Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Memory is a strange thing. Smart phone story

Memory is a strange thing.

I'm reviewing the instructions for my smart phone, partly because I'm
going out of town for a few days and I'll be using it.

I get to the part about Switching between calls, when a second call
comes in. And immediately I remember the only time that's ever
happened, at least 5 years ago. And where I was at the time, the
Flushing YMCA, and where in the building I was at the time, 30 feet from
the door.

Come to think, I didn't have a smart phone then. The instructions for
the smart phone seem to have three steps instead of one, like the simple
phone. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 10:03:02 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
Memory is a strange thing.

I'm reviewing the instructions for my smart phone, partly because I'm
going out of town for a few days and I'll be using it.

I get to the part about Switching between calls, when a second call
comes in. And immediately I remember the only time that's ever
happened, at least 5 years ago. And where I was at the time, the
Flushing YMCA, and where in the building I was at the time, 30 feet from
the door.

Come to think, I didn't have a smart phone then. The instructions for
the smart phone seem to have three steps instead of one, like the simple
phone. .

one night i pulled up to a red light and the brake pedal went to the floor.

how wierd, i felt this had happended before.......

drove carefully to garage, hey isv this under warranty?

yes it is just over a year ago we replaced your master cyclinder. its failed again, they covered it under warranty
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 May 2015 07:32:44 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

[...]

My "Brake" light has gone on a couple times. It goes off soon, but I
have the feeling I need a new master cylinder too.

I keep forgetting to check the fluid level, leaking at the wheels.
Maybe today I'll remember.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2015 1:41 PM, micky wrote:

My "Brake" light has gone on a couple times. It goes off soon, but I
have the feeling I need a new master cylinder too.

I keep forgetting to check the fluid level, leaking at the wheels.
Maybe today I'll remember.

Might prolong your life, if you remember.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

as the pads wear they have more room to move and the fluid level drops.

proably time for new pads, may be no fluid leak at all

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Sat, 09 May 2015 22:02:55 -0400, micky
wrote:

Memory is a strange thing.

I'm reviewing the instructions for my smart phone, partly because I'm
going out of town for a few days and I'll be using it.

I get to the part about Switching between calls, when a second call
comes in. And immediately I remember the only time that's ever
happened, at least 5 years ago. And where I was at the time, the
Flushing YMCA, and where in the building I was at the time, 30 feet from
the door.

Come to think, I didn't have a smart phone then. The instructions for
the smart phone seem to have three steps instead of one, like the simple
phone. .

Are you Korean? I used to go to that Y but gave it up a few years back
because I was the only one who spoke English. And parking was a royal
pain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Memory is a strange thing.

I'm reviewing the instructions for my smart phone, partly because I'm
going out of town for a few days and I'll be using it.

I get to the part about Switching between calls, when a second call
comes in. And immediately I remember the only time that's ever
happened, at least 5 years ago. And where I was at the time, the
Flushing YMCA, and where in the building I was at the time, 30 feet from
the door.

Come to think, I didn't have a smart phone then. The instructions for
the smart phone seem to have three steps instead of one, like the simple
phone. .

Thats the reason I stick to using a simple phone. Those smart phones are
made for the younger generation who think they need all those extra
buttons, spend their entire life on the phone, and spend most of their
earnings to pay for all those minutes and apps they use.

To me, a phone is for making phone calls. A computer is for the
internet. And when the youngsters shove their phone in my face and tell
me to watch some video, all I see is a postage stamp with something
moving on it's face.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 8:50:34 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thank you for considering me part of the younger generation. I'll be
70 in a few months and I use a smart phone.

Ed, I too will be 70 (in Aug)...I don't see any sense, for me, to have a smart phone. I hardly use my flip-phone...but I still have 2 kids in school.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 10:29:58 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 8:50:34 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thank you for considering me part of the younger generation. I'll be
70 in a few months and I use a smart phone.

Ed, I too will be 70 (in Aug)...I don't see any sense, for me, to have a smart phone. I hardly use my flip-phone...but I still have 2 kids in school.

well i use my flip phone constantly, mostly for phone, and a little texting

i prefer the flip, so its hard to damage, and if lost, stolen. or destroyed under 15 bucks to replace

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 May 2015 20:22:54 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 10:29:58 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 8:50:34 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thank you for considering me part of the younger generation. I'll be
70 in a few months and I use a smart phone.

Ed, I too will be 70 (in Aug)...I don't see any sense, for me, to have a smart phone. I hardly use my flip-phone...but I still have 2 kids in school.

well i use my flip phone constantly, mostly for phone, and a little texting

i prefer the flip, so its hard to damage, and if lost, stolen. or destroyed under 15 bucks to replace

Well I'm older than both you guys and I can't imagine how I ever got
along without my smartphone.

