Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Taking our our trash

On 11/20/14, 8:17 AM, Norminn wrote:
Leave the bins down there and carry out smaller bags to the bin....if
carrying a bag that far is a problem, get a folding shopping cart (not
the store kind) to roll it down to the bins. Even a child's wagon would
work. I have a nifty garden wagon/dumper that would haul heavier stuff
but not easy on soft surface.

I like that, but I'd put the smaller bags in the car and drop them off
on my way to the walking track.

What ever you do, do not PUSH trash cans....my daughter got a compound
fracture of her nose doing that. She was in a hurry to get it out of
the driveway so she could pull her car in, the wheels dug in and she
fell with the rim of the can cutting across the bridge of her nose. The
plastic surgeon dug out pieces of plastic and said she was the third
person he had operated on for the same sort of injury.

With our cans, the lid is hinged at the handle. I have to close the lid
to push or pull the handle, and the lid covers the rim.

I generally push on a firm surface because posture and control are
better. I pull on a lawn to avoid unpleasant surprises, even if not so
unpleasant as your daughter experienced.

I used to alternate between pushing and pulling a mower because it was
faster than turning around. I read that pulling was unsafe and took it
under advisement.