Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Taking our our trash

On 11/20/14, 8:17 AM, Norminn wrote:
Leave the bins down there and carry out smaller bags to the bin....if
carrying a bag that far is a problem, get a folding shopping cart (not
the store kind) to roll it down to the bins. Even a child's wagon would
work. I have a nifty garden wagon/dumper that would haul heavier stuff
but not easy on soft surface.

I like that, but I'd put the smaller bags in the car and drop them off
on my way to the walking track.

What ever you do, do not PUSH trash cans....my daughter got a compound
fracture of her nose doing that. She was in a hurry to get it out of
the driveway so she could pull her car in, the wheels dug in and she
fell with the rim of the can cutting across the bridge of her nose. The
plastic surgeon dug out pieces of plastic and said she was the third
person he had operated on for the same sort of injury.

With our cans, the lid is hinged at the handle. I have to close the lid
to push or pull the handle, and the lid covers the rim.

I generally push on a firm surface because posture and control are
better. I pull on a lawn to avoid unpleasant surprises, even if not so
unpleasant as your daughter experienced.

I used to alternate between pushing and pulling a mower because it was
faster than turning around. I read that pulling was unsafe and took it
under advisement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 9:01 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/20/2014 8:17 AM, Norminn wrote:
What ever you do, do not PUSH trash cans....my daughter got a compound
fracture of her nose doing that. She was in a hurry to get it out of
the driveway so she could pull her car in, the wheels dug in and she
fell with the rim of the can cutting across the bridge of her nose. The
plastic surgeon dug out pieces of plastic and said she was the third
person he had operated on for the same sort of injury.

My condolences to your daughter.

That said,I'd never have thought of that, and you may
have helped a lot of people by writing it to the list.

Maybe the government needs to mandate the companies
post a warning sticker "Do not push trash can while
sleeping or in bath tub with hair dryer energized".

-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Her wound was pretty ugly, and came within a hair of her eye....she had
a good surgeon and healed up with no complications. She dialed 911 and
then thought better of it, wanting to select her own surgeon rather than
wind up with whomever was on call in ER....cop came out because she had
hung up on 911, and he grilled her to find out whether she had been
abused. Didn't even stick around until her MIL arrived to take her to
doc.

I've been a nurse and worked on safety committees and never ever heard
of such an injury before. She had fluid seeping through dressings after
surgery for four or five days, and I worried about spinal fluid from a
hidden skull fx. Being a nurse is usually good, but I know the bad
stuff to worry about )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 9:12 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 11/20/2014 9:01 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/20/2014 8:17 AM, Norminn wrote:
What ever you do, do not PUSH trash cans....my daughter got a compound
fracture of her nose doing that. She was in a hurry to get it out of
the driveway so she could pull her car in, the wheels dug in and she
fell with the rim of the can cutting across the bridge of her nose. The
plastic surgeon dug out pieces of plastic and said she was the third
person he had operated on for the same sort of injury.

My condolences to your daughter.

That said,I'd never have thought of that, and you may
have helped a lot of people by writing it to the list.

Maybe the government needs to mandate the companies
post a warning sticker "Do not push trash can while
sleeping or in bath tub with hair dryer energized".

.

I hope you're not serious. No offense to the daughter but her negligence
was due to her hurried agenda. Do we seriously need more government
interventions because a few people fail to view the obvious or common
sense then fall prey to the consequences?

What was obvious was that she had to park her car on a fast, two-lane
country road because the jerk trash collector left the barrels in her
driveway outside the closed gate. She had huge, heavy barrels and they
would probably be difficult to maneuver if she had tried to pull them;
she also was a single-mom and hobby farmer with a kid and animals to
care for. She is careful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Taking out our trash(A Winner!)

On 11/20/2014 1:10 PM, W. eWatson wrote:

Comments?

Modified Golf cart
Trailer for car
Trailer for an ATV
Trailer for a bicycle/tricycle
Walk
Rollerblades/rollerskates

You can use a wagon such as this
http://www.northerntool.com/images/p...22_400x400.jpg

and
attach it to almost anything or simply load it with the cans, walk and
pull it.

That's funny!!!! I have one of those wagons. It's really been handy. I
think I'll see if they fit.

It looks to as though the two containers will fit in the wagon.

Not certain what size your containers are, but I can fit two of my 55
gallon cans in mine and have used it for that purpose. Though, I only
have about 100 feet to walk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 12:00 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
This may be a stretch.

