Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Taking our our trash

This may be a stretch.

We have two trash containers that must be put out on our street each
Thursday. They have two wheels. One is for recyclables, and the other
for waste materials. Until recently, I could use an old 1997 Plymouth
van to put them into the back of the fan, and drive them about 750' out
to the street for a pickup, along with 7 other neighbors. Unfortunately,
the van died. Now I have to roll the containers the 750' down our
driveway and to the collection site where the pickup--paved all the way.
I really don't like rolling to the pickup site.

I've contemplated buying an used pickup truck, but I really have much
for a pickup truck. I've thought of maybe using something like a golf
cart, but it would require some work to put a fixture on it that would
hold the containers. Aside from that, I'm out of space in my garage to
put a golf cart in it. Maybe a motorized wagon might work. Parachutes,
zip lines, ... ? :-)

Comments?
Posted to alt.home.repair

W. eWatson wrote:
[...]

A little trailer for your car? Doesn't need to be licenseable. Or a rope through
a hole inside the trunk that you can tie through the container handle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/14, 12:00 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
[...]

I'd walk. Each round trip would take about 6 minutes.

If I tip my trash can about 30 degrees, I can lean the handle over the
rim of the open trunk of my car. The spare tire is bolted in a well at
the bottom of the trunk. I'd tie the handle to the wheel. I'd avoid
sharp turns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 12:00 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
[...]

Walking is good exercise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:00:37 AM UTC-5, W. eWatson wrote:
[...]

Not only are there golf carts, but there are also similar small
electric vehicles with flat beds, designed for hauling stuff around
that would be more appropriate.
You could check with local golf cart or utility vehicle dealers and
find a used one. But they aren't exactly cheap. You could probably
find a used pickup for less and get even more use out of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2014 11:00 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
[...]

How much more would the trash hauler charge to come up your driveway
and pick up the bins at the garage?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Little unlicensed/off road trailer sounds good.

I sympathize with you watching neighbor out back with similar drive with
maybe 10% downhill grade. He has a teenager doing it but when kids go
away to school, tough job for older man.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

A few here mentioned that walking is good exercise and I agree
completely. My wife and I try to get a walk in nearly every day...and at
age 65 I'm only about 8 pounds heavier than I was when I was 20.

Since you no longer have the pickup truck I'd think you'd have room in
it's place for a small trailer. Since it would not have to be
road-worthy it would not have to be much more than a piece of 1/2"
plywood and some wheels
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

A couple ideas come to mind:
* Maybe one of the neighbors can do the carts,
trade for some thing.
* Do you have a riding lawn mower? That could help.
* atachment of some kind to the back of your car
* Hire neighborhood teens
* Write your congressman, and ask for federal aid
* Contact local military units, and see if they
need exercise and field maneuvers
* Buy the pickup you mention, and offer use of it
to neighbors, to help with the expense

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Leave the bins down there and carry out smaller bags to the bin....if
carrying a bag that far is a problem, get a folding shopping cart (not
the store kind) to roll it down to the bins. Even a child's wagon would
work. I have a nifty garden wagon/dumper that would haul heavier stuff
but not easy on soft surface.

What ever you do, do not PUSH trash cans....my daughter got a compound
fracture of her nose doing that. She was in a hurry to get it out of
the driveway so she could pull her car in, the wheels dug in and she
fell with the rim of the can cutting across the bridge of her nose. The
plastic surgeon dug out pieces of plastic and said she was the third
person he had operated on for the same sort of injury.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 6:50 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Not only are there golf carts, but there are also similar small
electric vehicles with flat beds, designed for hauling stuff around
that would be more appropriate.
You could check with local golf cart or utility vehicle dealers and
find a used one. But they aren't exactly cheap. You could probably
find a used pickup for less and get even more use out of it.

I met a guy who needed a pickup. But they were all
priced out of his range. The guy worked for the
state fire training, so he bought a van which was
much cheaper, and used the auto extrication
equipment at work to cut the top off. Instant
pickup truck. Of course, not many people have
this ability.

