Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange thing going on.

Here lately we have had the opposite of a power surge. The power takes
a dramatic downward dive. We sleep without air conditioning and use a
small "Patton" fan mainly to create some noise to drown out the trains
and highway traffic. For the last three or four days the fan would
drag down to almost a complete stop. One of us would wake up
immediately and jump up and turn it off.

Last night I decided to do some detective work. So, when it happened,
I just left it along and went through the house turning on lights and
things. Several lights, I'm assuming they are on the same circuit,
were very dim. (we use those curly cue florescent bulbs). Nothing I
did changed the fan speed. This morning I turned the fan on and it ran
fine. I'm wondering if a breaker could overheat and drag the power
down. Also, we have a terrific infestion of fire ants and those damn
crazy rosemary ants (I think that's the name---it's a new discovery
here in south Texas and they are taking over everything so fast it's
unbelievable) But, I've dealt with the ant problem before and this
just doesn't act the same.

I'll be calling the local electrician but before I sprang for that 100
bucks up front, I thought I'd check and see if anyone else has had
this problem and might have an idea what's going on.

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JC" wrote in message
m...
[...]

i'd suspect a leg of your transformer on the power pole out front was going
bad. i'd contact your power provider and ask them to monitor it.

I'll be calling the local electrician but before I sprang for that 100
bucks up front, I thought I'd check and see if anyone else has had this
problem and might have an idea what's going on.

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

JC wrote:
[...]

Might help to know where in the world you are.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 12:55*pm, "JC" wrote:

When a breaker overheats, it trips. If it doesn't trip, the power
stays on at full strength until the house burns down.

Don't assume the lights are all on the same circuit. Verify. Turn all
the same "problem" lights on then go downstairs and flip breakers off,
then back on. If they all go out at once, THEN they're on the same
circuit.

If your house is relatively modern, it's not likely that you will have
fixtures all over the house on the same circuit. As a general rule,
houses are wired room-by-room. Each room has one or two circuits
depending on the number of fixtures and plugs in the room.

You might have a loose wire at the breaker or in one of the boxes in
the circuit. You might have a problem outside the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 1:38*pm, The Daring Dufas wrote:
JC wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Might help to know where in the world you are.

Might help if you read the post more carefully.

"...it's a new discovery here in south Texas"

Posted to alt.home.repair

JC wrote:
[...]

The state tourism board used to run ads on TV saying "Texas, a whole
nother country", but gosh, I didn't know we were that far away. G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 11:55*am, "JC" wrote:
[...]

Could be Power company transmission related, the power co will check
and usualy look at your house for free. Any neighbors nearby on the
same pole, ask them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JC wrote:

Here lately we have had the opposite of a power surge. The power takes
a dramatic downward dive. We sleep without air conditioning and use a
small "Patton" fan mainly to create some noise to drown out the trains
and highway traffic. For the last three or four days the fan would
drag down to almost a complete stop. One of us would wake up
immediately and jump up and turn it off.

Last night I decided to do some detective work. So, when it happened,
I just left it along and went through the house turning on lights and
things. Several lights, I'm assuming they are on the same circuit,
were very dim. (we use those curly cue florescent bulbs). Nothing I
did changed the fan speed. This morning I turned the fan on and it ran
fine. I'm wondering if a breaker could overheat and drag the power
down. Also, we have a terrific infestion of fire ants

Amdro is very, very effective for fire ants here in FL......we don't
broadcast over entire lawn; only sprinkle along walks, pavers and patios
where they concentrate. Haven't really seen hills anywhere else.
Should use when rain is not forecast, and they take the bait to the nest
very quickly. I used it last two days ago where fire ants were livin'
in flower pots on my patio. No sign of them today.

and those damn crazy rosemary ants (I think that's the name---it's a
new discovery here in south Texas and they are taking over everything
so fast it's unbelievable) But, I've dealt with the ant problem before
and this just doesn't act the same.

I'll be calling the local electrician but before I sprang for that 100
bucks up front, I thought I'd check and see if anyone else has had
this problem and might have an idea what's going on.

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 12:55*pm, "JC" wrote:
[...]

Sounds familiar.

If you're confident with a screwdriver...

Kill the main breaker, open the box and tighten all your neutrals.

Might as well do your hots and the grounds while you're in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JC wrote:
[...]

DOUH!! Premature postification, I'll blame it on my
medication. *snicker*

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
news
JC wrote:

[...]

We're on a few hundred acres here and believe me, we've tried it all.
They kill newborn calves so we're very open to anything that might rid
us of them, but that just hasn't come along yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 12:55 pm, "JC" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but as we're only about 50 yards from a major, (30 to 40
trains a day) railway, we're well aware of the loose connection
program. I tighten up the hots the neutrals and even the cabinet
screws at least once a quarter. That's always the first thing I check.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JC" wrote in message
news

"Norminn" wrote in message
news
JC wrote:

[...]

PS: I've alerted the power company and they're on the case. Thanks to
all of you for the suggestions.

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

JC wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message
news
JC wrote:

[...]

I'm a city kid, so forgive my ignorance of ranch life ..... can newborn
calves be confined in a relatively small area? I would assume that
would be ideal.
When my hubby was building manager for our condo, we did lots of pest
fighting -- actually quite
interesting (we're retired). We had lots of lawn work and sprinkler
repairs to do, so being
swarmed by fire ants was definitely negative.......when I was new to
Florida, I did some
nature photography and it seemed the ideal shot was always from atop a
fire ant mound )
Our grounds are roughly 1/2 acre, and treating only the mounds (they
always form along
concrete walks, pavers, patios) seemed to eliminate them entirely.
Working in the yard
so much as we did, we were aware if they were present. One treatment
lasted about a
year. We are on the water, so made sure we minimized use of
insecticides and used
them properly. If the nests aren't disturbed when you sprinkle Amdro
around, you can
see fire ants taking the bait within a minute or two.