Besides calling there's texting the grandkids/greatgrandkids who would
never think of chatting with me in any other way.
Email
Banking
Reading
Complete 2000+ family photos to bore people with
Camera both video and regular
Mp3 music player
Browsers for keeping up with news when out
Maps including point to point voice directions
Flashlight
Calculator
Calendar
WiFi hotspot for when others in party don't have service (especially
T-Mobile)
Internet radio - stations from around the world

All that and more in a gadget that fits in my pocket. Amazing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

here's a good app for you and Ed, then
http://www.cmcm.com/en-us/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 12:57:20 AM UTC-5, J0HNS0N wrote:

Well I'm older than both you guys and I can't imagine how I ever got
along without my smartphone.

"Both" is superfluous...individuals should be focused on their surroundings...not their smart device. They have become TOO important...
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:

[...]

That's an amazing list considering that you didn't include the #1
reason, games.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 9:50:34 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2015 15:06:40 -0500, wrote:

Thats the reason I stick to using a simple phone. Those smart phones are
made for the younger generation who think they need all those extra
buttons, spend their entire life on the phone, and spend most of their
earnings to pay for all those minutes and apps they use.

To me, a phone is for making phone calls. A computer is for the
internet. And when the youngsters shove their phone in my face and tell
me to watch some video, all I see is a postage stamp with something
moving on it's face.

Thank you for considering me part of the younger generation. I'll be
70 in a few months and I use a smart phone.

Yes, I've lived without one for years, but now that I have one, it
simplifies my life in a few ways. It saves me a trip to the bank, for
instance, to deposit a check. I do it with the phone.

Today at work I had the guys working on a project to repair some
damage. I was able to snap a photo and show it to the owner rather
than have him walk down to see it.

Tonight I was writing a letter and looked up a zip code. I know when
UPS or FedX delivers packages to me. Used properly, it has real
value.

All the apps on my phone were free too.

I think a big part of this is that without actually using
one, you don't realize how useful they can be. My two main
uses are for internet access when away from the house and
for some internet access within the house, eg checking
emails or news while watching TV. Away from the house
a good example is if I'm at say HD, find a product of
interest or more likely that they don't have it,
and I want to find out if Walmart, Lowes has it, or
has it at a better price. You can also go to the
manufacturer's website for information to make a purchase
decision. Or if it's 6PM, you can pull up the hours
of some store and see what time they close. Waiting
for an email from someone? You can check it while away.
Away from the house, getting near dinner time and
want to know if there are any dinner specials at
some restaurants, just pull it up.
The GasGuru app shows me a map with the lowest gas prices
in the area that I'm in. Like you, I haven't found the
need to pay for any apps.

When I first started using mine, I was really impressed
with how much you can do on such a small device.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob_villa wrote:

J0HNS0N wrote:

Well I'm older than both you guys and I can't imagine how I ever got
along without my smartphone.

"Both" is superfluous...

Usenet English cops are assholes. Did I get that sentence right?

individuals should be focused on their surroundings...not their smart device.

Yes mother.

They have become TOO important...

Spoken like one who has never used one...or can't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:

J0HNS0N wrote:

[...]

I never was a gamer. But I would have thought that social media was
#1.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 May 2015 08:27:36 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I haven't found the
need to pay for any apps.

On apps I use a lot like my Maple mp3 player I go ahead and cough up
the buck to get rid of the garish banner advertising. IMO it's well
worth the money. YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

#1.

He was attempting to inject some humor...too bad you didn't catch that old timer!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/11/2015 10:22 PM, bob haller wrote:

[snip]

well i use my flip phone constantly, mostly for phone, and a little texting

i prefer the flip, so its hard to damage, and if lost, stolen. or destroyed under 15 bucks to replace

And it's hard for your pocket to make calls.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I respect faith, but doubt is what gives you an education." [Wilson
Mizner]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/12/2015 09:15 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 12:57:20 AM UTC-5, J0HNS0N wrote:

Well I'm older than both you guys and I can't imagine how I ever got
along without my smartphone.

"Both" is superfluous...individuals should be focused on their surroundings...not their smart device. They have become TOO important...

I got a box of candy this Valentine's Day, with the message "I love you
more than my phone.".

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I respect faith, but doubt is what gives you an education." [Wilson
Mizner]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

well i use my flip phone constantly, mostly for phone, and a little texting

i prefer the flip, so its hard to damage, and if lost, stolen. or destroyed
under 15 bucks to replace

Thats all I have. Prepaid flip phone. I rarely use it, but it is handy
at times to call someone when I'm not at home. I do send and get some
texts too. It does have a built in browser, but it's very limited. It
cant open a page on ebay or craigslist, but it can load a very simple
webpage. It works well to get a weather report and radar maps, and that
is all I really use it for anyhow. I like that feature so I can monitor
the radar maps during bad storms. That alone was worth the price about 2
years ago, when I was camping near a river which was flooding. One look
at that radar map, and I knew it was time to pack up and evacuate the
area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I haven't found the
need to pay for any apps.

On apps I use a lot like my Maple mp3 player I go ahead and cough up
the buck to get rid of the garish banner advertising. IMO it's well
worth the money. YMMV.

I can see that, if the app has ads. So far, the apps I've loaded,
haven't had that problem. I guess it depends on the particular app.