We have two trash containers that must be put out on our street each
Thursday. They have two wheels. One is for recyclables, and the other
for waste materials. Until recently, I could use an old 1997 Plymouth
van to put them into the back of the fan, and drive them about 750' out
to the street for a pickup, along with 7 other neighbors. Unfortunately,
the van died. Now I have to roll the containers the 750' down our
driveway and to the collection site where the pickup--paved all the way.
I really don't like rolling to the pickup site.

Comments?

The answer depends on your reason for not walking them down. If you are
80 years old and crippled with arthritis, my answer is different than if
you are 25 years old and lazy.

If you are capable of walking, but the containers are awkward, I'd make
either a wagon to pull or a cart to push,something like this
http://www.mcmaster.com/#platform-trucks/=uohvbr

A better design though is to move the steering wheels fore and aft. Put
two fixed casters in the center. Put the swivel casters one in the
front middle, the other in the back middle. This allows fast, easy
steering. We use them where I work in sizes from 2 x 4 to 5 x 10. Use
large casters.

Carts work well up or down hill, wagons are not as easy going down.

Healthy walking is 10,000 steps a day so this is a good start.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 12:00 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
This may be a stretch.

We have two trash containers that must be put out on our street each
Thursday. They have two wheels. One is for recyclables, and the other
for waste materials. Until recently, I could use an old 1997 Plymouth
van to put them into the back of the fan, and drive them about 750' out
to the street for a pickup, along with 7 other neighbors. Unfortunately,
the van died. Now I have to roll the containers the 750' down our
driveway and to the collection site where the pickup--paved all the way.
I really don't like rolling to the pickup site.

I've contemplated buying an used pickup truck, but I really have much
for a pickup truck. I've thought of maybe using something like a golf
cart, but it would require some work to put a fixture on it that would
hold the containers. Aside from that, I'm out of space in my garage to
put a golf cart in it. Maybe a motorized wagon might work. Parachutes,
zip lines, ... ? :-)

Comments?

Thinking further, if you have a long drive, is it safe to assume you
have a huge yard? Thus, is it safe to assume you have a riding mower?
Perhaps you can attach a trailer or that wagon I stated and pull with
the mower.

Just a thought.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Taking out our trash

On 11/20/2014 1:18 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 09:36:59 -0800, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

I really liked the van. I hauled stuff around our property, 3 acres.

Okay. I have to ask. Why did the van die?

Because it's life was over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 11:14 AM, micky wrote:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 21:00:31 -0800, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

This may be a stretch.

We have two trash containers that must be put out on our street each
Thursday. They have two wheels. One is for recyclables, and the other
for waste materials. Until recently, I could use an old 1997 Plymouth
van to put them into the back of the fan, and drive them about 750' out

You can lift a full or half-full trash can to put in the van, but you
can't, or don't like to, walk 1500' to roll it to the street?

to the street for a pickup, along with 7 other neighbors. Unfortunately,
the van died. Now I have to roll the containers the 750' down our
driveway and to the collection site where the pickup--paved all the way.
I really don't like rolling to the pickup site.

I've contemplated buying an used pickup truck, but I really have much
for a pickup truck. I've thought of maybe using something like a golf
cart, but it would require some work to put a fixture on it that would
hold the containers. Aside from that, I'm out of space in my garage to
put a golf cart in it. Maybe a motorized wagon might work. Parachutes,
zip lines, ... ? :-)

Comments?

Learn to like it. You can use the time to admire your property, Get
a walk-man to keep you company. If you can enjoy trolling here, you
can learn to enjoy the walk.

a Walk-man? Audio device?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-11-20, W. eWatson wrote:

I've thought of maybe using something like a golf cart, but it would
require some work to put a fixture on it that would hold the
containers. Aside from that, I'm out of space in my garage to put a
golf cart in it.

What horsepucky!! I have a electric golf cart, to which I often hook
this garden/utility trailer to:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10-Cube-St...-Cart/10135857

The hitch I made used a 3/8" ring bolt and some lock and fender
washers and nuts. Cost about $5 and required I drill a single hole.
Besides, you don't need a garage. Golf carts are made to live
outdoors and be abused by fat old drunks who can barely see, let alone
drive. In short, the damn things are built like Mack trucks and are
made to last forever. Mine is over 25 yrs old and looks/works like
new. I may not even bother to put my Winter rain cover (w/ zippers
and windows) on, this yr. It's not like cold weather or precip is
gonna hurt it. BTW, I don't have a garage.

Besides, if you can afford to pave 250 yds of driveway, why do you
even care? Pay an illegal alien (oops ...undocumented!) to do it for
you.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 15:10:45 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

I really liked the van. I hauled stuff around our property, 3 acres.

Okay. I have to ask. Why did the van die?

Because it's life was over.