With these distances, I'd have to guess the OP or
someone near by has a riding lawn mower. Which can
be fitted with some kind of bracket to get the toters
there and back.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 7:19 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/20/2014 6:50 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Not only are there golf carts, but there are also similar small
electric vehicles with flat beds, designed for hauling stuff around
that would be more appropriate.
You could check with local golf cart or utility vehicle dealers and
find a used one. But they aren't exactly cheap. You could probably
find a used pickup for less and get even more use out of it.

I met a guy who needed a pickup. But they were all
priced out of his range. The guy worked for the
state fire training, so he bought a van which was
much cheaper, and used the auto extrication
equipment at work to cut the top off. Instant
pickup truck. Of course, not many people have
this ability.

Hey, hey, hey! This is a home repair group.

Most have, or have access to, a Milwaukee Sawz-all.

Son, that's not saws some, that's saws ALL!g

It will take longer, no doubt, but if the fireman could do it with the
tools available to him, we could do it with the tools available to us!

Pop a chop blade in a circular saw, get some metal cutting blades for
the Sawz-All and have at it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Taking our our trash and sawing roof off van

I met a guy who needed a pickup. But they were all
priced out of his range. The guy worked for the
state fire training, so he bought a van which was
much cheaper, and used the auto extrication
equipment at work to cut the top off. Instant
pickup truck. Of course, not many people have
this ability.

Hey, hey, hey! This is a home repair group.

Most have, or have access to, a Milwaukee Sawz-all.

Son, that's not saws some, that's saws ALL!g

It will take longer, no doubt, but if the fireman could do it with the
tools available to him, we could do it with the tools available to us!

Pop a chop blade in a circular saw, get some metal cutting blades for
the Sawz-All and have at it.

At risk of being off topic, I put windows in a
work van using a HF metal shear (electric model)
and then pop rivet plexi glass over the openings
I made.

Last week, when I did exhaust work on the same van,
I find that HF brand blades are Saws None, at least
the metal blades. Just smoothed out the teeth and
over heated. Metal cutting blades from Home Depot
did the job. So, if you want a Sawzall, feed it
a real brand of blade like Dewalt. Not a faux saw
blade (faw saw?) like Horrid Fright.

Sad that his OP van died, that's disappointing.

I suspect that garden tractor will be useful, here.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 8:17 AM, Norminn wrote:
What ever you do, do not PUSH trash cans....my daughter got a compound
fracture of her nose doing that. She was in a hurry to get it out of
the driveway so she could pull her car in, the wheels dug in and she
fell with the rim of the can cutting across the bridge of her nose. The
plastic surgeon dug out pieces of plastic and said she was the third
person he had operated on for the same sort of injury.

My condolences to your daughter.

That said,I'd never have thought of that, and you may
have helped a lot of people by writing it to the list.

Maybe the government needs to mandate the companies
post a warning sticker "Do not push trash can while
sleeping or in bath tub with hair dryer energized".

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 8:17 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

To add to thread, I spoke to someone from the UK about what they do.

Like op, I have 2 containers, one for recyclable and one for regular
trash.

Friend in UK says they have about 7 different containers to separate the
recyclables and different pick-up days.

I'd think the whole island would sink under the weight of all these
trash containers

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Modified Golf cart
Trailer for car
Trailer for an ATV
Trailer for a bicycle/tricycle
Walk
Rollerblades/rollerskates

You can use a wagon such as this
http://www.northerntool.com/images/p...22_400x400.jpg
and attach it to almost anything or simply load it with the cans, walk
and pull it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 7:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Last week, when I did exhaust work on the same van,
I find that HF brand blades are Saws None, at least
the metal blades. Just smoothed out the teeth and
over heated. Metal cutting blades from Home Depot
did the job. So, if you want a Sawzall, feed it
a real brand of blade like Dewalt. Not a faux saw
blade (faw saw?) like Horrid Fright.

