Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Taking our our trash

On 11/20/2014 12:00 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
This may be a stretch.

We have two trash containers that must be put out on our street each
Thursday. They have two wheels. One is for recyclables, and the other
for waste materials. Until recently, I could use an old 1997 Plymouth
van to put them into the back of the fan, and drive them about 750' out
to the street for a pickup, along with 7 other neighbors. Unfortunately,
the van died. Now I have to roll the containers the 750' down our
driveway and to the collection site where the pickup--paved all the way.
I really don't like rolling to the pickup site.

Comments?

The answer depends on your reason for not walking them down. If you are
80 years old and crippled with arthritis, my answer is different than if
you are 25 years old and lazy.

If you are capable of walking, but the containers are awkward, I'd make
either a wagon to pull or a cart to push,something like this
http://www.mcmaster.com/#platform-trucks/=uohvbr

A better design though is to move the steering wheels fore and aft. Put
two fixed casters in the center. Put the swivel casters one in the
front middle, the other in the back middle. This allows fast, easy
steering. We use them where I work in sizes from 2 x 4 to 5 x 10. Use
large casters.

Carts work well up or down hill, wagons are not as easy going down.

Healthy walking is 10,000 steps a day so this is a good start.