Why?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 11:31 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
On 11/20/2014 4:26 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 11/19/2014 11:00 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
[...]

How much more would the trash hauler charge to come up your driveway
and
pick up the bins at the garage?

I'm sure they would balk at the idea. They want them at the pickup
location.

Some years ago, when the county started using them, I found the county
knew of a mfg who built a rack for the back fender that would carry
them. I bought one, but it protruded from the rear, and part of it
weighed 40-50 pounds. It was a part that made it necessary to fasten
it to the rack whenever it was used. I sent it back to the mfg.

Okay, next suggestion: a John Deere Gator utility vehicle.
https://www.deere.com/en_INT/product...vehicles.page?

You might find one second hand. They're used a lot on farms and resorts.
http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/lis...TOR+ XUV+825I
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 8:12 AM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

This is just Stormie venting his ignorant hatred of his country's
government. Folks like him hate the government, but love collecting
their government bennies - Social Security, Medicare, disability checks...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 15:07:41 -0600, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

This is just Stormie venting his ignorant hatred of his country's
government. Folks like him hate the government, but love collecting
their government bennies - Social Security, Medicare, disability checks...

I disagree. He doesn't like having the government functions, trying to
control his life. I have none of the "bennies" you mention.

You just may be the ignorant one here. "Stormie", in all his postings
have never said he hated the government - only saying disapproval of
policies.

Maybe an idiot will trust their government?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:10:58 -0800, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

It looks to as though the two containers will fit in the wagon.

If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/14, 3:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Our municipal cans have 12" wheels 1.5" wide. The handles are at belt
height. Can't beat that.

In 1996, I had my driveway shortened from 2100' to 35'. Now when I take
my can to the street, I find it simpler not to tie it to my spare tire
and tow it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 4:07 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 11/20/2014 9:01 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Maybe the government needs to mandate the companies
post a warning sticker "Do not push trash can while
sleeping or in bath tub with hair dryer energized".

This is just Stormie venting his ignorant hatred of his country's
government. Folks like him hate the government, but love collecting
their government bennies - Social Security, Medicare, disability checks...

I feel so much better, Sigmund. Now, may I go back
to telling you about my mother?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This is just Stormie venting his ignorant hatred of his country's
government. Folks like him hate the government, but love collecting
their government bennies - Social Security, Medicare, disability checks...

I disagree. He doesn't like having the government functions, trying to
control his life. I have none of the "bennies" you mention.

You just may be the ignorant one here. "Stormie", in all his postings
have never said he hated the government - only saying disapproval of
policies.

Maybe an idiot will trust their government?

There was a movie, and maybe a book about
"kids like these" and one woman's fight to
humanize the treatment of all the uh, well,
"kids like these".

I guess I'm "people like these" and I have
been described as such. Guess I should call
my case worker in the morning, and apologize?

Please may I have permission?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 6:43 PM, J Burns wrote:
In 1996, I had my driveway shortened from 2100' to 35'. Now when I take
my can to the street, I find it simpler not to tie it to my spare tire
and tow it.

How the heck did they do that? Put it in the
dryer under cotton until it shrank?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 9:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/20/2014 9:02 AM, Frank wrote:
To add to thread, I spoke to someone from the UK about what they do.

Like op, I have 2 containers, one for recyclable and one for regular
trash.

Friend in UK says they have about 7 different containers to separate the
recyclables and different pick-up days.

I'd think the whole island would sink under the weight of all these
trash containers

Thanks, needed the laugh. I guess PC, or politically
correct, has taken hold in UK.

Good thing they are not Guam, one of our US elected
ridicules said that might tip over and sink.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I remember when the trash company dropped off the recycle container.
It and the other container are pretty large.

I yelled out to them, "Where the **** am I supposed to put my cars?"

I can fit them in my garage but most have them outside despoiling the
landscape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 3:10 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 11/20/2014 1:18 PM, Oren wrote:
I really liked the van. I hauled stuff around our property, 3 acres.

Okay. I have to ask. Why did the van die?

Because it's life was over.

To get away from the chicken who was fleeing
Col. Sanders on the other side? Did you open
other end, put windshield wipers on the inside,
and have your windows fall out after you
gulped your martini instead of sipped it?
Can you go up the chimney down? And BTW,
who greased the vine?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 7:00 PM, Frank wrote:

I remember when the trash company dropped off the recycle container.
It and the other container are pretty large.

I yelled out to them, "Where the **** am I supposed to put my cars?"

I can fit them in my garage but most have them outside despoiling the
landscape.

Did the trash driver have any words of
gentle wisdom in reply to your question?