I figured that out after I bought my Harbor Freight
reciprocating saw. The saw still works just fine,
but I buy blades someplace else.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 9:01 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/20/2014 8:17 AM, Norminn wrote:
What ever you do, do not PUSH trash cans....my daughter got a compound
fracture of her nose doing that. She was in a hurry to get it out of
the driveway so she could pull her car in, the wheels dug in and she
fell with the rim of the can cutting across the bridge of her nose. The
plastic surgeon dug out pieces of plastic and said she was the third
person he had operated on for the same sort of injury.

My condolences to your daughter.

That said,I'd never have thought of that, and you may
have helped a lot of people by writing it to the list.

Maybe the government needs to mandate the companies
post a warning sticker "Do not push trash can while
sleeping or in bath tub with hair dryer energized".

.

I hope you're not serious. No offense to the daughter but her negligence
was due to her hurried agenda. Do we seriously need more government
interventions because a few people fail to view the obvious or common
sense then fall prey to the consequences?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 9:02 AM, Frank wrote:
To add to thread, I spoke to someone from the UK about what they do.

Like op, I have 2 containers, one for recyclable and one for regular trash.

Friend in UK says they have about 7 different containers to separate the
recyclables and different pick-up days.

I'd think the whole island would sink under the weight of all these
trash containers

Thanks, needed the laugh. I guess PC, or politically
correct, has taken hold in UK.

Good thing they are not Guam, one of our US elected
ridicules said that might tip over and sink.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 9:12 AM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

By gosh, I think he's got it! It's the American
way. Absence of warning sticker is cause for suit.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:12:49 AM UTC-6, SBH wrote:

Maybe the government needs to mandate the companies
post a warning sticker "Do not push trash can while
sleeping or in bath tub with hair dryer energized".

.

I hope you're not serious. No offense to the daughter but her negligence
was due to her hurried agenda. Do we seriously need more government
interventions because a few people fail to view the obvious or common
sense then fall prey to the consequences?

....and then there is OSHA!

"Avoid pulling when possible. Pushing generally takes less effort than pulling because your body weight is used to assist the exertion. Also, pulling a load often causes carts to run into the shins or ankles."

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/ele...s/pushing.html)

Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
[...]

Hi,
That will be good exercise too I do that every two weeks not generating
too much trash or recyclables. Even on -30C cold days. Even if they are
full, not that heavy. Some times I can handle two at once. OP must be
an elderly senior? I am 74.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote in message

We have two trash containers that must be put out on our street each
Thursday. They have two wheels. One is for recyclables, and the other . .
. I've contemplated buying an used pickup truck, but I really have much
for a pickup truck. I've thought of maybe using something like a golf
cart, but it would require some work to put a fixture on it that would
hold the containers. Aside from that, I'm out of space in my garage to put
a golf cart in it.

Garden trolley carts are sold hereabouts for $100-125. Some are
stronger than others. Mine can carry 700 lb. yet rolls easily over grass.
One of its uses is to take out garbage (only 300 ft. but unpaved) in
winter and summer.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 21:00:31 -0800, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

This may be a stretch.

We have two trash containers that must be put out on our street each
Thursday. They have two wheels. One is for recyclables, and the other
for waste materials. Until recently, I could use an old 1997 Plymouth
van to put them into the back of the fan, and drive them about 750' out

You can lift a full or half-full trash can to put in the van, but you
can't, or don't like to, walk 1500' to roll it to the street?

to the street for a pickup, along with 7 other neighbors. Unfortunately,
the van died. Now I have to roll the containers the 750' down our
driveway and to the collection site where the pickup--paved all the way.
I really don't like rolling to the pickup site.

I've contemplated buying an used pickup truck, but I really have much
for a pickup truck. I've thought of maybe using something like a golf
cart, but it would require some work to put a fixture on it that would
hold the containers. Aside from that, I'm out of space in my garage to
put a golf cart in it. Maybe a motorized wagon might work. Parachutes,
zip lines, ... ? :-)

Comments?

Learn to like it. You can use the time to admire your property, Get
a walk-man to keep you company. If you can enjoy trolling here, you
can learn to enjoy the walk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote in message

[...]

