Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas grill rebuild

I have a Brinkmann 4-burner propane grill.

I replaced the ignitor and the ignitor burner lights fine.

But the others do not, I have to use a lighter for those.

Second item.

The flames coming out of the burners are uneven, so I think they need to be replaced.

I can not find the model number on the grill.
Anyone know where they have the model no. hidden. :-)

Is it worth buying 4 more burners or go for a new grill ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

I have a Brinkmann 4-burner propane grill.

I replaced the ignitor and the ignitor burner lights fine.

But the others do not, I have to use a lighter for those.

Second item.

The flames coming out of the burners are uneven, so I think they need to be replaced.

I can not find the model number on the grill.
Anyone know where they have the model no. hidden. :-)

Is it worth buying 4 more burners or go for a new grill ?

For the average grill, the burners get replaced many times before
the grill gives out.

The sizes of the burners are somewhat standardized.
You don't necessarily need the model number.

If you have the standard "H" shaped burner, just go out
and buy a new one.

My grill is natural gas. I need one that's designed for
natural gas, but otherwise, it's generic.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/16/2015 8:35 PM, Andy wrote:

Second item.

The flames coming out of the burners are uneven, so I think they need to be replaced.

I can not find the model number on the grill.
Anyone know where they have the model no. hidden. :-)

Is it worth buying 4 more burners or go for a new grill ?

Usually cheaper to rebuild. Burners burn out and corrode over time and
are easily replaced. Measure them or take a photo to the store with you
to get the right ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 7:36:00 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I have a Brinkmann 4-burner propane grill.

I replaced the ignitor and the ignitor burner lights fine.

But the others do not, I have to use a lighter for those.

Second item.

The flames coming out of the burners are uneven, so I think they need to be replaced.

I can not find the model number on the grill.
Anyone know where they have the model no. hidden. :-)

Is it worth buying 4 more burners or go for a new grill ?

Brinkman's should have stainless steel burners, so they shouldn't rust out...maybe take them out and clean them with oven cleaner and make sure all burner holes are open.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 8:47:00 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 7:36:00 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I have a Brinkmann 4-burner propane grill.

I replaced the ignitor and the ignitor burner lights fine.

But the others do not, I have to use a lighter for those.

Second item.

The flames coming out of the burners are uneven, so I think they need to be replaced.

I can not find the model number on the grill.
Anyone know where they have the model no. hidden. :-)

Is it worth buying 4 more burners or go for a new grill ?

Brinkman's should have stainless steel burners, so they shouldn't rust out...maybe take them out and clean them with oven cleaner and make sure all burner holes are open.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brinkmann-81...-/371267389870

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:

Is it worth buying 4 more burners or go for a new grill ?

If you are to the point of replacing parts, I'd buy a new grill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
I have a Brinkmann 4-burner propane grill.

I replaced the ignitor and the ignitor burner lights fine.

But the others do not, I have to use a lighter for those.

Second item.

The flames coming out of the burners are uneven, so I
think they need
to be replaced.

I can not find the model number on the grill.
Anyone know where they have the model no. hidden. :-)

Is it worth buying 4 more burners or go for a new grill ?

replace parts is cheap and ya never even have to leave your
house
http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/gasgrillparts/
redid mine last year and it'll be good for another 5-10 yrs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/16/2015 7:35 PM, Andy wrote:
I have a Brinkmann 4-burner propane grill.

I replaced the ignitor and the ignitor burner lights fine.

But the others do not, I have to use a lighter for those.

Second item.

The flames coming out of the burners are uneven, so I think they need to be replaced.

I can not find the model number on the grill.
Anyone know where they have the model no. hidden. :-)

Is it worth buying 4 more burners or go for a new grill ?

I've had my made in the USA aluminum-cast housing gas grill since the
early 1990s and I'm not gonna give it up. The company that made it is
long out of business (thanks to Al Dunlap) but I stockpiled
replacement parts when I could get them, and now order them from Music
City Metals in Nashville, who manufacture gas grill replacement parts.
Check them out:
http://www.musiccitymetals.net/catalog/index.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 11:53:39 PM UTC-4, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
Andy wrote:

Is it worth buying 4 more burners or go for a new grill ?

If you are to the point of replacing parts, I'd buy a new grill.

I'd say it depends on the condition of the whole thing, how
old it is, and what the cost of the replacement parts are.
Typically besides the burners, the flame spreader bars go too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-17, trader_4 wrote:

Typically besides the burners, the flame spreader bars go too.

Whatever happened to lava rocks?

This spreader bar technology is bogus compared to good ol' lava rocks.
I hadda cheapo bbq ('80s) that came with lava rocks, but not enough of
them. With the single burner on max, the temp would barely get high enough
to cook chicken parts. So, I doubled the amt of lava rocks. Usta be
you could buy 'em anywhere. It worked! The lava rocks would absorb,
then radiate, the accumulated heat. With twice the rocks, they would
absorb twice the heat b4 radiating said heat to grillables. Now that
Weber went all "spreader bars", lava rocks have all but disappeared
from the shelves of big stores like Walmart (we have one of those).