Miss Manners would have worded that a bit
more gently, but what the f**k?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 6:43 PM, J Burns wrote:

In 1996, I had my driveway shortened from 2100' to 35'.

Wow, how did they do that? Cut a big trench and push the house towards
the street?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 9:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/20/2014 6:43 PM, J Burns wrote:

In 1996, I had my driveway shortened from 2100' to 35'.

Wow, how did they do that? Cut a big trench and push the house towards
the street?

I'm going with the clothes dryer on cotton
setting theory. Of course, if they invent
polyester driveways, I could change that.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 11/20/2014 9:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/20/2014 6:43 PM, J Burns wrote:

In 1996, I had my driveway shortened from 2100' to 35'.

Wow, how did they do that? Cut a big trench and push the house towards
the street?

I'm going with the clothes dryer on cotton
setting theory. Of course, if they invent
polyester driveways, I could change that.

-

no, he just built a new garage. But now the hike from the house to the new
garage is about 2000 feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/14, 9:47 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 11/20/2014 9:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/20/2014 6:43 PM, J Burns wrote:

In 1996, I had my driveway shortened from 2100' to 35'.

Wow, how did they do that? Cut a big trench and push the house towards
the street?

I'm going with the clothes dryer on cotton
setting theory. Of course, if they invent
polyester driveways, I could change that.

-

no, he just built a new garage. But now the hike from the house to the new
garage is about 2000 feet.

It's now 4 miles to the hen house, and they don't like me shooting from
my porch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/14, 1:10 PM, W. eWatson wrote:

Comments?

Modified Golf cart
Trailer for car
Trailer for an ATV
Trailer for a bicycle/tricycle
Walk
Rollerblades/rollerskates

You can use a wagon such as this
http://www.northerntool.com/images/p...22_400x400.jpg

and
attach it to almost anything or simply load it with the cans, walk and
pull it.

That's funny!!!! I have one of those wagons. It's really been handy. I
think I'll see if they fit.

It looks to as though the two containers will fit in the wagon.

Like Ed, I wonder if steering a wagon downhill on pavement would be
convenient.

I don't know what kind of cans you have. Mine has 12" wheels and a
plastic rail across the back at belt height. It should work better than
a wagon, downhill on pavement.

If I wanted to move two on one trip, I'd lash the rails to a broomstick.
A loop around the end of the stick, several turns around the stick and
each rail, and tie the cord to the other end of the stick.

If your can wheels are inadequate and a wagon is a nuisance to steer,
what about a lightweight two-wheeled truck with light boards tied to it,
to hold two cans?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 wrote:

Not only are there golf carts, but there are also similar small
electric vehicles with flat beds, designed for hauling stuff around
that would be more appropriate.

Yep. That is what the gardeners use at the botanical garden. Not cheap.
This one is $10,995:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261659871415

Cheaper is a used golf cart with platform on the back:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291303368043
But the OP doesn't have space in his garage for one.

My mom uses a garden wagon. Somewhat like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151484721694

Maybe the OP could use something to tow it. (There are many listings for
this cart on eBay.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 15:04:48 -0600, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Okay, next suggestion: a John Deere Gator utility vehicle.
https://www.deere.com/en_INT/product...vehicles.page?

Can they be left outside? The OP doesn't have any more room in the garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014, Frank wrote:

Friend in UK says they have about 7 different containers to separate the
recyclables and different pick-up days.

When I was in Ireland I came across a collection point. There were
different containers for different colored glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014, Frank wrote:

I yelled out to them, "Where the **** am I supposed to put my cars?"

I can fit them in my garage but most have them outside despoiling the
landscape.

Here in brownstone Brooklyn everybody displays their trash containers in
their areaway. We have four: garbage, paper, glass/plastic/metal, and
kitchen/yard waste.

I keep mine hidden under the stoop. Others could also, but they don't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/14, 5:06 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014, Frank wrote:

Friend in UK says they have about 7 different containers to separate the
recyclables and different pick-up days.

When I was in Ireland I came across a collection point. There were
different containers for different colored glass.

Back when you could buy beverages in glass, they used to do that in my
town, population 600. White, green, amber, IIRC.

Trash day can't come soon enough Puckdropper[_2_] Woodworking 23 March 4th 10 10:02 PM
trash can? Nate Nagel Home Repair 8 August 27th 07 05:52 AM
keep or trash: hot tub and deck? peter Home Repair 7 April 24th 06 05:09 AM
ENOUGH with the OT trash Rick Soulsby Woodworking 7 January 13th 06 03:22 PM
Trash Wood? Oregon Woodworking 7 May 28th 04 12:36 PM