Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Gas grill rebuild

On 2015-06-17, trader_4 wrote:

Typically besides the burners, the flame spreader bars go too.

Whatever happened to lava rocks?

This spreader bar technology is bogus compared to good ol' lava rocks.
I hadda cheapo bbq ('80s) that came with lava rocks, but not enough of
them. With the single burner on max, the temp would barely get high enough
to cook chicken parts. So, I doubled the amt of lava rocks. Usta be
you could buy 'em anywhere. It worked! The lava rocks would absorb,
then radiate, the accumulated heat. With twice the rocks, they would
absorb twice the heat b4 radiating said heat to grillables. Now that
Weber went all "spreader bars", lava rocks have all but disappeared
from the shelves of big stores like Walmart (we have one of those).

Where can one buy lava rocks, anymore? I'm somewhat remote, so no
Lowe's or HDs, here. Do ornamental rock vendors sell lava rock?

nb