTR microwave/range hood allows for either ducted or
ductless installation. Check your installation instructions.
If you don't have them, contact the manufacturer. As another
responded, be aware of the problems concerning grease
build-up in the chimney.

Frank

Colbyt

"Frank K." wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with Frank. I have never seen one that wasn't convertiable. Maybe
some of the newer low end units can't be. I suggest running a liner up the
chimney if you go that route. Also check local codes.

Colbyt

jeff

"Paul" wrote in message ...
I currently have an over-the-range microwave with the built in "range hood"
that just basically sucks the smoke up and blows it back out over your head.
Very noisy and relatively useless, IMHO. I have an old unused chimney
right behind the stove that would be very convenient to run a duct to. Is
there an OTR Microwave with a ducted hood out there? Or another way to put
some kind of "low profile" ducted hood under a regular OTR microwave?

Thanks.

-- Paul

Hi,

Normally shouldn't vent into a chimney. Most OTR microwaves can be
recirculated ( like yours is now ), vented up or vented out the back.
http://www.applianceaid.com/otr1.html
This may help...shows turning the blower to different directions for
the venting options.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Curmudgeon

ALL over the range microwaves are capable of outside ducting. Take yours
down and you'll see that whoever installed it CHOSE to make it
recirculating. The duct connections are there, they just need to "opened".

"Paul" wrote in message
I currently have an over-the-range microwave with the built in "range

hood"
that just basically sucks the smoke up and blows it back out over your

head.
Very noisy and relatively useless, IMHO. I have an old unused chimney
right behind the stove that would be very convenient to run a duct to. Is
there an OTR Microwave with a ducted hood out there? Or another way to

put
some kind of "low profile" ducted hood under a regular OTR microwave?

Thanks.

-- Paul

Lost-In-Translation

On a related subject - I get hot attic air that comes down into my kitchen
through the range hood duct, which is supposed to be vented through the
roof. Is that normal, or do I have a break somewhere in my ductwork? I
hate like hell to think of crawling into that hot attic!