Where can one buy lava rocks, anymore? I'm somewhat remote, so no
Lowe's or HDs, here. Do ornamental rock vendors sell lava rock?

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-17, trader_4 wrote:

Typically besides the burners, the flame spreader bars go too.

Whatever happened to lava rocks?

Lava rocks have fallen out of favor because they did just what they
were advertised to do - smoke your food by heating fat droppings to a
very high temperature which then smoked. That helped flavor the food,
but some believe heating meat fat until it smokes creates cancer
causing molecules that end up in you. I don't know how much of a
problem that really is, but it is why you don't see many lava rocks in
grills these days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lava rocks have fallen out of favor because they did just what they
were advertised to do - smoke your food by heating fat droppings to a
very high temperature which then smoked. That helped flavor the food,
but some believe heating meat fat until it smokes creates cancer
causing molecules that end up in you. I don't know how much of a
problem that really is, but it is why you don't see many lava rocks in
grills these days.

no different than smoke from those bars.

I have my moms old gas grill with lava rocks, i have taken it apart and put many of the parts in my self cleaning oven on a short cleaning cycle, even the lava rocks.

my old gas grill bought early 80s works far better than new ones sold today. i am thinking of getting a old friend with a machineshop to make me a forever burner for it.

stanless comes in both magnetic, it rusts, and NON magnetic THAT NEVER RUSTS.

most gas grills made today are magneticstainless, they still rust but calling it stainless creates sales

i have replaced the burner perhaps 20 or more times over the years
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 17:35:55 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

The flames coming out of the burners are uneven, so I think they need to be replaced.

Inspect the burners for crud over the holes. Clear them using a stiff
wire or a drill bit of the proper size.

When I bought my Jeen-Air grill 10 years ago, I followed some tips
from an article. Take a magnet when you shop. It won't stick to
quality stainless steel grates, cabinet or brass (no rusting out)
burners.

I clean mine with a power washer with grates and burners removed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 10:58:19 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
Lava rocks have fallen out of favor because they did just what they
were advertised to do - smoke your food by heating fat droppings to a
very high temperature which then smoked. That helped flavor the food,
but some believe heating meat fat until it smokes creates cancer
causing molecules that end up in you. I don't know how much of a
problem that really is, but it is why you don't see many lava rocks in
grills these days.

no different than smoke from those bars.

I guess the theory is that withh rocks there is more area for the
fat to hit compared to the flames spreader bars. But how much
difference that really makes, who knows. Plus I thought the big
issue with the possible carcinogens was from actually charring the
meat, I don't recall hearing that the smoke was the main culprit.

I have my moms old gas grill with lava rocks, i have taken it apart and put many of the parts in my self cleaning oven on a short cleaning cycle, even the lava rocks.

my old gas grill bought early 80s works far better than new ones sold today. i am thinking of getting a old friend with a machineshop to make me a forever burner for it.

I had a weber, bought long time ago. It lasted
a long time, 10+ years When it finally went, I decided to try replacing
it with one that cost less than half what a Weber would have
cost. It's a Charmglow or Charmbroil, can't remember which. The
theory was that if it lasts even half as long, then maybe it's
a better value, you get a new grill sooner, etc. Well, it only
lasted about 3 years before the burners and bars were shot. Even
worse, and what I wasn't expecting, the heat distribution was very
uneven. Weber was very uniform. So, bottom line is I think Weber
is worth the higher price. But then I haven't bought one recently,
so IDK if the Weber today is the same quality as ones from the past.
Anyone have recent experience?

Also, the talk about lave rocks got me thinking. If you have
a grill where the heat is uneven, I wonder if using rocks would
even it out?

And on the smoke flavoring the meat from rocks, I saw a recent
taste test of a bunch of the widely available burgers. Burger
King won on flavor. And while BK isn't my typical choice for
a burger, I have to say that there burgers do have a taste like
they came off a charcoal grill. IDK how exactly they cook
them, they say they are flame broiled. I recall years ago they
had a conveyor that took them through a broiler. Whatever
they are doing, it does give their burgers a different taste.
But maybe they are putting some secret flavoring on it that's
a factor too, IDK.

stanless comes in both magnetic, it rusts, and NON magnetic THAT NEVER RUSTS.

most gas grills made today are magneticstainless, they still rust but calling it stainless creates sales

i have replaced the burner perhaps 20 or more times over the years

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-17, trader_4 wrote:

Also, the talk about lave rocks got me thinking. If you have
a grill where the heat is uneven, I wonder if using rocks would
even it out?

It did, in my case. This on an old '80s Char-Broil (is the name yer
looking for) w/ lava rocks and a single long burner. We currently
have a steel drum converted to an old style grill. Has some rocks,
but not enough, which is the reason I was asking about them. Since
no-one is still making lava rock grills, no longer see bags o' rocks
on the grilling accessories shelf.