Fire ants and carpenter ants seem to take turns in prevalence - got
palms with termite
tunnels and they likely go after the termites. As for the baby calves,
I have read
about nursing home patients being swarmed - IRRC, the home was a real dirty
dump. I knelt down on the grass once, forgetting about fire ants, and
started planting
some border plants..........nasty ants flock onto you before the first
one bites. I
moved very quickly, but got over 100 bites )
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

JC wrote:
[...]

The poster CLEARLY wrote "south Texas".

Posted to alt.home.repair
Li Li is offline

"JC" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Had something like this recently happen to me. It ended up doing $4500
worth of damage to my house, so beware. In my case, the power company's
nuetral line failed at the transformer. Apparently surge protectors can
handle power surges but I only had one survive (well the stuff attached to
it survived, the surge protector melted) the alternating current from a
blown nuetral. Tvs, clock radios, stereos, control boards on the stove,
etc. did not survive. BTW the power company only paid for new surge
protectors, light bulbs (the hi-efficiency ones did not survive), an
electrician, and the stove repair. Everything else came out of my pocket.
I mention that because I am in Texas too and apparently this denial of
damages is part of the deal they made about deregulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote in
:

.

,
we have a terrific infestion of fire ants and those damn crazy
rosemary ants (I think that's the name---it's a new discovery here
in south Texa

and they are taking over everything so fast it's unbelievable) But,
I'v

dealt with the ant problem before and this just doesn't act the
same.

I'll be calling the local electrician but before I sprang for that
100 bucks up front, I thought I'd check and see if anyone else has
had this problem and might have an idea what's going on.

JC

Might help to know where in the world you are.

TDD

The poster CLEARLY wrote "south Texas".

Sortta like saying southern New England. Still could be multiple states.
:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JC" wrote in news:iQ1Tk.147059$F24.26862
@fe08.news.easynews.com:

On Nov 13, 12:55 pm, "JC" wrote:
[...]

Since you said tighten up the hots, I assume that includes that includes
where the main cable attaches to the bars in the box?

Had a relatively new home and that started happening although no where
near your level. Electrician who wired the house said to tighten those
two if I was comfortable with it. Wasn't comfortable with it but did it
anyway and it resolved things. I mean the main may be off and even pulled
but thise cable lugs stay hot unless the meter is pulled...I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JC wrote:
[...]

Don't be too hard on yourself, TDD! I skipped that line entirely myself.

Grammer class 101 tells you not to mix subjects in the same paragraph. I
was reading about turning on and off things to diagnose an electric problem
and then in the same paragraph suddenly I was hearing about ants. Was the
issue ants in the breaker box? Or the fan? Lost me and I gave up!

Posted to alt.home.repair

JC wrote:
[...]

The Irish nuns would pull out the old crank up
telephone generator when we made mistakes. Hell,
the alligator clips on your ears hurt bad enough.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JC" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Sounds like a brown out to me (upstate NY). Since the lights are dim at the
same time the fan runs slowly it doesn't sound like something inside your
house. Perhaps your electric company drops the available power at night
since there's less usage? You might try calling them and explaining the
situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Eventually the ants will just stop eating the Amdro. They didn't live
a 100 million years being dumb enough to fall for that very long.
I don't think I have an ant around here that will eat Amdro, Terro or
any other "sweet" bait.

Imported fire ants haven't been exposed to Amdro for "100 million
years".......who knows, after
killing off lots of them perhaps only "super" fire ants will exist (kind
of like the bacteria/antibiotic
breeding). Terro works great for me ... have used it in my home over
about 40 years. When I have grease
eating ants (going after a tiny speck of shredded cheese), I surround
their tidbit with Terro, they
get to the drops of Terro and soon tell their friends ...... most
Floridians keep all bread and
sweets in fridge because ants are so invasive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Had same problem for two years.Turned out to be bad ground on
transformer on pole.Drove me crazy I just remembered about it when I saw
your post.Also check line comming into breaker panel.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/CARWRECK

Posted to alt.home.repair

Napalm?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JC" wrote in message
news

Amdro is very, very effective for fire ants here in FL......we don't
broadcast over entire lawn;

We're on a few hundred acres here and believe me, we've tried it all.
They kill newborn calves so we're very open to anything that might rid
us of them, but that just hasn't come along yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Napalm?

Amdro is very, very effective for fire ants here in FL......we don't
broadcast over entire lawn;

We're on a few hundred acres here and believe me, we've tried it all.
They kill newborn calves so we're very open to anything that might rid
us of them, but that just hasn't come along yet.

DDT will do it. And yes, you can get it. DDT will kill Fire Ants for a
hundred years after only one application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

The poster CLEARLY wrote "south Texas".

Sortta like saying southern New England. Still could be multiple states.

Right. Could be Texas, Chichuahua, or Coahuila.

-- Doug

What is this thing for? miamicuse Home Repair 16 February 26th 07 01:47 AM
New thing Axe Woodworking 3 January 11th 07 02:32 PM
Buy Something even if its just one thing! BuySmartShopping Home Ownership 0 October 2nd 06 10:06 PM
what is this thing granpaw Metalworking 2 July 28th 05 12:05 AM
What's this leaky thing in my boiler...? - thing.jpg (0/1) fred UK diy 9 August 21st 04 10:51 PM