Leave the two big containers "down front", maybe stashed behind a tree or
bush, and just haul smaller sacks to it you have occasion to go out.
That's what we do.

Anyone else remember daily trash pickups? Not to mention twice daily mail
delivery; Saturday too but only once IIRC.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 5:19 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I have a riding lawnmower, but fitting it would be tricky.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 12:24 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
On 11/20/2014 5:19 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
With these distances, I'd have to guess the OP or
someone near by has a riding lawn mower. Which can
be fitted with some kind of bracket to get the toters
there and back.
Christopher A. Young

I have a riding lawnmower, but fitting it would be tricky.

I have complete confidence in your abilities.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:14:49 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:

You can lift a full or half-full trash can to put in the van, but you
can't, or don't like to, walk 1500' to roll it to the street?

Learn to like it. You can use the time to admire your property, Get
a walk-man to keep you company. If you can enjoy trolling here, you
can learn to enjoy the walk.

Are you off your meds...this doesn't sound like you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 06:26:26 -0600, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

[...]

In many cases they will not do it for any price - and in some cases
cannot (truck too big, trees too low, etc)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 4:26 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
[...]

I'm sure they would balk at the idea. They want them at the pickup location.

Some years ago, when the county started using them, I found the county
knew of a mfg who built a rack for the back fender that would carry
them. I bought one, but it protruded from the rear, and part of it
weighed 40-50 pounds. It was a part that made it necessary to fasten it
to the rack whenever it was used. I sent it back to the mfg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 4:58 AM, philo wrote:
[...]

At the pickup point, we are at the bottom of a steep hill. I use it
pretty regularly for exercise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Taking out our trash

On 11/20/2014 5:17 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I like the federal idea. :-)

I really liked the van. I hauled stuff around our property, 3 acres.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 12:36 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
On 11/20/2014 5:17 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
* Hire neighborhood teens
* Write your congressman, and ask for federal aid

I like the federal idea. :-)

I really liked the van. I hauled stuff around our property, 3 acres.

Sounds like the van (or similar) is going to the
best answer, to replace the van that was working
before.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 6:06 AM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

That's funny!!!! I have one of those wagons. It's really been handy. I
think I'll see if they fit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Taking out our trash(A Winner!)

Comments?

Modified Golf cart
Trailer for car
Trailer for an ATV
Trailer for a bicycle/tricycle
Walk
Rollerblades/rollerskates

You can use a wagon such as this
http://www.northerntool.com/images/p...22_400x400.jpg
and
attach it to almost anything or simply load it with the cans, walk and
pull it.

That's funny!!!! I have one of those wagons. It's really been handy. I
think I'll see if they fit.

It looks to as though the two containers will fit in the wagon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 08:17:50 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

What ever you do, do not PUSH trash cans....my daughter got a compound
fracture of her nose doing that. She was in a hurry to get it out of
the driveway so she could pull her car in, the wheels dug in and she
fell with the rim of the can cutting across the bridge of her nose. The
plastic surgeon dug out pieces of plastic and said she was the third
person he had operated on for the same sort of injury.

Similar happened to a friend. Upper body into the container; nearly
putting his eye out and bruising about his face. He laughs about it
now, calls it the day "a trash can nearly whipped my ass."
--
Somtimes you just have a bad day at the dungeon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 09:36:59 -0800, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

I really liked the van. I hauled stuff around our property, 3 acres.

Okay. I have to ask. Why did the van die?
--
Somtimes you just have a bad day at the dungeon

Trash day can't come soon enough Puckdropper[_2_] Woodworking 23 March 4th 10 10:02 PM
trash can? Nate Nagel Home Repair 8 August 27th 07 05:52 AM
keep or trash: hot tub and deck? peter Home Repair 7 April 24th 06 05:09 AM
ENOUGH with the OT trash Rick Soulsby Woodworking 7 January 13th 06 03:22 PM
Trash Wood? Oregon Woodworking 7 May 28th 04 12:36 PM