Apps I have a

GasGuru
Holo Bulb (flashlight)
Shush Ringer Restorer
Cocktail Flow (really cool, has recipes, and you tell it what booze
you have available and it will tell you what cocktails you can make)
RPN Calculator
ConvertPad (unit conversion, metric etc)
Wifi File Xfer
Dropbox
Accuweather
Ebay
Compass360
PowerBubble (level)
SpeedTest
YouTube
SuperBackup
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 11:29:40 AM UTC-5, J0HNS0N wrote:

...if you use the right map app (Google or CoPilot for example) most of
the other map functions will work without cell service and are quite
handy when hiking and camping in the wilderness.

Since they're not a receiver of a GPS satellite signal...how could they give your position without interface to a cell tower?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 2:34:37 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 11:29:40 AM UTC-5, J0HNS0N wrote:

...if you use the right map app (Google or CoPilot for example) most of
the other map functions will work without cell service and are quite
handy when hiking and camping in the wilderness.

Since they're not a receiver of a GPS satellite signal...how could they give your position without interface to a cell tower?

Smartphones do have a GPS receiver built in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you don't already, you might want to save your apps current
versions before updating them. In more than one case I've had to go
back to a prior version because the update added advertising along
with the new 'features'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have to admit, I've never understood a lot of internet
economics. Those apps I have are all free and I don't understand
how their free stuff makes them any money, with the exception of
Ebay of course. I guess Youtube has ads when you watch the videos,
just like the regular version, so there's that. But apps like
Powerbubble, ConvertPad, etc, I have no idea how or if they make
money. Some of them do offer versions that cost $1 that have
extra features. But in every case with what I do, those extra
things aren't worth it. An example is Touchpal, the keyboard I
use. It's free. For extra you get some different color skins
for the keys kind of stuff. I guess that floats some folk's boat,
but I doubt I'd use it if it were free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2015 7:39 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I have to admit, I've never understood a lot of internet
economics. Those apps I have are all free and I don't understand
how their free stuff makes them any money, with the exception of
Ebay of course. I guess Youtube has ads when you watch the videos,
just like the regular version, so there's that. But apps like
Powerbubble, ConvertPad, etc, I have no idea how or if they make
money. Some of them do offer versions that cost $1 that have
extra features. But in every case with what I do, those extra
things aren't worth it.

I use Google frequently but have never paid them a penny, yet they seem
to have lots of money. I also ignore the ads, but evidently others don't.

Plenty of good apps for phones too that are free, some ad supported, but
it is easy to ignore them too. I guess it all works though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/13/2015 7:39 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I have to admit, I've never understood a lot of internet
economics. Those apps I have are all free and I don't understand
how their free stuff makes them any money, with the exception of
Ebay of course. I guess Youtube has ads when you watch the videos,
just like the regular version, so there's that. But apps like
Powerbubble, ConvertPad, etc, I have no idea how or if they make
money. Some of them do offer versions that cost $1 that have
extra features. But in every case with what I do, those extra
things aren't worth it.

I use Google frequently but have never paid them a penny, yet they seem
to have lots of money. I also ignore the ads, but evidently others don't.

Plenty of good apps for phones too that are free, some ad supported, but
it is easy to ignore them too. I guess it all works though.

Don't outfits like Google peddle their market research to advertisers?
One newspaper I read has ad pop up from time to time.
Eight seconds long with a counter. That doesn't annoy me too much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 9:06:25 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Yes, Google, I can see the revenue stream. For an app like Sush ringer
restorer, or the PowerBubble level, ConvertPad (unit conversion), those, IDK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

Come to think, I didn't have a smart phone then. The instructions for
the smart phone seem to have three steps instead of one, like the simple
phone. .

Doesn't a dialog come up asking what you want to do, either drop the
old call or drop the new call, or put the old call on hold?

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

Those apps I have are all free and I don't understand
how their free stuff makes them any money,

I can only guess that the authors just like to give away their work.
And it's not unheard of in other OSs, especially Linux.

Some of them do offer versions that cost $1 that have
extra features. But in every case with what I do, those extra
things aren't worth it. An example is Touchpal, the keyboard I
use. It's free. For extra you get some different color skins
for the keys kind of stuff. I guess that floats some folk's boat,
but I doubt I'd use it if it were free.

I would have difficulty bringing myself to pay $20 to $99 for Windows
software but I don't mind paying a buck occasionally for an app that I
really enjoy. And I tell myself that since I spend several bucks a day
on sodas, why the heck not...

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 9:06:25 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Don't outfits like Google peddle their market research to advertisers?
One newspaper I read has ad pop up from time to time.
Eight seconds long with a counter. That doesn't annoy me too much.

Yes, Google, I can see the revenue stream. For an app like Sush ringer
restorer, or the PowerBubble level, ConvertPad (unit conversion), those, IDK.

Got it this time. Incidentally, our electronic gadgets have
shortened our attention spans to less than goldfish.
Article from the U.K. Independent: http://tinyurl.com/qd934f8