And while BK isn't my typical choice for a burger, I have to say
that there burgers do have a taste like they came off a charcoal
grill.

While they may taste good, I suspect the burger meat is less than top
shelf. We usta get a Whopper Jr fer $1!. Came with real lettuce,
real onion, and real tomato. Problems was, I got annoying indigestion
within minutes of eating one. Finally, the price of a Jr went up to
about $2.50 and then our local BK jes up and closed. According to the
small local paper, the owner jes got tired of the entire mess and let
his permit(?) expire. We lost our only KFC/TB franchise the same
Summer (last). So much for the allegedly rebounding economy.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 writes:
[...]

I've never regretted purchasing a Weber Genesis Silver in 1994, when
my charbroil rusted to pieces.

I've replaced the burners once, the flavoriser bars once, and the
igniter once. And I still use it almost every day; I suspect it
to last another 25 years. Noticed one at the curb the other day
and snagged the rotisserie attachment for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The flames coming out of the burners are uneven, so I think they need to be replaced.

Inspect the burners for crud over the holes. Clear them using a stiff
wire or a drill bit of the proper size.

When I bought my Jeen-Air grill 10 years ago, I followed some tips
from an article. Take a magnet when you shop. It won't stick to
quality stainless steel grates, cabinet or brass (no rusting out)
burners.

I clean mine with a power washer with grates and burners removed.

My first gas grill with an aluminum body must have lasted 30 years
through numerous change of burners and grates. Iron parts like legs
finally rusted out and I scraped it.

New grill also has an aluminum body and I figure it will outlive me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-17, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Noticed one at the curb the other day and snagged the rotisserie
attachment for it.

That's the spirit!!

Recycle that perfectly good hardware instead of tossing it and buying
new. I jes shelved the idea of a new Hitachi impact/driver when my
pro carpenter buddy gave me his older Hitachi 12V imp/drvr. Seems to
work good enough for this old DIY geezer. I went out and tightened a
buncha screws in my ancient deck. Sucker drove a 2-1/2" deck screw
like it was made to. Love it!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-17, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Noticed one at the curb the other day and snagged the rotisserie
attachment for it.

That's the spirit!!

Recycle that perfectly good hardware instead of tossing it and buying
new. I jes shelved the idea of a new Hitachi impact/driver when my
pro carpenter buddy gave me his older Hitachi 12V imp/drvr. Seems to
work good enough for this old DIY geezer. I went out and tightened a
buncha screws in my ancient deck. Sucker drove a 2-1/2" deck screw
like it was made to. Love it!

nb

Ryobi drill/driver ($10@garage sald); Drill press ($20@GS); Corded Craftsman (USA made, $5@ReStore); Craftsman Sander/Polisher (USA $5@GS).
Another satisfied geezer! (our wireless router $5 from Goodwill and re-flashed with DD-WRT)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2015 10:35 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Also, the talk about lave rocks got me thinking. If you have a
grill where the heat is uneven, I wonder if using rocks would even
it out?

I use grill bricks - perforated ceramic bricks - and they help even
things out quite a lot. In one corner of the grill, I arrange just a
few with wide gaps between them, in order to have a hotter spot for
quick browning/finishing.

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors...17-c-10141.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2015 11:35 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I had a weber, bought long time ago. It lasted
a long time, 10+ years When it finally went, I decided to try replacing
it with one that cost less than half what a Weber would have
cost. It's a Charmglow or Charmbroil, can't remember which. The
theory was that if it lasts even half as long, then maybe it's
a better value, you get a new grill sooner, etc. Well, it only
lasted about 3 years before the burners and bars were shot. Even
worse, and what I wasn't expecting, the heat distribution was very
uneven. Weber was very uniform. So, bottom line is I think Weber
is worth the higher price. But then I haven't bought one recently,
so IDK if the Weber today is the same quality as ones from the past.
Anyone have recent experience?

Went through a few grills and finally bought a Vermont Castings and it
was great. Until it rusted out at all the bolt holes in the porcelain
coated parts.

Four years ago I bought a Weber Summit, stainless steel. Great so far.
Wish I bought a Weber years ago.

I bought it from East Coast TV in New Jersey. It was $400 cheaper
(delivered) than any of the local stores.
http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Weber-BB...-p/7170001.htm
Amazon has it too, as well as others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 7:42:06 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I replaced a burner.

But when lit, only the front 1/2 of the burner lights unless I manually light the back half.

What does the screen do in the front ?

I noticed that it can be adjusted to let in more air.

I have it set halfway open.

Would closing it force more gas to the back of the burner ?

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 11:32:15 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
[...]

Answer was to adjust the air shutter. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z78D0K88fA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 09:43:23 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

Answer was to adjust the air shutter. :-)

You want the brightest blue flames - a little tweaking.

Yellow / Orange flames is not as efficient, fuel not burning
completely.